what I am thinking is dedicated gaming console may do no better job than ipad 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #1 klarence, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    I have a xbox360 which does a better job in terms of deep and big games. Such as Mass Effect and COD, IOS has no game could compete with them for now.
    But it's just for now.
    Let's take a look at games like Waking Mars on IOS, it has a several hours gameplay and it's IOS exclusive now, this game is no worse than same genre for gaming consoles, do you agree? So we could tell that easily IOS not only could be good in the field of tiny games.
    And how about medium sized games like Scribblenauts or Crazy Hedgy? They're fun and addicted, does xbox or ps3 gets superior games than these? not really, touch control is just perfect for scribblenauts.
    For AAA games are still absent, IOS needs a control pad and power of ipad 3 in the future.
    Small memory storage is not a problem, i dunno why, but the tps game shadowgun only takes no more than 300 MB.
    so a 3GB game could be 9 times bigger than shadowgun, it's enough for a big game.
    and we can also expect ninetendo-style games which no needs big storage space.

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I think he's trying to argue that the iPad 3 will be a better dedicated gamer device then a 360 or Ps3.

If he is, I'm pretty much speechless. Pretzel logic like that doesn't even warrant a legitimate response.

Nothing to see here, people (except for perhaps delusionals of grandeur)
    Move it along

3. bighi

bighi Member

Jan 2, 2011
    The iPad 3 is not better than a dedicated console, but every iPad generation is a big step forward.

A few days ago I was thinking about something similar. I believe the next generation of consoles will lose to the iPad 5 or iPad 6 (whatever number it is) plus AppleTV.

The consoles will be better in some aspects, but the iPad has a special magic inside.

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    What I am thinking is that it's NOT THE IPAD 3!

5. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #5 dumaz1000, Mar 12, 2012
    [Double post Deleted]

6. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #6 dumaz1000, Mar 12, 2012
    But the software will never rise up to consistently meet the potential of the hardware. It doesnt matter how powerful the iPad becomes, there will never be a full-fledged, no-compromises Call of Duty game on the AppStore. Or Halo, or Gears of War, or God of War, or dozens of other AAA gaming franchises. Call of Duty BlackOps 2 for home consoles and the PC will have the production values and the budget of a Hollywood summer blockbuster movie. Nobody will ever spend that much money to develop a portable game. Not even on a Vita or 3DS game, much less on an iOS game.

I wish it would happen, because I love handheld gaming much more than console gaming, but I don't think it will ever compete with the epic nature of console gaming. It will always occur on a lesser scale. I'm interested to see how much gets poured in the Vita version of COD. The effort that gets put into the development of that game might tell the tale when it comes to how big portable games can get. Will there be some of the same massive set pieces. The epic nature of Uncharted got downsized for the Vita. With COD, I sorta expect the same. A more modest affair.

7. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    differences between an Xbox360 and an iPad:

* Apple has no first party game developers. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo fiercely compete in the game industry by having exclusive content on their platforms. Halo is probably the best example of an IP that drove platform success. In order for the iPad to diminish the success of other game platforms and compete as a serious contender, they would need to better (let alone equal, let alone come close to) the exclusive offerings found elsewhere.

* Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo run closed platforms. The reason a closed platform is good for developers is that content control allows for controlled marketing strategies to get big returns on big productions. As one kind of crude example; if the 360 was an open platform, Halo's sales would be partly diluted by a dozen other FPS titles launching on the same day or within a week/month of release (of mostly horrible quality) that less savvy gamers would most likely be distracted by. For a better understanding of this line of thinking adopted by the current powers that be, look into the videogame crash a few decades ago on wikipedia.

* the iOS platform's success is based on casual gamers. AAA titles can't yet reliably find a big enough audience on iOS to rival returns offered by the dedicated consoles. This is also an obvious catch 22 going forwards.

* iOS inputs are limited. Touch screen is absolutely perfect for lots of games, while for other types, cripplingly inadequate. For me this is even totally forgivable for a device that's actually my phone, always with me, really convenient, etc. I don't mind struggling with a virtual DPAD now and then. But it's not really enough for me as my one-stop dedicated gaming machine. Doesn't cut it for FPS/TPS/Many action games for me, and there's no getting around it.

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Another major limitation of iOS devices right now is memory and storage. Consoles have the luxury of much greater onboard storage, and in the case of the new iPad, games will have to be larger just to handle the greater screen resolution, etc. Unless Apple has new features to add to iCloud like live load streaming or greatly increases the storage specs of future iOS hardware, I don't see how the AAA games one usually associates with consoles will ever be beaten on iOS hardware.

That doesn't mean that some genres of games wouldn't be just as good, of course, and just as the Wii introduced a new gaming paradigm via a novel control mechanism, iOS devices could do the same - in theory. :)

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont compare console to iOS gaming, i love portable gaming so for me iOS gaming is superb, i cant take an X-Box with me on a train etc !

