How to charge for multiplayer on a Free App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PlayScreen, Apr 14, 2011.

1. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Your opinion on offering network (PvP) play on a free app (in this case our Bocce-Ball game).

What would be preferable?

1. In-App purchase for 99¢ to add network play?

2. No charge for the network play ... but a full screen video ad you watch (and can skip) before playing a network game, with an option to do an In-App purchase of 99¢ to turn off all ads (including the banners).

Does the free version of "Words with Friends" (I only have the paid version) show a video ad?

Thank you.

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I hate video ads etc. I would prefer to pay the 59p for the network play.

3. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    So, you would prefer a 59p payment for multiplayer as opposed to a 59p payment to turn off the video ad. Yes?

(and thanks)

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The second idea sounds better to me. pavarotti2007 said he hates ads and would prefer to pay... well he'd get that anyway with the second option, wouldn't he? I think you'd get a lot more players if they could play for free and even those who decide the game isn't for them would get you a couple of ad hits along the way.

5. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    both?
    ads, then pay to remove them

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Don't both of the above amount to the same thing? It just means those who choose to pay will find more opponents. I hate ads as well but not as much as endlessly staring at a "searching for games" screen.

Any game on the iOS that attempts to sell itself on its multiplayer primarily, must have a free entry point unless you're already an established developer or franchise.

7. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    The app itself would remain free. You can see it here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bocce-ball/id414782227?mt=8

It's the network play that would be the in-app purchase OR video-ad 'sponsored' (with an in-app purchase to turn all ads off).

What we have seen in the past, as with Fruit Ninja, is a Free version without network play and a paid version that has network play.

Since we'd rather not have a separate paid version, the idea of using an in-app purchase for the network play has been suggested.

FYI: We recently updated the app with improvements to the scoring and game play as well as a tutorial.

Thank you.

8. falken

falken Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I may be in the minority, but I don't do in app purchases. If you had a "Lite" version without network play and I enjoyed the game and wanted network play I would have no problems buying the full version. I have in app purchases disabled in the restrictions menu even.

9. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    That's interesting. I have not heard this complaint before. Maybe we would have to release a 'full' version to address that?

10. DarwinAce

DarwinAce Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    i vote for no ads, in app purchase... i hate ads.

Product placement should be the option to finance games in the future, sadly it's really dificult to add dynamic support for such a thing to enable companies to offer it, just like the current ads in iphone games.