"Air Supply - Infinite" - Sam is back! :D

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Sep 2, 2013.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Hello all, long time no see!

I've been beavering away at another Air Supply game!

Hurrah!

Sam is back, this time running round whole planets, trying to get to 'The Void' where he can pick up an Infinity Cup!

Here's a work in progress screenshot:

[​IMG]

Gameplay is simple. The basics are:

Jump over aliens.
    Tap anywhere to jump.
    Double tap to activate a Smart Bomb (I think, therefore I am).
    Don't forget your AIR IS RUNNING OUT!

There are unlocks a-go-go, and an awesome soundtrack by that genius Yerzmyey, who writes his music on retro computers (the tracks were written on a ZX Spectrum/ZX81 with an AY chip).

No trailer as yet, but I thought I'd post a 'Music Teaser' video that should whet your aural appetites:

I'm hoping this one will be a universal build, with GameCenter leaderboards and achievements :D

Thanks for tuning in! I'll try and keep you updated on what's happening.

QS :D

2. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I checked the first air supply, it's a runner game. But, based on your screenshot, this time doesn't looks like as side scrolling runner game, is this like "jump and jump" from one planet to other planet or like endless runner around one planet only?

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey Copaeci,

Infinite is a runner around one planet only.

Sounds dull, eh? ;)

Well, I've been doing all I can to make it more exciting! It's been a real challenge to put some, well, *challenge* into the game and make it as fun as possible.

The game started out as a demo someone gave away. It had a square, moving around the outside of a circle. You had to jump over a triangle. When you hit the triangle, it was game over.

Now that's simple, right? Too simple. And yet I found the central game mechanic, of jumping over an obstacle while moving around in a circle, to be bloody addictive!

But I'm a gamer, just like you. Have been since the original Space Invaders appeared in the arcades.

I *love* games.

So though the mechanic and demo were addictive, I knew it would need more.

As a consequence, I've added things from the original Air Supply to this game. The pickups, for example. The colour changes. Planet changes. Music changes.

It's all in here.

Then as a gamer I realised I wanted still more from the next Air Supply game. It's what *I* would want as a gamer.

So I added smartbombs. These add another level of strategic play, even in a one button endless runner!

There's a sense of progress too which the original Air Supply didn't have. There is a goal to reach, an end to the infinite runner...

There are other elements as well which I've added/plan to add. And I've tried to tune the game to be as fun and fair as possible.

In short, I've done my very best to add layers of gameplay onto the basic concept! To make it clever, fun, addictive.

On the original Air Supply I had no idea if people would like it or not. Seriously. Working on a game you get used to it and start taking certain things for granted.

The music for my games, for example, I've been listening to for literally years before putting them into what I make.

I've heard the tracks thousands of times, so much so that for me they become 'background' elements, and you start to believe that everyone else will feel the same.

Then someone hears a track for the first time in their lives, and the same joy I had when I first heard it hits them. And it's new to them.

So all that worry that 'this bit is getting boring' is because of familiarity. To new ears though, it's (usually!) awesome!

And then the *extra* uncertainty creeps in. What if it just IS boring or overfamiliar?

You can never really tell!

As a consequence I have no idea if people will like this game, or if it will appeal to them or not.

I just know that I'm playing it as much, if not more, than I played the original Air Supply. Each build I make is played for hours, if not days, to make sure it works, is fun, and is tuned just right.

Sorry to have rambled a bit there. I know it's going to be an uphill struggle to convince people to try this game, so I want to try and give as honest and thorough a response as possible!

I'm looking forward to finishing the game, hopefully before the end of the month, so I can show you guys a gameplay video. The screenshots don't really do it justice!

Cheers!

4. NexusSteve

NexusSteve Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Game Developer
    Canada
    If it's a game from Quantum Sheep, expect quality and a killer ZX soundtrack. :cool:

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    It's beautiful. I'll take five copies. Thanks. :)

6. Gamesmold

Gamesmold Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Wow, I nearly missed out on this!!!
    Looks great and I just love the music.
    Good luck with this, QS!

Cheers
    Thomas

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Me likey. Got a release date yet QS?

8. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you Mr. Psience!

I'm working on it every day! It's tentatively due at the end of the month with any luck.

It might go over, but I hope to be pretty much feature complete in about 10 days, then it'll go to my crack team of testers!

I'm at that stage where the base game is done and works great, it's just adding new stuff to it that will improve it, but break it at the same time ;)

Cheers,

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    A quick update

Hey all,

Just a quick update and a quick screenshot!

[​IMG]

This is a guest appearance (again!) by The Gravonaut, a Nexus Games Studio character that they've kindly let appear in my games!

He's caught in a UFO tractor beam, which holds him in place for a few seconds.

Luckily, he has three smartbombs in reserve, and air + full air pickups are on their way down!

Still a few things to do but I'm hoping to have a test version out to people by the weekend!

Thanks for looking!

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Another music tease... :D

Heyas, hope all's well! :)

Unfortunately I've overshot the release date, and I'm now hoping to get this game to you guys in October.

October 2013. Honest!

One interesting thing coming back from the testers was that the sense of progression wasn't obvious.

Previously, the background changed the further you ran without getting hit by an alien.

This wasn't enough though, so I've put in a cool little 'progress bar' on the side, to hopefully make things clearer!

Thanks for your interest/patience, and here's another little music tease to for you all!

Cheers!

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Yet another update

Another quick update!

Things are progressing nicely. I've had some great feedback from testers which has resulted in some changes that benefit the game.

These include things like making the game a Universal Build, help text, less of a decrease in speed after being caught, slower air decrease and new control methods!

I usually react to suggestions/criticism like this:

1. Get feedback.

2. Think of a million reasons why it’s wrong/not relevant/silly.

3. Stay up all night thinking about it and cursing the tester.

4. Wake up the next day and realise they’re absolutely right!

5. Make the suggested changes.

6. Rejoice! (possibly).

I really can't stress how important it is to get other people to play your games before releasing them into the wild! Thanks to all the lovely testers for playing my game!

I've also been reminded quite harshly of the old rule of game development:

"If you think you'll be finished within a month, add another TWO months to that date for accuracy"

And here's another screenshot of the latest version taken on an iPhone 5s. A new version will be going out to testers tomorrow with any luck!

[​IMG]

Cheers,

QS =D

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Video!

Hey all, good morning!

So the game's done. It's been reviewed and is 'ready for release' so will be available tomorrow.

I feel sorry for Sony launching a new console on the same date. The guilt on my end is palpable! ;)

Anyway, here's a video for those interested, featuring gameplay and more of that lovely, lovely music!

Will make a new thread in the right section once the game's been released! :D

Time for bed!

QS =D