Writing a successful press release

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Charybdis, May 24, 2011.

1. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi there
    I have found some generic info about writing press releases, but I'd like some more info specifically aimed at writing them for games.
    Ideally, I would like to see some SUCCESSFUL iPhone game press releases and know what kind of response they got, why they worked, their strengths and weaknesses.
    By 'successful', I dont mean related to sales or quality of game. I mean, which press releases got journalists salivating and begging to review the game? What exactly are game journalists looking for? What was the magic?
    There is a lot of info out there to wade through, but I would like to hear some personal views, tips and experiences.

On a similar note, I heard that granting exclusive previews to sites can be a good thing. Does anyone have anything to share about that? How would one go about arranging that? Does it work out well?

Cheers

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think the trick is getting John Lithgow to do a reading of it. ;)

I’ve created quite a few press-releases (distributed through prMac.com). I wouldn’t call any of them successful in the way you describe, and I am not sure many press-releases are. (It would take a very special kind of product to make it stand out in a press-release).

Where I have had a little success is with my mail to websites. Slide-to-play loved my review-request so much they quoted the whole thing in one of their podcasts. I don’t think there’s any “trick” to it but what I tried to do was:

Keeping it honest.
    Keeping it short.
    Being personal.
    Being funny.

Now, the last two might sound risky, but I guess people getting review-requests by the hundred become tired of the adjective-rich standardized hyperbole most press-releases seem to exist of…

3. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    We've got a copy of Maria Veloso's book in our office. It can really help to focus you on getting the right info in and making the right calls to action to entice people in, whether they're journalists or customers:

http://www.webcopythatsells.com/

The only tip I would give on putting press releases on the wires, make sure there's something that the media will think is really newsworthy otherwise you won't get much pick up (and so you've wasted money) - first game of a new style, uses new tech, builds on an existing successful franchise, something like that.

4. Magic Dream Games

Magic Dream Games Well-Known Member

This is what we do when we market the game press release via email PR.

First lets distinguish two kind of Press Releases.
    One General , One for the video games opinion leaders.

I think a good press release can be divided in two separate sections.
    First one , it has to bring simple and quick informations about your game or app.
    Second one , the downloadable press pack.
    (ps it's better to have the game's site with the game name into the url, where you can find also the link to the presspack)

[name of the game] Press Release

Then and image , lets say the icon 512x512 (the one uploaded to the App Store).
    Under the image a couple of lines that tell if the game is the winner of some awards,or if it's already on the App Store , or if it has been featured on iTunes.

The itunes link of the game.

Then the description of the game , that can be the same on the App Store or one written just for the press release. It must be not to long .
    Things must be easy for the reviewer to grab. He has no time to loose.

Inform that you will deliver promo codes as soon as they replay
    (so you get the contact)

Then link to presspack that has to be hosted ,on your site. (possibly)
    Inform what's in the presspack :
    All the icon in forma 50x50 60x60 72x72 512x512
    The official images that you will see on itunes.
    2 Banners that represent the game . One high def (big) , the other is the small brother.
    Document of the game (.doc,pages,pdf) Description of the game and a message form the company CEO or main developer that tells a quote about the game and the mission of the company and the Message of Regards.
    A bunch (24) images of the game form different camera angles (if this respects the real gameplay)

Then, (you can move this also to the beginning of the message)
    a small box resuming (example)
    * Developer Name: Magic Dream Games
    * App Store Link Monster Trouble HD
    * Developer URL: http://www.mdg-soft.com
    * Game url : http://www.mdg-soft.com/monstertrouble.php
    * Application Name: Monster Trouble HD
    * Released on March 26, 2011

Then put the social media links (facebook,twitter,ecc)
    the Official video link on youtube, vimeo,game trailers
    the Game Play video link.

Then Five high res images that represent the game .

Best Regards,

Mycompanyname Team

(please do not publish this contact)
    Your contact
    Jim Morrison
    Marketing & Communication
    jim[at]thedoors.com
    marketing[at]thedoors.com

Mobile 123456789
    Other 123456788

Now go through the list of contact sites an email them all.
    (there are sites that have no email but forms)
    Make a small text version of this email and post it ,or ask
    for a contact email and submit the email.

The press release for the opinion leaders must be specific for them.
    Include Exclusive Material (exclusive downloadable pack)
    Include already the promo codes.
    Ask their device code for provisioning the game
    (if you have it already)
    Make a build an put it ,online to download , and past a link.

Write a small prologue to introduce better the game.
    Write a custom description of the game .

Best regards, and everything ...

Go through the list of the iOS videogames opinion leaders and mail them.

