Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If they are releasing an update, why did Nintendo:

1) confirm to me that it's a hardware issue in writing, and

2) asked me to send the unit back to them for repair at their expense?

This is not a debatable issue, unless you want to argue that I'm lying here. In any event, if the problem were specific to Ghost Recon, it would have cropped in the reviews. And as I mentioned above, people have encountered while using Nintendo-made software.

Of course, if you'd rather believe that this could not possibly be Nintendo's fault, please ignore my post.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Well then I really have nothing to say but, the advenced nintendo tech support are a bunch of liers:D I called up becuse I was having wi-fi issues and then he told me that they're releasing an update mid-may ti the end of may that will fix the black screen issue and enable the eShop :)

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's possible that they understand the problem better now. I would love it if this were merely a software issue -- I'm not looking forward to packaging and sending them my unit, especially since I'm not supposed to use the original box. I enjoying the device well enough (though nowhere near the level of some folks on this thread) and I'd rather not be without it for a while.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just an update. I decided to give the theory that the problem was just Ubisoft's allegedly crappy programming. I held off on sending the 3DS back to Nintendo and picked up Lego Star Wars (which I'd heard good things about). Well, I discovered 3 things: 1) Lego Star Wars is repetitive mess of a game, with the same single-stick-shooter problems that plague many a PSP title and some of the worst space combat action I've ever seen on a commercially released game; 2) 3D is absolutely no help to platforming; and 3) yep, it's a hardware problem -- the black screen of death is happening with this game, too.

So I'm shipping my 3DS back to Nintendo tomorrow. Hope I get it back before Ocarina of Time...

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that E3 in 5 weeks or so will bring an announcement of a big price cut. I really can't believe this thing is sustainable at $250. $200 and it would sell much better. $180 and it would set sustained sales records.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I would think that's way too early for a price cut, I don't see it happening.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    32GB iPad 2 or 3DS + Pokemon Black + new Beats Headphones? :eek:..Still haven't decided after nearly a month..

8. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    umm.....ummm.... such a hard desicion. I'd like to say iPad but beat headphones are so nice too!!! along with the 3ds... um get 10 tiny pieces of paper. write each 5 times. pick out of a hat.

Should make it easy :)

9. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I like my 3ds, I've had One issue in nearly a month's time, a Blksod on ghost recon. I've heard that turning wifi off during the game stops this from occurring.
    Backtothis, it would depend on if you have a Ipad1, other tablet, etc, and if you have a DS. I'd cover the most stuff first. And find better headphones for those prices. Not really talking smack on dre's Gear, just saying you can find better for the price. Or pay for a name/icy swift look all you want.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Meh I think I'll pass on the iPad. I really don't see myself using something that big anywhere outside my house, or wanting to bring it with me anywhere. The 3DS sounds like it should be a pretty fun experience. Of course, I'm grabbing Pokemon to start off my collection of games. It's been a long time since I've played one. I actually really liked the Beats Studio Pros. There's really nowhere around Houston that even allow you to sample headphones that aren't Beats. You can say they've got somewhat of a monopoly going on here with the Beats, hehe. I actually have some in-ear ones, but the over-ears provide an experience that's just so, so much better.

11. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
  12. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    anybody picked or picking up the new Lego Pirates of the Caribbean? It's getting amazing reviews and they say it actually benefits from 3D.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Only on PS3. I'm sure the DS version looks better with 3D than without, but overall the portable versions have had absolutely nothing on their console counterparts. Co-op is also a big part of the Lego games and you really need a 360 or PS3 to enjoy that.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Doesn't it support multi-cartridge multiplayer? Of course, even if it does, you'd need two 3DSs and two copies of the game. Ouch! :)

15. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    :*( I was really hoping the eshop released by May. My summer semester starts in June 6 so playing on the 3DS is out since I will have to concentrate on Discrete Math and Calc 3. God damnit Nintendo.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just bought a black one with Pokemon Black :], instead of an iPad 2. Haven't played Pokemon since the second generation. Man, am I excited. Let's see what Nintendo has to offer in comparison to the iOS.

17. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    wow thats unlucky... But i don't know why everyones flipping out they delayed it 6 days.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Gotta say I'm really impressed. Put three hours and two minutes into Pokemon Black already. Definitely both nostalgic and tons of fun. Excited to see some of the older Pokemon later on.

19. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Yeah, Pokemon......Not gonna happen. EVER. LEGO Pirates actually recieved a better review from IGN for the 3DS then it did for the ps3/360. Apparantly, there are a number of frustrating platforming deaths on the console versions that the 3DS's 3D effect helps to eliminate.

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Haha, I meant older Pokemon in my Black version later into the game xD. I'll buy that next then. Always been a fan of LEGO games, and was debating between that and SW III Clone Wars.