Quake Builder - Full game free for the first ever time, for 48 hours on app store

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by draper3000, Jan 19, 2011.

1. draper3000

draper3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Video Editor and part time app designer...
    Staines, UK,
    Quake Builder the complete game is free for 48 hours on the app store. As of...NOW!!!

Build towers, survive earthquakes, and unlock attacks from some pissed off birds.

Link to the app store to download the full game:

LINK TO APP STORE

Link to the app store to download the full game:

LINK TO APP STORE

I'm the guy who made the game, we still average between 400 and 1000 downloads of the lite version every day but I thought I'd see out of interest what the sales would be like if the full game was free.

It goes back to 99 cents / 59p in 48 hours. So why not download it now...(please)

What else are we working on?:

We are currently half way through production of our second full title:
    'Dark Asylum - The 7 Lost Souls'.

Which is a point and click horror adventure. Hoping to release it in around 4 months time. Aiming for the scariest game of the year title.

2. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    Ooops ... my bad...

can someone please move this into the 'Freebies - price reductions' section..

Thankyou.

3. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    Can someone with the powers of Admin, please move to 'Freebies and Price Reductons' section please.

4. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just curious: why did you go with a bird design that looks like it came from Angry Birds?

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Member

Jan 19, 2011
    It's pretty simple - he preys on and lives off Angry Birds success.
    The same for the Dark Asylum - he saw the success of The Secret of Grisly Manor (originally also made with GameSalad), and now he counts on easy money from his upcoming adventure game.
    That's not cool mate!

6. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    #6 draper3000, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    I made quake builder without birds, ok game not very amazing. So decided to add an unlockable. And yep was a bit cheap and designed some birds a bit too similar perhaps to angry birds. One day I may change them to something else.

As for the dark asylum comment. Thats not entirely fair. I played grisly manor liked it alot it's a great game. I ten played about 10 other point and click adventures. A lot of which borrow ideas from one another. My game is so different to grisly manor in the user interface, story, style, and probably won't be as good in the end. But I do enjoy working on the game and hopefully I'll make an ok one by the time its finished and up on the app store.

Oh an as for it being easy money it's not. Quake builder took 4 months of every bit of spare time I had and has slowly made me a couple of hundred quid. Dark asylum
    Looks set to eventually take more like 8 months and may still make bugger all. Such is the way of the app store.

7. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I'm going to be honest with you--this is a terrible game.

8. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,

Wow! Thats really helpful. Thanks for sharing. How far did you get with the game? Did you manage all 20 levels?

9. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    thanks to anyone that may have downloaded it,

In one day of being in the free app charts its moved to the following position on the American free charts.

Best Chart Rankings*
    #18 in Puzzle Games (iPhone) on Jan 20, 2011
    #47 in Action Games (iPhone) on Jan 20, 2011
    #87 in Top Games (iPhone) on Jan 20, 2011
    #180 in Top Apps (iPhone) on Jan 20, 2011

Today's Chart Rankings*
    #18 in Puzzle Games (iPhone)
    #47 in Action Games (iPhone)
    #87 in Top Games (iPhone)
    #180 in Top Apps (iPhone)

Cheers... one more day then its back to paid...though I am tempted to leave it free for longer...to see how it fairs...

10. anada

anada Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I have a quick question, probably a dumb one. If you have a paid game and make it free for a few days, it'll start at the bottom of the free list, like rock bottom? Then once it goes back to being a paid game again does it re-enter the paid games list where it was before it went free or what? Like how do they work that stuff out? Haha pretty silly question, just always been curious.

11. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    Hmm..not sure...

If I make the game paid again I guess it will go back to the bottom of the paid charts and struggle to get back to where it was, though I have the lite version to direct a few sales.

I'm just fixing some bugs, changing the birds and fixing the rotating blocks controls for Quake Builder, should have done this like 4 months ago but I have been to excited working on my next game.

Yesterday Quake Builder had over 70,000 downloads.... Eeeeek! thats a lot of people playing my little game..

12. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    THE ASTEROIDS ARE COMING.... (Update to Quake Builder)

As the app has been doing very well the past few days since I made it free. (It can be seen in the U.S.A. top 100 games / apps.

I'm submitting an update tonight, changing the birds for a new character.

Changed how the multi-touch blocks work, sped up loading times, made it support multi-tasking and added a link to review the game once you've completed all 20 levels.

I'm gonna plan another stage with 20 more levels and blocks and hope to have that done for the Summer. Whether it turns into Quake Builder 2 or added to this game we shall see.