Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #261 fishlabs_games, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Thte textures are not the issue here. It is the fill rate for the pixel shaders. We tried to reduce the number of shaders but the overall look is not as good as it is with standard resolution and all shaders on. Furthermore, we have a better framerate on the new iPad compared to iPad 2 when the game does not run at native resolution. With the hardware blow up the visual quality is still better than on the iPad 2 and of course it looks way better than the standard version of GOF2. I don't see the point of giving $5 back as you still have the HD version running which is $9.99.

We went back to 1024er textures as some users complained about the file size (1 Gig when installed) and complained even more that the game does not run on iPad 1 anymore. However, we always said explicitly that GOF2 HD is only for A5-powered devices but some users simply don't read or don't care and give us 1-star-ratings *sigh*

The situation is by no means ideal and we really wished the new iPad had more punsh to run GOF2 HD will all shaders at a decent framerate at anytime and we could tick boxes on the App Store for every device we can fully support. Unfortunately that is not the case yet...

Cheers,
    Michael

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Would it help to render at an intermediate resolution then upscale? Can antialiasing be dropped a level?

The game is very pretty at hi-res, but ultimately not very playable. Playable is kind of a minimum for a game, so I'll be on low-res. An intermediate option would be nice.

3. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
  4. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    With last update infinity blade 2 is now running in retina looks much better now on new ipad and it runs great, that article i get it but i think its to early to judge what the new hardware can do its like the ps3 it took them a good 5 years to finally get games that push the hardware to its limits. The new infinity blade dungeons is gonna do just this. The new ipad has 1 gb of ram compared to the old devices which are 512 mb and the touches on 256mb.

5. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #265 Ezak, Apr 12, 2012
    I read in anandtech that IB2 for new iPad is actually running at around 1.4 normal iPad resolution.

"Infinity Blade 2, for example, renders offscreen at roughly 1.4x the resolution of the iPad 2 before scaling up to 2048 x 1536 for final display. The result is a sharper image than what you'd get on an iPad 2, without sacrificing performance."

Since you're running 1440x1080 resolution, you only calculate twice the number of pixels of 1024*768, so you theoretically keep the same performance with the quad core graphics

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#266 killercow, Apr 12, 2012
    Yeah i think that's the way to go (the consoles and even the vita are doing it). You get to that resolution, add AA and you won't see the difference (well nearly anyway) while having near 60fps. IB II's rock solid since the last update and looks really good.

7. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Would rendering the game at 1.4x the iPad 2 res solve the fill rate issue?

Ive been eyeing this game for a while and was thinking about picking it up for my ipad 3, but if it wont run smoothly I wont get it.

8. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    this is basically what i been saying you just worded it much better then i, they need to do this to compensate for how the new ipad handles the higher resolution without loosing the quality in graphics, since the textures are made at a higher resolution you scale the actual texture size down and apply it to the model but still can use full retina resolution without loosing the performance...

and infinity blade 2 upped the textures and graphics in last nights update the andandtech write up was way before this update, it looks way better then it did before the update and runs perfect.

9. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Leave the dev alone plz for apple knew that more demanding games would be tough to run at such a high resolution and they still did it. IB2 doesn't count since that game is soooooooo slowwwwwww and renders only two characters on screen at any giving time while GoF2 is consistently rendering a continuously moving environment plus ships and effects.

I saw two iPads at best buy the other day and had to carefully pay close attention in order to figure out which one was the new one and which was an iPad 2. So to me, the retina on the new iPad isn't as stricking as it was on the iPhone 4 from the 3GS.

At the end, iPad 2 comes on top more capable since the new iPad can't run most games in full def and maintain better ot equal performance.

iPad 2 wins!

10. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #270 Delusionaltool, Apr 12, 2012
    Give it time its new hardware you will eat those words once the devs figure out how to get the most from the new ipad there is no reason it wont happen the new ipad in essence is a ipad 2 running sli with 1 gb of ram which is double the 512 in the ipad 2 and iphone 4. Ib2 being slow has nothing to do with the graffix they have some of the most detailed texture work ive seen on the device and tons of shader and lighting effects. Gof 2 hd Uses a completly different engine which renders and handles much differently then ib 2 .

11. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    In IB2, the characters are rendered in a fully 3d environment - more than just a skybox which is what surrounds you in GOF2HD (it's not like all the stars and visible planets are 3d objects). also the movement speed of the 3d models doesn't impact performance..

my point is you are ignoring very important factors - IB2 very well might be showing more triangles on screen at a time compared to GOF2HD. none of us have any real idea.

12. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    GOF2 HD at 1440 x 1080 in the works

Hi Guys,

we are working on running GOF2 HD at 1440 x 1080 on the new iPad. First tests look promissing. Unfortunately, we have to create a new set of UI assets as the current set is just too small. As GOF2 comes with plenty of 2D assets for the UI in particular when docked to a station that will take some time. We hope for you understanding and please stay with us!

Cheers,
    Michael

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot! We appreciate your hard work :)

14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    #274 Fastbridge, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    I can't find a answer to this. I just bought the game in HD about a week or so ago and now I can't get passed the mission where I need to collect 50t of alien ore or something like that. I think I need to go though a orm hole to get to void territories but it's not letting me get there. I love this game but im absolutely frustrated as I tried evyything I and visited every place possible. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    ^^^^^^^^please help^^^^^^^

16. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Hi Fastbridge
    There is a bug in the current version of the game
    as soon as you go through a wormhole it takes you back to where you started.
    I hear an update has been submitted with this bug fixed but just waiting on apple's approval ;)

17. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Me too. I'm eager to see how it will render !!! :rolleyes:

18. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    Damnnn:( was so getting into this. I'm going on vacation next week so hopefully this updates for me by then.

19. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Update 1.07 is live now!

20. lenogden1

lenogden1 Active Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Say I'm running GOF 2 non hd version on iPad 3 and am crashing at the same sot over and I've again.

It's where I'm supposed to launch a probe at he mothers hip. I'm at Gome C and take the protect the convoy mission.. After I fly out and engage the pirates the game crashes and kicks me out completely..