Fumbers - fun with numbers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NickFalk, Jan 2, 2010.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

#1 NickFalk, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Fumbers™ is something I've been working on for quite some time now. It's a game that lives in the village of Casualgames and should provide a fun time for anyone who can count to nine and have an index-finger.

I've really tried hard to make a game that transcends any age- or gender-barriers, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if I've succeeded or not. The game features a straightforward gaming-mechanic based on memory/reaction and some really colorful graphics. I'm actually planning to use this thread as sort of a retrospective making-of in case you would like to catch a glimpse of the creative process behind the title.

Oh, and the game will eventually sell for $ 1.99.

2. NickFalk

#2 NickFalk, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    screenshots

OK, before starting on the "how I got there" story, I figured it made sense to show a few screenshots of the final game.

[​IMG]
    1. Regular game screen - 2. Additional score between levels - 3. Bonus Level

In the next post I will share some details regarding the creation of the different backgrounds.

Edit: The Fumbers site is now up and running: www.fumbers.com.

3. NickFalk

Background

Trying something different

Normally I'm the kind of guy that adheres to the "less is more" mantra. I love clean lines, minimal excess clutter both in physical products I use and in user-interfaces. Despite all this I decided to take the visuals for Fumbers in the exact opposite direction.

Why? Well, as I really wanted to make a game that even my parents could play it should be as friendly as possible. To me home-made equals friendly and my initial idea was to make something that could almost be from a scrapbook. No, I don't particularly like scrapbooks myself as they are too cluttered for my liking, and let's face it, I'm a guy*... ;) Nevertheless, this was the direction I wanted to take the project.

I quickly decided on pastel-crayons for the backgrounds. My first mockup was based on a picture taken in Valsøyfjord, Norway. This is the place my wife grew up, the scenery is beautiful and I actually had a picture on my iPhone suitable for background work. This is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

Now, this actually worked out very well, and while I wasn't 100% sure I would use this particular background the concept seemed sound. All in all things seemed to be running very smoothly with the project.

Unfortunately it wouldn't continue that way...

* No offense to anyone, but all the scrappers I know are women.

4. Morrigan

Morrigan Member

Dec 31, 2009
    New York
    Is this a puzzle game like Sudoku?

5. NickFalk

No, it's more of a think - then react memory-game. :)

6. NickFalk

Numbers Schmumbers!

OK, so I already had a well defined style and workflow ready for creating the backgrounds, now it was on to the number-pieces. These are the heart of the game and I wanted them to have something of a "physical" appearance, like board game pieces. My first idea was to make them into this gold/metalic numbers that I felt would give a cool look. I chose the font Engravers MT as this is inspired by a physically created typeface. Then it was on to Photoshop to cook things up a bit:

[​IMG]

Now, when I had finished the initial numbers I felt they were rather nice, but when I tried to combine them with the background it felt... ...bland. I also figured that from what I could see they wouldn't work particularly well if the background was busier, and I had a few motives that might not gel well with my metal-numbers at all. So, it was back to the drawing-board.

Now, I love fonts, I can spend hours in MyFonts.com and Fonts.com to find new and exciting fonts for future use. One of the fonts that had caught my eye was a quirky little thing called Charming Charlie PB. This was a really fun font, and I figured it could be just the thing to further "friendlylize" my app. I went for a bright green color this time round and did all the "fancy" stuff through the blend-modes in Photoshop:

[​IMG]

The method, for those of you curious: Gradient Overlay + Bevel and Emboss (with both contour and texture)

I was actually rather pleased with this result and left it like this for quite some time before revisiting the number-pieces. I would eventually decide that it was simply too quirky, but that's for another post...

7. NickFalk

From Schmumbers to Fumbers

While I actually liked those green numbers a lot I did after some time start to think that they might actually be too quirky. Also, from a design point I had removed myself from the idea of physical-pieces. I figured it was time to rethink the design.

I went back to my original idea of board-game pieces and followed this through to a much more logical conclusion.

[​IMG]

I started of with an actual circle, now round playing-pieces, what a revolution! :p Those of you really paying attention might also notice that I went back to the Engravers MT font. It made perfect sense as I essentially engraved the number into the circle. I then created different textures and colors for the pieces through filtering and some brush-work in Photoshop. Finally the blending-modes took care of the rest. The finished article(s) both looked and felt right and are identical to the one in the Fumbers soon to be released.

[​IMG]

8. icekilla

icekilla New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Looks very nice...

I can't understand what is this game about, but, It looks very-very nice :)!

9. NickFalk

Thanks Icekilla nice to see someone's actually reading this thread! :) I hope to have some video-stuff up soon, should be easier to get the jest of it then.

10. SoloDrawn

SoloDrawn Member

Apr 15, 2009
    NIckFalk, why don't you make a video of Fymbers? I'm quite interested about the game, looks stylish.

11. NickFalk

Hi SoloDrawn, I'm hoping to have some Fumbers-video-stuff out next week. :)

12. NickFalk

Charlie was just too charming

In the meanwhile however, you'll have to settle for these posts...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was very pleased with how the numbers turned out I couldn't quite let Charming Charlie go. Actually I liked it so much that I decided to use it for the title(s).

As I wanted a hand-made look my first idea was to use the old trick of hand-tracing the font.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I felt that it became just too rough and decided against it. After all, there was no one breathing down my neck telling me what to do, so I decided to make a fancier version with some of the normal Photoshop tricks:

[​IMG]

Now I gave myself a good pat on the back, cause I figured it was well deserved. I had found my font, or so I thought, and the following look was the very last thing to be changed:

[​IMG]

As you can see I've even used Charming Charlie for some of the other text on the title-screen. Looking at it now it does strike me as something of an odd choice but at the time it felt right. I still think the font works fine for the headlines on purely visual terms. The main reason I changed it in the end was more of a contextual decision (the hand-crafted look).