Any of you guys readers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You seem to have quite a wide variety of things that interest you. I'll throw a few into the mix you may be interested in - Cormac McCarthy - the road, and blood meridian will suck you in - read each one in one sitting - couldn't put them down. Hopefully you've read JD Salinger Catcher in the rye? It used to be required reading, and probably still should. Profiles in Courage - JF Kennedy, The Defense Never Rests - F Lee Bailey, The Good Earth, and The Exile - Pearl Buck, Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson, Tad Williams -Otherland series, Blindness - Jose Saramago, Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy, William Gibson -Burning Chrome and Neuromancer, In Cold Blood - Truman Capote.
    I used to have time to read like you - went through 3-5 books/ week. Family, work, going back to school, makes it difficult.
    For young at heart - The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman, and His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for the recommendations - Catcher in the Rye is not something I've read yet but I have it and was planning on doing so. You've got a big list there, definitely going to take a look at some of those.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Since you like the Dan Bown style - you may be interested in Ken Follett - he is famous for Eye of the Needle, but his Pillars of Earth is a great book - although it it is a lot about how cathedrals were constructed (of all things). Michael Crichton may also be of interest, although the only one I really liked of his was Andromeda Strain. A lot of people poo-poo Ayn Rand - and Atlus Shrugged has about 200 pages of a speech that I skipped (she has a habit of feeling the need to pound the ideas into your brain) - The Fountainhead though is much quicker, and gives a good idea of her philosophies.
    A great series of history books are the ones by Will and Ariel Durant - The History of Civilization - huge volumes - but exceedingly well written.
    Diary of Anne Frank I am assuming you've read. not so much Holocaust, but some interesting books are by Chaim Potok - The Chosen, and My Name is Asher Lev. Also, The Haj, by Leon Uris I enjoyed quite a lot. I love reading, and your first list has inspired me to check some of those out.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I like reading book series. Read all books from Narnia, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games and believe it or not -- Twilight. Didn't enjoy the latter one at all though :p I just had to finish it since I started lol.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Any book alleged to be written Dan Brown style I'm going of have to check out.

The Chosen is an excellent book. I want to read through Potok's other ones, but I have no clue where I'll get the time :rolleyes: Diary of Anne Frank I've already read; I'm going to go though Eli Wiesel's Night once I find the time.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The style is not so much the same, but Follett's writing grabs me in the same way as Brown's. I hope you enjoy him.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, I love to read. My kids think I'm crazy since they don't read anything unless they're going to have a test on it... =oP

Anywho, I love cyberpunk literature. Pretty much anything from William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Warren Ellis, ect... but right now I'm knee deep in 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest' (#3 in the 'Millennium Series') by Stieg Larsson. Pretty hardcore read, though I still prefer ... With The Dragon Tattoo. Getting to know Lisbeth and Blomkvist through the first book was just... fabulously written.

I'm also a pretty big manga/graphic novel fan. =oP

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Oh yea, I agree. I absolutely loved the Millennium series. I might actually read it again soon :p But as of right now, I haven't read anything in awhile since I've been busy with school and, well, gaming lol. Anyways, I'm in the middle of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series (the books that the HBO show 'Game of Thrones' is based on) and I'm really enjoying them. I've read the first three so far, and I read the prologue of the 4th. That's where I stopped. I'm hoping to start back up soon once my finals are over

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    You know, I've never read any Stephen King books, although I'd like to. What's a good one to start off with?

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    The only one I was able to finish was Cujo. I tried a few others (The Stand, Carrie, The Shining), but I just couldn't get into them.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    His early books - the stand, the shining, Christine, Carrie, Firestarter, Cujo, Pet Semetary are what made him famous. A number of those were made into movies. I enjoyed The Stand, Firestarter, The Shining - but Steven King novels all seem to blend together after awhile. I stopped reading him, because somehow even though the story was different - it felt like I'd already read the book (if that makes sense). I don't know about his later books, but his early books spend time on character development, exposition, world development - they are not like those great spy novels that just keep you on a roller coaster ride. If you not seen the movie I would recommend The Shining - it is well written, and only a couple hundred pages. I think The Stand is better, but it's like 500 pages or something, and might be off-putting if you don't like long novels.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The first King book I ever read was It. Dedicated my summer between 6th n 7th grades reading (and looking up words so I could understand) it. After that, I was hooked. But if you're more into fantasy type books, The Dark Tower series is PHENOMINAL!

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I've been meaning to start Stephen King.

*puts that on his long list of "will read soon" books*

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Cool, thanks for all the suggestions guys, looks like I gotta hit up my local library soon!

15. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    The Talisman!!!!! My fave SK book, it's amazing!

He'll I've read hundreds of books and in many genres, my favorites are fantasy books though.

Where's the Love for Terry Brooks?????????????

The Game of Thrones books were good but not amazing.. The Wheel of Time series is en pointe along with the Shannara series which I hold in high regard. I could recommend plenty of books but everyone has different preferences.

Any1 who loves Harry Potter should check out Rick Riordan's books, the Septimus Heap series and The Nicolas Flamel series by Michael Scott.

The Chronicles of Narnia and The Golden Compass are among my favorites.

I love classics, and I love hidden gems too.

Feel free to pm me with any q's

Currently reading RUSH's Clockwork Angels

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm pretty happy to have seen Gatsby and the Catcher in the Rye come up in this thread.

I won't offer much of a list. In the opening post you mentioned 1984. I'd have to suggest that anyone who has read / enjoyed it should probably read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. A Seemingly forgotten classic.

17. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If you haven't read the classics they're well worth it, not only for nostalgia but to provide a background for modern book styles and where many of their writing styles/elements come from. Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Call of the Wild, Idylls of the King, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Shane, Ivanhoe (I found it to be quite cumbersome and somewhat uninteresting, but in hindsight it was worth slogging through) and a great many more that I've forgotten should be required reading.

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Gawd - Ivanhoe - I'm tipping my hat to you. I had a terrible time with a Tale of Two Cities, but Oliver Twist and Great Expectations were simple. Ever try War and Peace? Started multiple times - got to around page 200 or so - couldn't do that one either. Loved Crime and Punishment though, and that's a tome. Also Rise and Fall of the Third Riech - William Shirer - that book I read many, many years ago, and it is still one of the best novels I remember reading.

So many books I've forgotten about, but Clockwork Orange - loved the language, Gorky Park I loved as a detective novel, and a great Sci Fi writer that the world seems to passed on - Roger Zelazny - his Amber Series is what he is remembered for, but I loved his short stores more, and a number of his stand alone novels.

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Haven't read those - just looked at the description. You might enjoy Magician, silverthorn, and a darkness at sethanon by Raymond Feist. After his 5th or 6th novel I quit reading them, but his first 3 novels I thought were fresh, with great characters.