Home Sharing Apps = less money for Devs?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by FlawlessCowboy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Active Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Just wondered how Devs feel now that you can share your Apps with up to 5 other computers on a LAN in iTunes 9, essentially meaning only one person has to buy the App and then he / she can share it with their friends!

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Apple has always supported sharing paid content with 5 computers. That is not a change. The only change is that now you don't have to all be on the same computer - but the limitations still prevail - it won't be any different than is has been since the iTunes store opened. This won't turn anything into a massive share fest. Most people probably will not have any interest in having their neighbors be able to use their LANs - as sharing the iTunes apps won't be the only thing that is shared - you open up your LAN - its carte blanche to your computer...

3. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i opened home sharing but i dont know how to use it :eek:

4. FlawlessCowboy

Jun 9, 2009
    Fair enough, I was unaware of this. But maybe this shows why it may hurtful to Devs now because it has been brought more into the spotlight.

My point still stands - I could buy the TomTom app, and then share it with my 4 friends for free as long as we are on a LAN. So instead of making £300, they make only £60!

5. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    They have to be on the same iTunes account, not just the same LAN, so in my opinion it's no different than it has been. It's always been easy to share apps. For example I have an iPhone and my wife has an iPod touch. We both use the same iTunes account on our devices, so if she buys an app, I can go to the app store and download it, as soon as it starts to install it says I have already bought the app and can download it again for free.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Can two iPhones share the same account? My wife and I have been debating getting iPhones at some point and it would be nice to share all the apps I've purchased between them...

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yes, 2 iPhones can sync to the same computer. If you are syncing to different computers, then you will have to have your iTunes account on both computers.

8. FlawlessCowboy

Jun 9, 2009
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2009/09/itunes-9s-new-interface-causing-app-sales-to-drop/

My guess is the fact that App sharing is now more so, public knowledge.

I'd also like to point out, I was following the keynote on around 3 different websites (Macworld, Engadget and I can't remember the last one). When the info popped up about Home Sharing / App sharing, it came as a suprise to all of them and they all mentioned how they'd get 'confirmation' on the ability to share Apps.

I imagine since the keynote, this has got alot of press on Mac related sites since the ones I followed seemed to know nothing of the ability to share apps. It seems this has had a detrimental effect on App store sales, as the article above, suggests.

9. My wife and I share apps on our two phones. It's always been supported by iTunes, as has been said, so long as it's all from the same computer. Bear in mind however that the phones/touches that sync those apps must be authorized on the computer that paid for them; you can't just bring friends over and sync whatever you downloaded to their devices if their devices have already been authorized on another computer; if you want to do that, you'd have to authorize their devices for your computer, and that will wipe all of their existing content and make it so that they can only sync on your computer.

They could install on-device using your account login and password, but unless they want to set their own iTunes at home up with your login and password to the store (thus becoming one of the 5 authorized computers), they won't be able to sync it back to their home computer.

10. FlawlessCowboy

Jun 9, 2009
    This has already been pointed out and I have acknowledged the fact that this has long been something that iTunes store users have been able to do.

My point is, however, that it seems regardless of this fact, many many people such as myself and it seems alot of the Mac related journalistic websites, were not aware of such a thing.

Do the Devs think now that is has been so publicy announced that it will harm sales on the App store? The article I posted above seems to prove this fact, no?

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    When I got my new iTouch my son took over my 1gen. He wanted a few of the apps that i had and kept them on there. However he eventually had to make a choice because the iTouch wouldn't synch both accounts simultaneously.

It appears that all this does is make it easier to download an app on one computer and have it appear on another that is on the same ACCOUNT not necessarily LAN. You could always have 5 computers authorized to used your account. I don't see this as that big of a change.