Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Will the sandwich have tegra turkey effects? If not you can keep it:D

I really like difficulty of the third area. I think a new game+ would be great in this game! Carry over all your loot with increased difficulty.

2. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Hahaha :D

Glad you are enjoying the difficulty! Have you tried replaying missions yet? We stuck in a special "golden enemy" for your next play through that is harder and that will often drop goodies like blueprints!

Also new game + is a very good idea!

3. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Nice! I haven't yet, cause I've yet to finish the game, but good to know!

4. RunnyGnome

RunnyGnome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Days ago, huh? How many days ago?

By the way, The framerate actaully isn't an issue for me. I've been getting a constant 20-25 FPS, which is pretty dang good if I do say so myself.

5. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=148183][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148395][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148402][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148429][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148544][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=148399][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148400][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148391][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148388][​IMG][/thread] [thread=148392][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]HORN[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    15/08/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to wake up to find your village over run by large fantastic, and sometimes humorous, monsters?

[size=+3][thread=148535]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    08-23-2012 at 08:13 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

6. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    So, I finished the story last night and thoroughly enjoyed the game. Some of the Westernessse levels are huge, and the difficulty becomes quite a challenge towards the end. I will continue to play in the arenas to buy some new costumes and weapons, and now that I know about the additional golden enemy, I look forward to replaying missions as well. Top marks to the guys at Phosphor - this is one of the best iOS experiences yet.

7. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    For anyone that played this game sell me on it I'm on the fence.

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Full high-quality (although a little British) voiceover, Infinity Blade gameplay with free movement between fights, decent story, decent length, decent graphics (unless you're on an iPhone 4 or lower) and just in general one hell of a game.

9. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Sanuku has posted almost 4 hours of gameplay videos on the first page of this thread. That should give you a little taster of the game. ;)

10. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    There is a big on one of the levels after fighting the maroon monster. The ame just crashes. Always. Anyone else having this problem??
    I have an iPhone 4S

11. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Ha ha, I like how you say a little British as if that is a downside. ;)

12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't mind letting you stay on the fence.

13. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    #533 iosgamer4s, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    I would prefer cores to spawn more often. I find myself having to purchase since cores are hard to come by.

other suggestions:

1 - fix Horn getting stuck in corners/stones randomly during gameplay (I got stuck four times in a row in Westernesse already)

2 - more saves/checkpoints

3 - from number 1. Please make checkpoints more resilient. Right now, to get out of being stuck, force quitting or restarting the game causes the game to revert to the very beginning of the level. Checkpoint progress is completely lost.

4 - move the life and crossowbutton farther apart. I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally pressed the restore life button instead of the crossbow.

5 - have the pygon currency and core purchases intact when starting a new game. I've plunked down $20 in purchases already. It seems a little unfair to start with zero, especially when real currency is involved. IB2 has pretty good inventory and money system that I think should be good to be emulated or at least used as a reference.

6 - please make the level that we should be pressing to move forward in the game be more obvious (intermittent glowing perhaps). It gets hard to guess when two or three are all highlighted. I've already accidentally clicked on the previous level twice (once in suddene and one in westernesse) and repeated that level not by choice.

7 - how about adding a shield and the ability to parry?

8 - weapon upgrades seem a little flat against tougher enemies. Switching from sword to battle axe to a staff seems to cause equal amount of damage even with upgrades. Again IB2 seem to have weapon physics down pat.

14. 40teeth

40teeth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    So the game length's about 20 hrs?
    How about replayability? Is the plotline any good?
    This game reminds me a lot of ICO and the battles looks really cool but I'm not a fan of ios RPGs. Probably because of touch controls.

15. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I'm really quite enjoying this (gave it my game of the week vote), even the control scheme is enjoyable to me to be honest, though I can certainly see the validity of giving a d-pad option. Playing it on an iphone 4, runs absolutely fine framerate wise.

I will admit however, I am disappointed in the graphics a bit. I was under the impression that the iphone 4 would not have all the effects (I was thinking shadows, sparkles, water etc) but I didn't know it wouldn't have retina (wow I'd forgotten what a difference it makes!), still pretty enough but dissappointing all the same, still, was warned in the advert that it was designed for 4s etc so I suppose it is a case of caveat emptor.

All in all and after playing it for a bit now I'd definitely recommend to iphone 4 users if they're unsure. Just hope the new iphone is announced next month so I can stick this on it and see it as it should be played!

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #536 violentv, Aug 20, 2012
    huh?! Is it really 20 hours long? Only just received the 4th energy source thingamajig about 2 hours + in I think and already starting to feel a little fatigued (mostly because of the controls I think). It is also a little tiring to chop down grass/stalks, crawl into the cave and open chests repeatedly. It would be nice to see the chests being hidden in more unique places. The game is fun and all, but I guess I will have to pace myself.

17. miecz

miecz New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    This game looks really cool.

18. 40teeth

40teeth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Its just my estimate based on earlier posts; I haven't bought it yet.
    But if people already completed it, I doubt its that long.

19. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You know that there are cores floating in the air in each level right? There are even cores that respawn in each base location. For example, in Westernesse it is located above the forging tent. Just jump between the main menu and the game, and you can pick up as many as you like.

[​IMG]

20. iosgamer4s

iosgamer4s Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    #540 iosgamer4s, Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you very much for the tip. I will load up before starting a new level.

I am currently suffering on lack of looking before leaping. The game is very addictive.