How to legally use music in an iPhone app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Newbie2011, May 31, 2011.

1. Newbie2011

Newbie2011 New Member

May 30, 2011
    Hi honorable TouchArcade community,

I’m new to the iPhone games development business and I’ve come here for help.

For my first project, I have an idea to use a popular tune of a well-known rock band. I suppose an intellectual property right issue will arise in this case.
    Has anyone ever used music in their games and how such issues are usually solved and legally regulated?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    You will have to contact the publisher to negotiate licensing terms. If you only want a segment, publishers often have a price per second and a minimum amount. The cost varies a lot so it would be impossible to ballpark it.

3. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    If you want to use an actual recording of a song by a well known band, then you need clearance from the record company as well as the music publisher. If you're going to reproduce the track yourself, then you just need clearance from the publisher. They'll have standard rates based on who the artist is, how well known the track is etc etc. It's really important to get all the clearances done before you try and release though, and don't forget that a song might be owned by one record company in one country, but could be owned by a different company elsewhere in the world, so if you're planning to release worldwide, you could end up having to clear the track with multiple companies.

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I stumbled across this site where you can explain your musical requirements and people compete to win the prize you offer. It was interesting to listen to the submissions. Some were really good.

http://www.audiodraft.com/sourcing/contests/

5. Marco.drum

Marco.drum Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    music
    Italy
    Just use composers, trow in the bin free royalties music ;)

6. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Astaware is mostly right: if you want the original recording, the record company gets involved, and if you want to re-record the song then it's just the publishers.

But there are no "standard rates:" I once had a deal on a song for a state-wide lottery commercial and had the publisher ramp up the price ten times because they got a offer for a national spot before our spot even got produced. Also, there is no "price per second" that I've ever heard of and I've licensed a fair number of famous songs for advertising purposes. If you use any recognizable portion, then you've used the whole song as far as they're concerned.

Keep in mind that the App Store is worldwide, so as Astra pointed out, you're looking at a blanket license, for the world, forever. Even a minor hit from 50 years ago can cost you tens of thousands just for a single US state for a year or two.

Also, if you're thinking of using someone else's music and you "suppose" an intellectual property issue will arise, you need some schooling. Buy or borrow from your library a copy of "This Business Of Music" and pay special attention to the sections on synchronization rights. That will tell you everything about how this kind of use is legally regulated.

7. asumsky

asumsky Member

May 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    original music

definitely don't use anything copyrighted without knowing exactly how you're allowed to use it. I don't know what kind of access you have to using original music, but that is gonna be your best bet in terms avoiding any kind of legal trouble. if you know someone who likes to do that kind of stuff or even if you have garageband or something similar, using original music is the safest route and is more interesting for the player :) in addition, people make a living off this stuff, don't be afraid to hire out to get some really high quality music.

8. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Another vote for original music if you can. I've just done some new music for an update using an iPad app called studio.HD. People I have played it to are surprised by the quality of the track, because I have no music ability at all.

I have arranged to work with a musician for my next game.

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    In "the biz" we would obtain a music sync license; the cost of which is in part determined by the requested length. Does that licensing option not exist for games?

10. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
  11. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    #11 Astraware, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    When I said "standard rates" I wasn't very clear, I was just meaning that for regularly licensed tracks the record label and publisher will have pre-agreed rates with their artists for usage. :)

Another book which covers the music industry is Donald Passman's All You Need to Know About The Music Business. Licensing a song for worldwide use is pretty complex and likely to be very expensive, which is why the majority of games don't use it.

If you're really serious about proceeding with the idea, then maybe the Tap Tap Revenge guys may be worth approaching for help or info, as they've already been through the process.

Alison

12. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    #12 Gravity Jim, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    I've licensed lots of copyrighted material for advertising and events, and while the length of the spot may effect the negotiated price, I've never heard of that being translated into a "price per second." As I said, if you only play the 3-second hook, you've played the whole song/record.

This thread illustrates the point I bring up every time one of these threads comes up: don't ask for legal advice on an internet forum, unless you're specifically looking for a confusing backwash of contradictory guesses. Read a book, call a lawyer, talk to the publishers to get the real information.

13. You would be best off trying to recreate something very similar to what you want to license...Of course, I can also put myself forward for any musical needs!