TouchArcade app iPhone 6/plus support

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ioscody, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ioscody

ioscody Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    when will the Touch arcade app be updated to support the native resolution of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?

2. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Seconded. This app has been yearning for an update for a long, long time.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Starting to look like it's not going to happen. It's going to be very, very expensive and it's questionable whether or not it would even get approved again with how much Apple has cracked down on similar apps. Investing the money to totally redo it to be iPhone 6/6 Plus and iOS 8 optimized and have it get rejected would be catastrophic to TouchArcade. It's functional now, it just doesn't look as good as it could.

4. ioscody

Jan 9, 2014
    I understand... (Sad face)

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Have you ever considered using web apps? That's what iClarified did to get around Apple's security and it works rather well.

Your sister site Appshopper has even more to gain from doing this.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

In a perfect world both TA and AppShopper would have things that are like bare bones apps which essentially just push notifications that then throw you into a super slick web view that almost feels like an app. It just comes down to resources to do it and the risk vs reward of investing those resources into a huge new project that might not get any more traction than existing services.

7. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    :(

Curious, what problem does Apple now have with the TouchArcade app versus acceptance when it was initially launched? What are they cracking down on? The fact that you give apps ratings?

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's sort of the same problem as AppGratis and other sorta similar but sorta not apps have had in the past- http://allthingsd.com/20130410/apples-ouster-of-appgratis-is-just-the-start-of-an-app-store-crackdown/

Basically Apple wants to be in charge of app recommendation. While our app does a lot of things, it also does that. We've had approval drama in the past, and while they've told me we're "in good standing" now, you never know when that might change with a new developer agreement or whatever else. The slight chance of that happening makes devoting very significant financial resources a risky gamble when TouchArcade never has been and likely will be never featured on the App Store because of all this drama.

9. Varyl

Varyl Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Figured I'd list this for those who jailbreak. Biggest kicker for me on this app not being updated since iOS6 is lacking the swipe from left to go back feature.

SwipeNav adds this for all iOS6- apps that use UINavigation, which the TA app does.

ForceGoodFit makes any old app load with the new resolutions, many apps will load perfectly fine, as long as dimensions or positions weren't pixel counted, unfortunately for TA app the right hand suggested apps were in this category, so they end up behind the main content and are unusable, but this minor downside was well worth it for me to not have blurry blown up graphics for one of my most used apps.

Sorry if that's a bit long-winded, but if it helps even a single other person, here it will have been worth it.

I too would chime in with my desire for an update, as it was once one of the most slick looking/feature-wise apps on my phone way back when it was released, but I also can definitely understand the above reasoning. Here's hoping something happens that changes this situation and makes it feasible though, because I do think it puts the site in a bad light to have such an out-dated app in its name.

10. ioscody

Jan 9, 2014
    Start a petition lmao JK.

11. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    This is a good summary of my thoughts as well.

Eli, I wish you could do a Kickstarter or something! Or some kind of Premium membership -- something tangible for your members that would also support your ongoing costs.

12. drewby83

drewby83 New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    ^ This.

13. botomatic

botomatic Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Agree! ^

14. emilyheming

emilyheming Member

Oct 6, 2014
    TouchArcade app iPhone 6/plus support

Hey! I am also a user of iPhone 6/Plus and I am much fond of its features and design. I am much waiting for its update of TouchArcade app. Please do let me know when the update in to release.

15. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    TBH I know it will never happen but I'm still waiting for the universal update for appshopper social. It's annoying to turn my iPad to portrait.:eek:

In an ideal world, Apple would let us to track apps from the app store and give us notifications about the discounts but nope.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    In an ideal world people would buy apps on release so devs make money from their 99c or 2 dollar app and then we get more and more games

The more discounts people find/follow the less profits devs make.

17. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yeah. I hate having to turn my iPad portrait for anything. I wish there was an option for portrait iPhone apps running on iPads to run in landscape with big black bars either side.

18. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Does this mean the TA app will eventually be incompatible with the iOS? I always imagine what it would look like with the modern features and stuff, and I wouldn't care whether or now is web app or whatever, just as long as it exists!

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

I for one kind of like it LOL its good for my aging eyes honestly. :cool:

20. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, considering how old the app is I'm quite surprised that it hasn't been broken yet though starting iOS 8 I'm having a lot of crashes that can get annoying. It doesn't use any complex API dependent on previous iOS which could explain the "stability" though I'm quite confident that an upcoming update to iOS will permanently cause the app to not work properly (with the number of crashes I'm getting in iOS 8, iOS 9+ is highly looking to be the one to break the app). Actually I'm curious what would happen if this is the case whether or not the site will address the issue. Eli mentioned that it would be "detrimental" if Apple rejected the app but the app not working in the first place would make Apple rejecting the app null.