Best iOS MOBA for a complete newbie?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mid83, Feb 18, 2016.

1. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    I've never really played a MOBA other than dipping my toes in LoL and DOTA2 and being completely overwhelmed. The huge learning curve and toxic communities kept me away.

I've thought about dipping my toes into an iOS MOBA after seeing all the hype for Call of Champions and Vainglory. Are there any recommendations for a good MOBA that isn't completely inaccessible for a new player? If you do have a recommendation, why do you think that game is a good option for a new player?

Thanks!

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Vainglory for sure. I had never played a moba before I started playing Vainglory about 2-3 months ago. As long as you watch the videos within the game and aren't afraid to do a little research outside of the game you should have tons of fun.

3. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Anybody else want to give any advice or suggestions?

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    #4 Fangbone, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    You could try Call of Champions. After I got used to Vainglory and tried Call of Champions I did not care for it at all. In Call of Champions there is no leveling up while in-game. There is no item buying. It just feels really boring to me. Guess one of the things people like about CoC is that it has relatively fast queue times (probably like 30 secs) compared to Vainglory which has about a 1 min queue time. Also the matches in CoC are limited to 5 minutes. So they are over very quickly. Matches in Vainglory typically last anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Basically Vainglory is a full blown moba for your tablet/smart phone, while CoC is a mobile moba meant for short bursts. They are both free so try them both and go with the one that fits you.

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Vainglory was my first MOBA ever, and despite the deep complexity, I was matched with teammates and opponents who were equally clueless, allowing me to learn at my own pace while still winning a lot of games :)

Videos (in-game and YouTube) and forums (here and the official site) are good sources of tips and answers.

6. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #6 speetz, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Sorry to piggie back, but is there a iOS Moba that is quality that I can play on a 4s? I asked elsewhere and never really got an answer. I would love to play vainglory but can't for stated reason, and HofO&C seemed mediocre.

EDIT: I ended up making a thread thinking I could just delete this post and then realized I couldn't. Please accept my apologies :(

7. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    I am also a complete newbie when it comes to MOBAs. I played Vainglory and it's good, definitely check it out.

However, I have to give my endorsement for Ace of Arenas. It has an offline mode that saves your unlocks and a multitude of vs bots options to test characters until you're comfortable with their skills and playstyle. It's also very generous with giving you currency with daily logins. In addition to bots, there's an unranked 5v5 mode that's like Mario Party mode. Healing spots, buff pickups, shared EXP, get matched with worldwide players. It's a chaotic mess but it's fun, matches don't count to your record but you still get gold for winning/losing. In the few matches I got put in it seemed like I got put against people who are even more clueless than me, so I'm guessing all the newbies go there to try the waters I guess?

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    It's a little on the edges of MOBA, but try Clash Royale if you haven't. It's more of a hybrid, but it definitely uses what I would call a MOBA foundation.

9. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm still bummed Solstice Arena went away - that was the first, and so far only, MOBA I have been brave enough to try (on any platform) and it actually worked very well! Games didn't last too long, everything was easy to figure out, etc. I guess if there's any other current MOBA for iOS similar to Solstice Arena I might be willing to try again...