Shoot or Jump?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PogoTank, Apr 22, 2011.

1. PogoTank

PogoTank Member

When it comes to platforming games on the iOS what do you think is more important for an update:

1. More levels that explore the jumping and platforming mechanics
    2. New game modes that do more and create new ways to play with the platforming mechanics?

Why do I ask:

We have just launched our action platformer Bounce Boom it has a combination of platforming and shooting elements, personally I want more shooting in the game and we are starting to work on our infinite bounce and shoot mode. Maybe I am wrong, wanted to get some feedback to justify my next move :)

Game is here if your interested:
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bounceboom/id431528250?mt=8).

2. PogoTank

PogoTank Member

more of the same or something new

I guess as a more general question, when you update your apps do you prefer getting more of the same (e.g. more levels) or do you like to get something radically different and awesome?

3. DarwinAce

DarwinAce Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    i think it depends on the content... but i sense you want us to say that we want something radically different and awesome for an answer :D.

For my personal opinion i'd like a good set of levels for the game i love... if that includes new features, even better. Level design is no simple thing, many developers out there think that adding more levels to beat is acomplished in a few days or by designing a randomizer, but that's just wrong. Good level design its difficult and when done properly, the rewarding experience of the game itself, even if its short, goes to the top.

An example of great level design would be Banzai Bunny... a frogger game that at first hand seems like yet another neverending game, but after level 6, things start getting interesting, and past level 20 i'm taking my hat to the level designer because he managed to turn a simple "Crossing the road" game into a proper challenging quick grab platformer.

a level pack would be good if it's not just more of the same. a whole new graphic set, with new elements is ideal... Take Will's DLC for Battle Bears-1 as a great example of properly made DLC for a game, i bought it the second i ran out of game, i just needed more.