Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Crazy, wtf is up with that.

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You're half right, but the problem is with folks like yourself who don't bother to read forums, assume incorrect things because you're so challenged, and then blame the game designer for doing something different.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You misunderstand me. I wrote that the information has been posted before to make it clear that it didn't come originally from me, but from the developer. And my question was not intended to be rhetorical. You prefer a loading bar -- fine. Personally, I like how the opening animation makes the game feel more console-like, but I think adding a "Loading" message would take be a suitable compromise. Ultimately, my point is that you can't skip the time, since it's needed to load the assets (whether that time could be shortened with optimization, pardon me if I take the developer's word over yours).

4. bababewey

Jun 8, 2012
    It does seem to fill up more if the screen(I could be imagining this) definitely not 16/9 though.

5. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    yeah,you're right. I don't bother reading 87 pages of a forum just to check that. Especially when there are people like you being rude with others.
    I don't think I miss much.

And yeah, I still blame the game designer for their wrong good idea.
    It's not because it is a loading screen that it makes it any better to injest in anyway.

6. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Yeah, a loading message during the short clip could help indeed.
    But as I said, loading assets is not an action frozen in times. it can take X on machine 1 while it can take X-- on machine 2.
    Putting a clip here annihilates this advantage unless they cut it when the loading is done.

7. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    The lack of widescreen support wouldn't have bothered me that much if the graphics at least ran smoothly... after all, the update DID made them sharper. But now, whenever any bit of action happens or you rotate the camera, the frame-rate takes an annoying hit. Not something I've come to expect on a 5th gen iPod...

8. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #848 shoi, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    I guess we'll have to wait for the fullscreen support...
    I do experience drops in frame rate when I switch of environment (ie pass through a door) but it may always have been the case, don't remember. Otherwise, it is smooth.

I'll wait for the fullscreen support and that they fix the Japanese subtitles that still do not fit the screen to play it.

9. bababewey

Jun 8, 2012
    I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

10. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #850 defred34, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Considering it's zynga you may be right.

PS: I am particularly bummed because since release, Android has only received one update (it was pretty useless one anyway). I think on iOS it has received a few more? My point is, this is among the most poorly rated games I have on Android.... 2.7/5. Really looks like the devs abandoned Android long ago. Plus the fact the continue selling this to non-Tegra devices and pocket home the money is beyond me. Then again, we're talking about Zynga here.

11. bababewey

Jun 8, 2012
    Yup, I assume its not generating enough money on android to justify further development.

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If true, this will be a shame. This was the showcase game during the launch of Google's Nexus 7 tablet...how disrespectful of the devs to abandon ship like that.

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    So, according to you, it is now disrespectful to not pour money down the toilet on a project that isn't making money just because Google, who leaves the total Android market a hot mess on purpose, used their game as a way to highlight the graphical capabilities of the Nexus 7, an arrangement that, at best, is a mutually beneficial one?

That aside, that's a lot of rampant speculation over a dev that is not exactly known for lightning fast updates. If Apple has more customers, of course that's the platform they'll update first, anything else would be asinine, but that says nothing about if they will get similar updates out for the Android version.

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ign stated horn is getting a free version don't know how much exactly but it is getting a free version not lite

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Dang just read it and its true. These guys are never satisfied with what they have...happened to Dark Meadow too. Luckily here, its not really freemium nor is the whole game given out....just a new segment of it. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me stiffen my believe I want to not support Phosphor anymore.

16. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I've been thinking on buying this game, seems awesome! But I'm afraid it's crasher like Dark Meadow, how the game is? I have an iPhone 4 iOS 6, have this game good performance?

17. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The game is now in full retina resolution on the new ipad/ ipad 4. That's a huge increase and it looks a lot better :)

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Horn™ Free

Phosphor Games Studio, LLC
    NOTE: HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS AND ADVANCED FEATURES ONLY SUPPORTED ON iPad2, Latest iPad, iPhone4S, iPhone5, iPod 5th G…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    NOTE: HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS AND ADVANCED FEATURES ONLY SUPPORTED ON iPad2, Latest iPad, iPhone4S, iPhone5, iPod 5th Generation! NOTE: Horn is a graphically rich game with advanced features. To OPTIMIZE your playing experience, you may want to turn off other apps before playing. HORN FREE is the Free version of the Critically Acclaimed 3rd person action adventure game HORN - a completely unique experience where anyone can fully explore and enjoy a beautiful and engaging console-style world, all controllable by touch gestures. In HORN FREE all players can enjoy the “Prologue” section of the Horn Story, as well as a brand-new endless QUEST Mode where Horn seeks to destroy Titans taking over the land! Build up your gear as you take on tougher and tougher foes, and find all the secret caves to loot- the perfect experience for quick pick up and play! In the main Story you play as a young blacksmith's apprentice named Horn who wakes up to finds your village and lands over run by large fantastic, and sometimes humorous, monsters. It is revealed these creatures are actually the people and animals from your village transformed by a curse, and you alone have the power to free them. On your incredible adventure you carry the loud-mouthed head of one such fantastic creature with you - a somewhat uncooperative and ill-tempered but grudgingly helpful sidekick. Along with this new companion you must use your sword, crossbow, trusty musical horn, and wits to explore the lands, defeat the enemies, and solve puzzles in your quest to undo the curse that engulfs your homeland. Horn features: · Accessible controls that anyone can use- walking, jumping, crawling, even grapple hook, are all performed with intuitive gestures · Freely navigable console-quality detailed world- go wherever you want; not confined to limited path or rail · A rich and unique fantasy world · Touch-friendly melee combat and crossbow style weapons · 3 unique and beautiful lands to discover · Endlessly escalating challenge modes · Hidden side content to discover · Score written by award winning Austin Wintory and performed with full live orchestra
    Information
    Seller:Phosphor Games Studio, LLC
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Dec 11, 2012
    Updated:Dec 12, 2013
    Version:1.7
    Size:744.2 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Let the bitching commence

20. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I'll go first. This is a disgusting move, and we should have known better...after all it is Phosphor (whose previous game went free) and Zynga (the mother of all freemium games).