Best Regards
    :)

5. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I'm about to send my press release for Jump Birdy Jump.

Most of my previous press-release (from previous games) were pretty much ineffective. So, for this one, I've try to be original and funny, it probably won't work either :) but who knows. Check this out:

Morestel, France May 24, 2011
    “Jump Birdy Jump” brings fun and original characters to the App Store. (Have you ever seen a physics-based game on iOS starring birds before?).

Jump Birdy Jump is about the epic story of a little bird who wants to join his better half, but the cruel world won't let him. You will have to collect as many stars as you can (as everybody knows, that’s what birds do) while jumping between wires and avoiding pitfalls.

Ovogame (just one guy really, hand-crafting games in his garage) is delighted to finally enter the iPhone development scene:

"Apparently, we are the 85415th registered developer on Apple's IOS program. We are thrilled to enter this market at such an early stage. This should give us an edge over the competition." - Jean-Claude Cottier, Ovogame’s CEO.

The game is priced at $1.99 for iPhone and $2.99 for the HD universal version.

“We picked a top-end price for Jump Birdy Jump, as we really think our game is worth that insane amount of money. Many will call us greedy devs, but you know, somehow we’re silly enough to think our game is worth as much as a latte.” – Jean-Claude Cottier, Ovogame’s Sales Managing Director.

Check these truly awesome links and you’ll find happiness and wealth:

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-birdy-jump-hd/id431468126?mt=8&ls=1
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQ6-ZF-OaY
    Press pack:http://www.jumpbirdyjump.com/presspack.zip
    Screenshots: http://www.jumpbirdyjump.com/screenshots/
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jump-Birdy-Jump/202584516449588

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Where could I find this list?

JC

7. BigEyeGuy

BigEyeGuy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Been going through the matter myself, its one of those things that you might just well be doing because its another form of free exposure.

but seeing the app crowded prmac.com website, puts doubt in my heart that it will do anything other than lead 10 people into reading my press release and maybe (being very generous) 1 will download

AMA RIGHT?

8. NickFalk

You are probably right.
    What you will get though is the name of your game being displayed on several websites (allthough mostly, small-timers). Your site will be linked and you will see the press-release being tweeted. In addition to whatever other marketing you're doing it might help you building some name-recognition so that potential customer might finally decide to check it out for real. (The fourth or fifth time they come across your game)...

9. BigEyeGuy

BigEyeGuy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah yeah, thats why im sitting at the computer library writing a press release :)

Much love to the squid drop crew!

10. NickFalk

Thanks! I'll make sure to tell both me and myself! ;)

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #11 SkyMuffin, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    Marked a few spots here which were pretty vague-- try avoiding qualifiers in your writing. They don't add any real detail, just ambiguous ideas that every reader will decide for themselves. Be specific-- instead of "fun", how is the game fun? What about the gameplay makes it fun? The self-referential tongue-in-cheek "this isn't original" thing also turned me off a lot because it felt like you were trying too hard.

12. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

We just put out a press release today! What I've found to do the best is to write it like a news article. Put some good details in and make sure that lazy journalists can copy/paste chunks of it for their own articles. Since it only released a few hours ago I'm not 100% sure if it's successful yet :p

Acts of Kindness PR

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    That's a very good point. Most of the sites that actually use a press release will just cut and paste so you might as well write exactly what you would like to see.

14. ivucica

ivucica Member

May 24, 2011
    developer
    Zagreb, Croatia
    How about these two? They relate to our game Zombie Ball. (trailer)

We had more luck with the first one (about the trailer) -- more mentions, more looks at the site, but the second one got us more inquiries from the press. I'm comparing only first day after sending the PR out.

We were kind-of hoping for more information requests in both cases, and, of course, more mentions, but oh well.

We used gamespress.com to post both of these, so far. We're still getting ready to send the information directly to various sites.

15. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Thanks everyone. There's a lot of great info there.
    Now, I'd better get started on my press pack :)

16. Magic Dream Games

Magic Dream Games Well-Known Member

Remember to include into the press pack small banners of standard size.
    Remember also to produce the graphic art in case Apple features your game has Game of the week. (include it in the press pack)

17. lizsidebolt

lizsidebolt Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Press Release Contact List

I have been working on a list of my top contacts for the past few weeks and would like to share with everyone the most active game journalists writing about the industry. I had found through my research that many of the writers I was reaching out to are no longer apart of the sites they once wrote for and I was just wasting my time sending out press releases to irrelevant inboxes. If anyone else has had success with journalists not included in this list, please add them!

I have attached the list and would love to see additional contacts from all of you!

Thanks,

Liz Dickey
    Social Media Manager
    @SideboltStudios

Attached Files: