Universal Time Surfer (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 9, 2013.

1. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Like the game a lot.

Only problem is the pet system. I want to pick my favorite pet and get to use him every game. You have to use currency every round in order to use your pet.

2. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Extremely polished, well made, etc (not to gloss over the positives--it's a very fun game).

However, to me, there's something empty about it. Punch Quest had the same quality; more like a piece of candy than a chocolate bar (which, in this case, is Tiny Wings).

I know it won't be a permanent fixture, but it's a couple hours of a rollickin fun time for a buck.

3. ffirebird

ffirebird Member

Jul 4, 2012
    I was lucky enough to get into the beta, and played for hours.

4. laszlo_kovacs

Sep 26, 2012
    Gave it a few more minutes. One thing I definitely dislike is the level design. Sections 3 (1000-1500m) & the monochrome-ish one (2000-2500m). If you're not rollin into those sections, you get bogged down for far too long into a series of jumps where you have to grind the single dip on the platform to make it to the next. It's a trudge (and not a challenge) to get momentum going again.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Maybe an IAP "Perma-pet slot" or "permanently buy pet X"?

Who wouldn't want to bring their pet along for the ride? :D

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Excellent points. I agree.

7. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    +1 !

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    As the last few posters have said, there are some spots where it is really tough to ever regain momentum if you lose it.

That being said, this game is tons of fun and definitely worth the $1. I love some of the included costumes (80s future car, Monkey King, Mikey Shorts).

Definitely not a game where IAP is essential, nor will it mess with the leaderboards.

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    My thoughts exactly. Not sure that should be an IAP though..

I feel like that's something that SHOULD be there from the get go.
    Coin doublers work for IAP

maybe a permanent : adopt your pet feature.
    - use it every round
    - give your pet a name (I want this so bad hah)

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It sure has its share of flaws, but im having a blast playing this. Looking to be GotW for me. We'll see after i play other pickups today.

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    A game with flaws!
    I'll buy that!

12. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    I'm loving this game as well (currently on 9th place on All Time boards! yaaay) but I agree: there's definitely something wrong with that black 'n white section design.

13. tanoshiiki

tanoshiiki New Member

Jul 22, 2011
    #53 tanoshiiki, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    I beta-tested this game as well (I'm friends with the devoplers, btw!) and I always had trouble with the black and white section. I gave this feedback to them, but I since I'm not a real gamer, I thought I just wasn't skilled enough. If I don't "magically" float through the section (i.e. surf a planet, jump on an enemy prior, etc), I will usually die in this area, with no recourse to come back - without the aid of a pet, of course.

That said, it's another really bright and colourful release from Kumobius with very catchy music. I find myself randomly humming the main melody at times.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is a reaaaally good runner game, but more often than not, my success in this game depends on luck rather than skill. It's still a blast to play, but may be because i was "watching" it more than i was playing it as well.

15. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

thanks for the fantastic feedback everyone! itÂ’s so encouraging after putting so much work into the game. we'll definitely be addressing common issues that people are having (like that brutal black and white zone!..lol.)

we have a lot of stuff planned for updates, but we're also very keen to listen to your feedback and adds things you want to see! be it pets, costumes, modes or any other features.

for example, earlier prototypes of the game featured 2 additional modes. zen mode which was a speed run of a set distance, and leap mode, where gaps in the ground simply got wider with distance until there was practically no floor!

16. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I give up on this. It might be a great game but it's too frustrating. I can't make it through those big gaps at ~2.500m and I'm really pissed because the game has so much potential.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Played more and more and I love it, although some sections are hard, the game overall is a blast, and controlling the ability is the key to success here.

Those two modes sounds excellent, specially the latter one. Please add it. :)

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^+1 to the 2nd mode... seems like a good timesink :)

19. laszlo_kovacs

Sep 26, 2012
    #59 laszlo_kovacs, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    I've been debating whether it would be a good pet or perk:

A brief period of slow motion when coming out of the rewind. Perhaps the slowdown could be equivalent to the amount of time spent rewinding. To balance, it could use x2 the rewind meter, or maybe it could be a last-ditch thing where you have 1-2 seconds of slow-mo if you've used up the entire bar.

Just throwin it out there.

Also, seconding that pet costs are unbalanced. There should be a flat rate for all pets since you have to work to level up to unlock them, or the lesser pets should cost less (relative to their starting price) at higher levels. A two-thumb tap or button might reduce the simplicity of the controls, but I don't think most would mind.

Or another idea: some of the pets are 'active' vs. passive, i.e. you can trigger a one-time small speed boost at a trouble point of your choice instead of beginning with it.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    :rolleyes:

And again I'm reminded why TA is a curse...