Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    And remind me, how is that relevant to this thread? Go horn your trolling skills sir.
    ---------

BTW, just looked at my activity log and I've played SFIV for 25 hours already. I've had the game for only 11 days.

That's quality gaming right there, folks.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I think it's "Hone"...

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

"Horn" your reading skills and you'd see how it pertains to the discussion at hand.

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    LOL. "Horn" :D

5. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    It doesn't "pertain" in any way to the discussion. It's only a childish, laughable attempt at trolling/derailing the thread. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. If you wanted to comment about how much you hate the device you purchased, go and make a thread about it. What does it have to do here? Nothing.
    -------------------------

And in more good news, Star Fox 64 3D coming out July 14th. Summer of the 3DS confirmed :D

Check the teaser site; it has a small clip of the revamped graphics for the classic intro of the game. Looks gorgeous:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anrj/index.html

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm hoping we see serious, long-term third-party support for this system. I realize that's far from a guarentee though.

Star Fox, just like the rest of these first-party titles, don't care. I am impressed with the system, with the tech itself and with the potential. I'm certainly not disappointed with what I've seen so far, but if this system turns out by the end to be nothing but a Nintendo IP-fest, I'm going to be disappointed. I don't understand how, as an adult, you could ever get into these franchises that were clearly devised for a much younger audience. If you are a gamer in your twenties, or thirties, I don't get how games like Star Fox and Mario and Zelda can do it for you. Zelda is a little more advanced, but, at the end of the day, these are kiddie games, basically.

7. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #547 Omega-F, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    Haha, you know why people who game get into these franchises? Because of the gameplay, level-design, game mechanics and polish, not because they are "kiddie".

Just a quick example, why are Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 the best rated exclusive games of this gen (and of all time excluding Zelda Ocarina of Time)? Hint: It has absolute nothing to do with what you said.

Now if you are a badass gamer who can only play hardcore, serious and totally mature stuff like Call of Duty, then yeah, stay away from this system!! :eek:

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey, Star Fox 64 could get quite tricky.

9. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    And some of the Mario games are downright infuriating with their difficulty. *cough*Super Mario Galaxy 2*cough*

They're not kiddie games in any sense of the word. They appeal to a broad audience. Nintendo just makes games that are that good.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Which makes the 3DS launch game lineup all the more confusing.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    As soon as Paper Mario hits, I'll get a 3DS. Well, maybe not right away, but definitely at some point after that. Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are two of the best games ever. IMHO, of course. They're fun, clever, challenging and funny. I really can't wait for the 3DS Paper Mario, which thankfully isn't going to be a remake, but a new game. At least that's what I'd read. I hope it's true. I don't really need to play the original Paper Mario in 3D. Though I probably would....

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Paper Mario is cool and all that (Thousand Year Door is also one of my favorite games of all time), but this is the real deal:

[​IMG]

Considering that Zelda and Star Fox are out in the Summer, there are some chances that this will be the big Holiday title. Man, how awesome would that be.

13. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  14. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Most launches are. The PsP launch games are even more horible, Ridge Racer being the best, the ds launch is nothing to brag about too but it went on to became one of the best selling system of all time. It's amazing how easy people forget.

15. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I just went to my local Target and tried out the 3DS with Pilotwings on it. HOLY SHIT. I must buy one!! Not only was Pilotwings fun but the 3D and impressive graphics just blew me away :D I can only imagine Street Fighter and Metal Gear on this thing....

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #557 squarezero, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    Anybody considering buying a 3DS at this point may want to read this.

So yeah, my brand new 3DS is out of commission (I had to give up after getting the black screen of death three times in a row on the same Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars mission -- talk about frustrating). Nintendo has confirmed that it's a hardware issue (after blaming 3rd party software for a few days), so I'll be shipping it to Nintendo on Monday and hopefully getting it back in about a week.

Considering the quality of the launch software, it may be worth holding off a purchase till the problem has been weeded out of the hardware manufacturing process -- maybe by the time Ocarina of Time arrives.

18. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I've had my 3ds for about three weeks now and I have never had the black screen. Guess I got lucky, but a lot of people are saying that only Ubisoft games are affected since they're badly programmed. Don't know if that's true or not though.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not true. As I said, Nintendo has admitted that it's a hardware issue. And just a quick web search will find plenty of other people who are facing the same problem with even the software that's included with the 3DS.

And BTW, I've had the 3DS since launch and it just started happening a few days ago. Unless you are psychologically invested in the idea that Nintendo can do no wrong, this is obviously a cause for concern.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    You relize they're releasing a update to fix that right? Also 3 times on the SAME ghost recon mission..? Coincidence or Game problem!

Also my dad went to china on buisness and got me this AWESOME case from this gamestore that they don't sell in the US! Its really nice!:D