Does Story Matter?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dfets, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dfets

dfets Active Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Sorcerer
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Hi guys...
    In the era of mobile gaming today, does story matter to you? Or it is just a nice to have/side dish to a mobile game?
    What game do you think have the best story?

For me I love Angry Bird's story, cliche but I think it has a smart twist.

2. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes,it does matter.
    i really like zenonia, a main reason is for its story.
    if jetpack joyride has a story mode,it would definitely be better to me.:)

3. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    It has one. "Steal jetpack and get out!" :D

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
  5. Timbal

Timbal New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Web Developer
    Sofia,Bulgaria
    Of course it matters, without story and progress the game gets you bored very quickly ! :rolleyes:

6. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    It depends on the game. If you have a sports game or a casual game - I don't care. If you have something bigger (RPG / Adventure) it sure does.

7. dfets

dfets Active Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Sorcerer
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    I agree bigger games needs story. But how about casual one? I understand that some of you didn't care.

But, let's say Angry Bird, IMO it's a casual game, and it has a story, do you guys pay attention to it? Right at this moment can you recall what was it? Or you just don't care, and completely clueless about it.

And then, if you pay attention to it, does the story somehow contribute to your buying decision?

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I've never paid attention to an iOS game story I don't think.. I paid attention to pokemon because.. Well how can you not? But I don't think any iOS games have really forced me to read the story.. Maybe "shantaes revenge" but that's about it.. I don't think story lines matter to casual gamers.. I'm sure RPG/adventure buffs would .. But I mainly play assail puzzle games that rarely hVe a story.. And when they do it's a silly basic story that makes no sense and adds nothing extra to the game (ie droopy blocks, story was something about the blocks melting, I thought it was silly and unnecessary but I loved the game..) My pet hate is cinematics though, they add so much bulk to the file size and add little entertainment! Id much rather no story line and a small file size rather then vice versa

9. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

but what about a game with unlimited levels. But each are short bursts. Does that get borinng??

10. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i don't care much for stories. i think that a good game tells the story using the gameplay atmosphere (graphics and sound). i usually skip story cut-scenes unless they are really spectacular. meaning: i skip all dialogues in RPGs :)

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    There are certain games like RPGs, action/adventure and point-and-click, that NEED a story or they will get boring very quickly.

Most casual games like match-3s, physics puzzlers, DDSs and the like don't need a story as long as the gameplay hooks you in. Look at Beat Hazard, there's no story but it's addictive as hell.

That's not to say that a story wouldn't help keep your attention in a casual game, particularly platformers. But there are quite a few casual games I've played that did have stories and I didn't really even pay attention to them.

So basically, it just depends on the type of game. Sometimes you can get away with out it and in others it's almost a necessity.

12. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I dont think there's a single mobile game that i've paid attention to or cared about the story.

Except for maybe Dead Space and Hector

probably because the majority of my games are only quick 5 minute type casual games

13. Dr. Deviation

Dr. Deviation Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Story matters to a much greater extent in console and PC games. My love for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout comes from their marvelous amount of lore and story. There are hundreds of side stories and subplots embedded into these extraordinary games. However, now that iDevices have seen many more profound and "hardcore" games, story is beginning to be a factor to be considered carefully. I enjoyed following the stories of Aralon and Ravensword. And Fruit Ninja has an incredible and often overlooked narrative!

14. Tim Slim

Tim Slim Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Stories in games are a bit of a bug bear of mine. As EfratBarTal says, a good game should tell its story through its gameplay. Unfortunately, most go for badly acted, poorly written cutscenes. And if I want to watch a crap story story, then I'll watch a crap film.

I do think a context and setting are important, but I don't believe games are best used when they're trying to tell a story.

The perfect example for me is GTA San Andreas, which from what I could tell, is a story about a man trapped by his surroundings. How many players actually felt any connection to CJ, or sympathised towards his plight? How many even noticed?

15. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    In response to OP, depends on how the story's told. I don't enjoy large epics on iOS.
    But I did enjoy games like "Ellie... help me out please". Absolutely brilliant.

I've also been thinking of some ideas to bring interesting stories to iOS in new ways better fit to the platform and the context in which users use it, such as smaller chunks of story perhaps. Hopefully I'll manage to turn them real at some point. :rolleyes: