Launch Images Question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by onion, Feb 10, 2010.

1. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    I have been looking over icon size requirements and came across the info for Launch Images, but was wondering do game developers use them ? I ask, because I went to see a few iphone game reviews on youtube ( where you can see the app launched from the icon on screen ), and of the games I checked out, none seemed to use a Launch Image.

If people 'are' utilising them, in what capacity would they work for you, on the site it mentions, no splash / logo screens, etc, so wondering best way to utilise them for a game, or even if they are used at all by game devs.

On a side note, I would probably launch a company logo anim of some sort at the beginning, in this scenario, just a white screen with the word 'loading' would suffice... ? What do you think ?

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I know some big games have this. Minigore, Doodle Army, Pocket God, the 'info' screen on GTA:CW...

3. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Hi, The prez 12521

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Off to do some quick youtube research.... :)

4. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    no problem, i read your thread yesturday, and it helped me a lot :D

5. Are you talking about the Default.png file? I think most games use that.

if you want to do animation though, you have to program that specifically and then load your other resources while the animation plays.

6. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    You could load a REALLY light dummy scene that loads almost instantly, and run your own loading image/animation while you load menus, levels, whatever. That way your launch image can be a solid color and compress down to nothing so it's almost free (if that's what you are asking about).

7. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Is it even possible not to have a default.png ?

While Apple's guidelines states that you should have an image matching the interface the user meets (in order to shorten perceived loading time). While I agree this is makes a lot of sense there are some caveats. For instance, I believe the default.png only works in one orientation.

It seems to me like most games don't care for this approach though and normally have some kind of game-centric splash screen. Personally I've been using my company logo and Apple have never complained about this. (They have complained about a lot of other stuff I've been doing though, so it's not like I'm below their radar or anything). ;)