But i think a lot of people are very impressed/surprised at how good iOS gaming actually is, i think a lot of people expect crappy cellphone type games or non stop Angry Bird clones (sadly there are a lot of these), i show my friends some of the variety of games on my ipod/ipad and they cant believe it. iOS gaming has casual games, short games, huge epic games, huge range.

Console gaming is great but i personally get so much more enjoyment playing games on iOS, just love what it can do. But console/iOS gaming are two very different things and cant see them competing for many years yet

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I'm currently selling my XBox 360 (plus ION Premium Drums) and the Wii because I did not use them since 02-2011. They will be replaced with the HDMI connector for my iPhone, which allows me to play Real Racing 2 and the Gameprom Pinballs with the iPhone as a remote and Galaxy on Fire with the mirroring mode. And all other games with the mirroring mode. Most games which rely on a touch interface where you don't have to look on the screen will be playable fine, like all pinball games or Rolando or Super Monkeyball. And RR even offers 1080p output.

But, I'm not the typical hardcore console gamer. I'm 34, work with computers all day and simply don't have the time to play 50+ hour games at home. The medium sized iPhone games fit better, cost less and I can play them whenever I want.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly ! Lots of my friends have old computers/lots of old games on their shelves, i havent got room for that anymore, wife/baby etc so used emulators, takes up much less space

As i said with a family i havent got time to plug in some console and have a few hours on some epic RPG. Instead iOS gaming is perfect for me fitting in a few games here and there where i can. Just perfect

12. bighi

bighi Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Most of the people saying the consoles will not lose are using FPS games as examples. Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. There is much more to gaming than these generic no-brains-required shooting games.

iOS games are much more creative than X360/PS3 games. My Xbox is collecting dust in my living room, but I play on my iPhone every single day. I have a great backlog of iOS games yet to play, and no game on the Xbox appeal to me.

I had a lot more fun playing Sword & Sworcery than Modern Warfare 3. I want an iPad 3 + AppleTV just to play good games on my TV.

I will probably never buy a new game console, but I'll keep buying new iPads every couple years.

13. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it's not only due to the time. I like Mass Effect and it takes hours as long as watch a tv serials to play.
    So I'm a so-called hardcore gamer, I'd also like racing games on IOS. I don't like racing genre that much, but I'd also want take a taste of it.
    In this situation, IOS is much cheaper and convenient, I got asphalt 6 for free and shared the account with my friend, and I can take my IOS device with me and play it with my friends head to head.

14. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Nailed it.

15. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    When I mentioned Battlefield and COD, it wasn't in reference to game quality or creativity. COD is one of the biggest money makers in the entire industry, and that makes it relevant to a discussion about the present and future states of the respective gaming platforms.

Without an enormous influx of those kinds of gamers spending that kind of money, we'll be mostly left hanging by big studios on iOS.

But lets be clear about what the actual argument is about in the first place. This is a thread suggesting that a dedicated gaming console may do no better than an iPad 3. The only way to approach that kind of general statement is from a general perspective - and I listed my thoughts on that already.

For you personally, it seems like iOS is already far better than any dedicated console anyway, but I would think you're probably not the typical bulk of the gaming industry.

I also love iOS gaming. I've lost count of the number of games on iOS that have had me hooked for numbers of hours easily equalling a lot of things I've played on console.

16. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    In many ways the iPad 3 will be a better gaming platform than a console for some people. Not for me, but I can understand why some people would prefer it. Graphics, story and longevity are meaningless to some gamers, even though they are probably in the minority.

17. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    how about games like chaos rings 2?

18. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    There is no denying that the iPad 3 is a great piece of kit, no quite upto Xbox and PS3 but I would say surpasses the Wii. Most hardcore gamers will still use the traditional consoles to play their games. But for anyone who has to work / has got family commitments and has got no time to sit for hours in front of the tv to complete the game then I would say the iPad 3 is viable alternative. Plenty of good exclusives and creative games are available on the AppStore

19. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    A good topic and the fact that the question is being asked could mean peoples attitudes are changing.Also i believe touch controls are better when using touch screen devices,the brilliant Waking Mars is prove enough of that and hopefully will encourage other devs to put some serious thought to the controls of these screens.Most pc owners i know think control pads for fp shooters are terrible but console owners think pads are ok,so really it comes down to attitudes and which of us can adapt.

20. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #20 klarence, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    yup, I can't agree with all of your words.
    Some hard-core gamers can't accept mobile device be better than consoles or handheld in some fields of games.
    the IOS app is so cheap, and the device is even not mainly for gaming purpose. They can't accept the truth. The emotions they devoted into so-called traditional gaming blind their eyes.
    they claim IOS is just for five minutes and only for casual gamer. But just face the truth, I am a so-called hardcore gamer, I don't like angry birds at all.
    But there is no game on console or handheld could compete with waking mars in their genre, even not come close.
    it's funny to see cheap game did a better job, but it just happened.
    I don't think destinia or zenonia 3 & 4 are AAA games, with IAP problems they are even not good games in another view. but in this action rpg top down 2D genre, there is not much things could come close to them, no matter on xbox 360 or PC.
    and it's even not suit to touch control, but it just happened. it's the truth.