Underplayed games & hidden gems

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darth Ronfar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I have a few hidden gems:

- Wheeler's Treasure: Great platformer with fresh gameplay. And it's free!

- Zaga-33: Great rogue game which quick games are perfect to play with your iPhone.

- Aliens versus Humans: Amazing XCOM game, with better gameplay in some areas than the new version of Firaxis.

- LostStar Tactics: Great turn-based strategy game. It is well known in these forums, but it deserves more attention.

- Tichu: One of the greatest card games ever with a solid implementation. Simple rules hard to master. There are almost no people playing it online, so go buy it and lets play 2 vs 2!

- Chip Chain: Match 3 strategy game with Triple Town style. It is a new game but it's not getting attention. It's free but it abuse a little of IAPs.

Well, that was a few of them. :p

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Yeah... Zaga-33 is awesome, but it felt more like a survival game more than it is an RPG, which isnt a bad thing.

Shove Pro is another recent release that didnt get much attention. The game is so much fun to play. It's a runner game where your character runs facing you, and you shove people into your pursuers or other elements in the game to wrack up scores and multipliers. Im a little sad that it wasnt recognized much in the TA boards with it's potential and the fun it offers.

3. Cat Scam

Cat Scam Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Two that I could think of.

Bridge Constructor - you try to build durable bridges and than drive trucks and cars over them to see if they hold up.

BallAHolic - this game an awesome 3D platformer where you guide a worm like creature by moving the world around. It has multiple and great controls.

4. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I forgot to mention earlier - Biolab Disaster. Really easy and short, but so fun. It's a sci-fi action platformer. Like I said, short and easy - but I personally had a lot of fun going through it. Much like the action and platforming (sans loot system) of Random Heroes, it is a charming throw back and retro love-letter to the games of the 8 and 16 bit era.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot

Awesome production values and currently on sale

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    THANKYOU ! Thats my type of game ! Just downloaded it, dont know how i missed it previously. Cant believe its free, loving this already, 16 bit style graphics, nice controls, shame you mention its quite short but looking forward to playing this later. Like you say its like Random Heroes, a throwback to the old platforming days

Thanks though, this is my type of game (Its 'slightly' like ClashForce)

7. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Glad you like it! That's what this thread is for, no? :D

8. I'd like to thank you as well, it's a cool little game.

9. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Yes...it is, thanks for the find, and thanks to everyone that has made this thread a great succes for finding some qaulity games hidden in the store.

Anyone else have any of those secret games that they have found please share it with us here :)

10. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    theres so many great hidden gems not alot of people have played...

SilverFish / Silverfish Max (ipad) - Its a beautiful pac-man / geometry wars hybrid dont know how else to describe it...even the dev said it didnt make alot of money. its a shame cause the game is brilliant.

Project 83113 - is a brilliant mega man like title i dont hear much about one the top platformers on the ios imo.

Zombies - is a fantastic little gem that uses the graphic styles of SuperBrothers but they make a zombie twinstick out of it and has one of the best sound tracks ive heard in a while.

Sigma - one of the best match 3 titles on the ios it just didnt sell well so they never updated it, yet i still play it!!! You have wheels on each side with colored blocks and you can rotate each one to make a match you tap the block to swap it from one side to the other its harder then it sounds but a amazing game none the less with a high level of polish.

Gene Effect - there is Waking mars then there is this hidden gem Gene Effect its like Waking mars only way better imo, its got a excellent story that unfolds as you play it and is one of the most immersive games ive played with head phones on it needs to be played in the dark for the true effect. This game needs to experienced period if you like flying in a ship in sci-fi caves finding stuff and exploring then dl now.

Spell Rift - If you have a i device then you need to know the KiefferBros they make the most polished word games on the ios period and this new one kinda slipped out of no where its a successor to their brilliant Lexic/ABCA (it got renamed) game before it, if you like words games then give it a try they have added alot in this new title from them.

Aqueduct - KiefferBros again this time with a beautiful sliding puzzle game that gets TOUGH as you get through it, they did update to retina also dont miss this one.

Polara - i really hope people play this game, im sick of runners like everyone else but this game is a runner combined with Ikaruga (Ikaruga was a side scroller bullethell where you could absorb bullets depending on the color of your ship) it goes for the same here you can switch from red and blue and absorb the colors, if its your opposite you die , there are also ramps and things that can only be landed on if you are that certain color...

Food chain - LOL so random i know but if you ever liked Tetris Attack this as close to Tetris attack your gonna get its exact cept its food rather then shapes.

God of Blades - I dont know how popular it is, but its GOTY for me its that good they just added a online Revanant mode where it allows players with high scores to challenge you if hit that score you will encounter the players avatar and you try to defeat them, its a runner/rpg that uses art inspiration from old 1970s pulp fantasy novels, there is a great story and even makes you go to the library to use the in games Loremaster which allows you to check in with foursquare and it sees your at the library to unlock swords you could not unlock normally as you level up...the entire game is so unique and awesome words just dont do it justice.

this is only a taste!

11. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    The Quest - it was mentioned before but I have to second it. This classic 1st person RPG is huge. How huge? The base game has over 50 hours of content and there are currently 14 high quality expansions with 20+ hours of gameplay each. You do the math.

Necromancers Rising - A lengthy 1st person 3D macabre dungeon crawler. It was an excellent game for it time and is still great fun but was suppased in nearly everyway by is successor.....

Mission Europa - Bigger and better than Necromancer Rising, Europa has a slightly different sci-fi horror theme. Europa's storyline is improved over Necromancer and it also has online Multiplayer. Unfortunately however since its not a mainstream game you'll be hard pressed to find anyone online.

12. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Flower Board - you have to group six or more balls together to dismiss them. Every round new balls are random added and you have to try, to survive as long as possible. Really relaxing game with really (really!!!!) relaxing shopping-mall/elevator music. :D

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    One of my hidden gems is PDA Games.

A LOT of great retro style platforming fun, apparently these were a mini game from 'Alien Hominid'

The apps dirt cheap, huge variety of levels, a lot of fun, love it

14. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Great Thread! Here are some of my picks that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

A Little Turbulence - Retro Endless Top Down Cloud Flyer
    Be2 - Escape From Pingland - Dungeon Crawling Pong Adventure
    Doptrix - A Unique Tetris-inspired Puzzler
    Four Winds Fantasy - All of this dev's games are a trip. RPG
    Glitch Tank - Retro Strategy Boardgame
    Globulous - Tetrisphere for iPhone
    Horror Vaccui 2 - Retro Abstract Strategy Boardgame from the creator of The Last Rocket
    Impossible Pixel - Retro Meatboy-esque Platformer
    Infinite - Minimalist Planetary Obstacle Avoidance
    Infinity Run 3D - An unoriginal but well-executed behind-the-back runner
    Kale in Dinoland - Perhaps the most authentic and creative retro platformer on iOS
    Magnetic Shaving Derby - Bizarre but entertaining retro-styled game from the creators of Forget.Me.Not
    Mini Dash A poorly advertised but solid Meatboy-esque offering from Chillingo
    Neutron - Three Dimensional Vector interpretation of the Tron Lightbikes
    Nom Nation - The single greatest advertisement I have ever seen
    Patientia - Another unique Tetris-inspired Puzzler
    Polyroll - Brilliant Sonic-inspired Retro Platformer from the creator of Clash Force
    Pygmies Hoglet EX - Excellent Tamagotchi-inspired RPG - now in color!
    Railbot - A new but still little-known endless slider
    Raptured - Tongue-in-cheek but nicely executed celebration of the end of the world by the creator of Danmaku Unlimited
    Rogue Miner - Mining-themed Roguelike
    Rogue Ninja - Ninja-themed Roguelike
    Run, Jump, Kill! - Dark stylized Hack & Slash
    Splishi Splashi - Colorful Retro interpretation of Mighty Fin
    Squarescape - Minimalist Room Escape Puzzler
    Super Durak - Beautifully Designed Card Game
    Tactical Warrior Minimally Designed but sophisticated Strategy Game
    The CATch! Behind-the-back Cat Runner

15. AppealPlay

AppealPlay Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    USA
    +1 for TLCTC!

It's such a great game. It's also really difficult which makes it fun. :)

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I'd like to add all the games made by Cipher Prime (Auditorium, Fractal, Splice and pulse)

Also Bar Oasis (1, 1.5 and 2) which are really well written and interesting despite not really being a game.

Skyriders: A very polished platformer (In space!) that is very underrated.

Beat Sneak Bandit: One of the best rhythm game ever made

Nihilumbra: A portal-esque puzzle platformer with a good story

Get Out of My Galaxy: A polished and fun multitouch experience from outer space with levels that can be compared to some planets of Super Mario Galaxy (albeit not with the same scope or design)

Vincere Totus Astrum and Orion: Two really excellent 4x game.

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Thanks for the additions..

18. Okay, just had to jump in, my favorite is

INFINITY PROJECT 2. This is an open world post apoctoliptic shooter, with side quest and an inventory system, perks are given through suits, this sifi fps epic feels like halo and fallout had a baby!!!

Mission Europa ce, this system shock rpg dungeon crawler is amaizing, wih thousands of wepon types and armors this 60+ hour game is awesome...

Underworlds, if you like diablo this is such a clone you will forget your not playing diablo, even more diablo like than dungeon hunter

The quest, as a big old school rpg player I was sucked in to arena and daggerfall, this is there turned based cousin.

Xenome, his fallout like game was fun and felt ridiculously massive, and at 99 cents you can't beet it.

There are tons more, but I'll just post five for now.

19. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Would Polara qualify as "underplayed"? It is generally popular in the forum, but not outside!

20. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK