Universal Raiden Legacy - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    #121 Mullet_Mcgee, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    I have a renewed hatred for those $%@#ing tanks, I forgot how fast their bullets are! I've also noticed that the easy settings for each game have been axed, leaving us with only Normal and Hard. This is bad news for people like me who tend to suck real bad at dodging lightning-fast super-accurate bullets. Even though I love the Raiden games, I'll admit that I almost always had to go into the dip-switch settings when playing the games on an emulator, and dial down the difficulty a little bit.

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I finally got the courage to try Arcade controls.
    It makes a much bigger difference what ship one chooses. In this mode I tend to go with a balanced ship, otherwise it's all but impossible to get out of the way quick enough. This game is a constant barrage, and I love it.

It's a fair bit harder to play with arcade controls, but also somewhat satisfying, it's as the game originally played, and with the added strategi of ship selection it's just fun in a different, somehow not as frantic way.

In this mode, I find that it pays to use the bombs strategically, otherwise there's not much hope of survival.

For people used to 1:1 controls on iOS, it may be off putting to use Arcade Controld, but given the chance it takes no more than a game or two before you're used to it.

Played mostly Raiden Fighter 1 + 2 and Raiden Fighter Jet, but gave the original Raiden a shot too.
    Besides the much more dated visuals and not so many bullets on screen it's just as challenging, as the firepower available I'd much slimmer and spawns more seldom.
    Dang, this game is fun!

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Just got this and am enjoying it so far. Not sure if the developers are active in this forum, but I'd love the ability to mute the music while keeping the sound effects.
    Please consider, and keep up the good work!

4. Yeah, it would be nice to have a sound volume level as well as a music volume level for sure.

5. foxlyfe

foxlyfe Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Would be cool if in training mode, the score doesn't keep adding up when you redo the same mission. Would be nice to have a high score per level in training mode and be able to beat it.

6. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    #126 Robotwars, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    I'm not sure why you feel the need to insult people with your response because frankly you're wrong. No one wants the game dumbed down, no one wants the game made easy. This game has considerable input lag and doesn't feel very "natural" while playing. I have a tank stick and the original Raiden fired up and have been playing, and it's smooth as butter. This however, is not.

You can load up one of Cave's ports yourself, and select arcade mode. These are ports that play exactly like their original. They aren't dumbed down or made easier, there's just no lag.

It has nothing to do with the speed of the ship. It's about the input lag from the touch controls

I'd rather just have a semi transparent 8 way Dpad than laggy touch controls.

This is a fun game and I love it, but I think the controls need to be smoothed out and add another scheme like a dpad. There is room for improvement to make it more fun and competitive.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #127 awp69, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    ^^ Certainly don't mean this as an insult in anyway, but I just don't see the lag issue. Of course, I don't have the originals to compare them to but I'm enjoying these as much as the Cave games. I love these kind of games even though I tend to suck at them. So any issue with the controls would probably be more frustrating for me.

Everyone has the right to their opinion though so not saying you're wrong.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    These games are tough. I have yet to make it through mission 2 of Raiden Fighters 1 & 2 and not far in Jet or Raiden, all on Medium difficulty. I wish there was an Easy option. :) But it's fun. I'm glad there's four games to jump around, which keeps it fresh.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I"m also experiencing NO LAG WHATSOEVER in any of these ports on either of my devices. Even the horizontal movement is perfect 1:1 for me... it's vertical movement that gets a little funky and off, but since I'm not jumping to the top of the screen and all the way back to the bottom, it's no real issue for me. On Fast Touch, the ships follow my fingers perfectly, and on Arcade Touch, the ships speed is as it is in the original, and moves with my fingers - again, perfectly.

So... sorry for going off for the wrong reason - obviously a delay in input is a huge issue, and I hope that DotEmu gets it all straightened out with/for you.

10. Loaded this game on my iphone 4, so cool to have this classic on my iphone. But the game plays so much better on my new ipad. Guess this game was made for a large screen, so ipad does it more justice. But cool to have a classic on my iphone. Now I wait patiently for someone to put Robotron and Robotron 2084 on the iphone. Hint, hint, dotemu!!! :)

11. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    they're the same game. Raiden2,3,4 first! One thing I wish the game had is double tap smart bomb activation. Lovin the game.

12. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Just picked this up, played a game of each. Haven't played since I was a kid; it was Cave and iPhone that got me really heavy into shmups, and I'm lovin this.

I've noticed the ability to cancel enemy bullets out. Is that only with certain ships, or is there a power-up that I'm picking up that allows for that?

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's certain enemy bullets that can be canceled with any shot and any ship

14. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    you stopped raving about bug princess 2 black label youngman?

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    For the time being... Yuppers

16. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks. And BP2 Black Label...that's as good as it gets for me.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, ESPGaluda II was my favorite Cave game for YEARS until I got my hands on BP2BL... Now there's a tie between the two for my personal #1 favorite Cave title. And there's very few games that come even remotely close to that level. =oD

18. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I've had a rough week, but I finally got a chance to fire this up and get my ass kicked a couple times.

First impressions are very good. In fact, these games play better than they did in the arcade! I remember enduring constant slowdowns and flickering sprites playing Fighters Jet in a cabinet, but here it's buttery smooth. Nevermind how awesome touch control is for a shmup like this.

19. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Still wait for the update... :/ c'mon apple...

Never player bug princess 2 BL. How is it different than the original Bug Princess 2? (I think I prefer BP 1 over 2 and probly all of caves games, I dunno it's just the one I like the most..maybe for it's simplicity) the thing with Espgaluda is I can't seem to ever figure out the scoring system and with dodonpachi it's the blocking lasers thing..

20. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Tough game on normal. Best shmup in a while. I'm dying for raiden IV. I'll probably have to wait 5 years for it. :(