What kind of game doesn't need a pause function?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ktfright, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    (Now before any comments are spoken on this, please don't flame me on this topic!!! I am simply asking.)

I wanted to ask, what kind of games do not need to have a pause function? Or do all games, no matter how small or simple, need to have pause?

I am asking because one of my games not mentioned in my sig is so simple, its pretty pointless to have a pause function. it's a small, casual game that you play until you run out of stuff to drop, and then you restart again.

2. #2 Broken Thumbs Apps, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    I don't think the pause function is a requirement for all games, and it will depend on whether it makes sense for your game in terms of user experience and gameplay. Maybe when you beta test the game, you can have some people try out one version with a pause button and some without and see what they have to say about the presence/absence of that fuction?

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    An in-game pause function might not be needed for every game, but you really should add some sort of pausing to gracefully handle system interruptions - phone calls, alarms, notifications, music player, etc. Once you do that however, you might as well just add a proper in-game pause too.

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I think pause should be implemented, even in a small game.

5. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Does having pause in a simple game make it less addictive? Canabalt has no pause, but is still good.

6. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    The thing is it's not the game that matters, even a short game.

If you can pause a game for more than a few seconds you can probably not get back in the 'zone'. Pause a driving game and when you come back you'll probably screw up the first corner if the break has been too long for you. Fast paced games like Canabalt are the same, fast puzzle games too. Where reaction is not an issue then I don't suppose it matters but otherwise I think pausing a game could be a problem.

And if you are anything like me it's always the best games that last just that bit longer than the others and you have to pause. And it then goes wrong...

7. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    all non-real-time games (eg. turn based strategy games) do not need a pause, obviously.

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I have played plenty of games that don't require a pause; like Drop7, Smiles, Solitaire, Minesweeper, etc. It depends completely on the type of game. I think, generally, if a game has any time elements, has any reaction mechanics, or accelerometer use that could result in accidental input, you should put a pause in. At the end of the day, you'll discover if your game requires a pause screen or not while beta testing. :)

9. unparagoned

unparagoned Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Turn based games don't need a pause button. I think they are perfect. I've just finished mine and am about to upload it to the app store. It's called Barbarians: the fall. Look out for it in a couple of weeks(months).

10. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    Having a 2 yr old that loves to grab things. I believe that ALL games should have pause function. That or a auto save/resume incase the battery dies or some "Little" one steals my device mid level.

11. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    The real problem, is what games shouldn't have mute when the iphone is in silent mode? There has been more than once or twice when my phone starts blasting random game music from an app I just bought during lectures =/