What are the biggest pains, as an IOS game developer, that you encounter in your day

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by anthonym534, Feb 11, 2014.

1. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Hi guys,

I was wondering what are the biggest pains, as an IOS game developer, that you encounter in your day to day activities?

Any software/tools/tips you use to ease that pain? Any pain that you experience that you have not found a solution for?

I'm trying to see if we can help each other improve since what you may be experiencing, someone else is too and may have solve that issue.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    marketing lol

3. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    hahaha don't we all. I guess a game marketing made easy platform wouldn't be bad.

it was a major pain in the ass for me to generate all the various graphic assets in the various resolutions/formats (iphone sd, iphone hd, iphone 4", ipad, ipad retina)

Did you have that problem?

4. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Whenever ios, unity or the hardware gets any kind of updates its weeks of messing around.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Use unity, so no.

Really, I have found unity updates to be pretty seemless.

6. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Biggest pain is spending 3 full months to develop a game from scratch (no contract work) and then making it free and it gets 2 downloads per day. XD

7. AxBattler

AxBattler Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    #7 AxBattler, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Me too, all things considered.
    Upgrading from 3.5 to 4 was a little messier, but that's understandable.
    But I don't remember having any significant trouble upgrading all the way from 4.0 to the latest 4.3.x

8. AxBattler

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    We just released our first game and I have to say that on iOS things went pretty smooth until now... the biggest challenge will be getting some money from it I guess ;)
    The fact that the Apple sandbox server were down half the time when we needed them for testing GameCenter and IAPs was very annoying.

9. PuzzleBrothers

PuzzleBrothers Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Indie developer
    Montpellier, France
    Getting reviews such as "this game was awesome but then it asked me to pay!!!!!!" 1 star. Yeah how dare we!

10. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    For iOS, I find waiting times for review and approval by Apple to be quite time consuming and frustrating sometimes - an extra week or two can easily pass by and derail your planned release date (if you have any in place that is!).

Quite annoying if you get your app gets rejected, thus wasting a week or so...

11. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Are you using a Freemiun model or pay upfront?

12. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I feel you. it kinda hurts the social proof but as long as you have other 4 or 5 star reviews people will click on it and see those 1 star reviews are just from the leaches that want everything in life free.

13. AxBattler

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    #13 AxBattler, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    It's not a freemium (the game costs 0.99$), but there are 2 expansion packs with additional content that can be purchased for 0.99$ each. No consumables.
    It's the one being discussed in this thread :)

14. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    What I've seen

That really sucks because it's completely out of your control and after the rejection you have to go find out why, hopefully fix it, and go through it again.

Have you had any problem with:

- Xcode? It's a bit jarring to press home or end and have the document go scrolling off

- The iPhone 4 and iPad 3 Fill rate? it is miserable requires special handling in most cases

-3d assets? Importing a 3d asset should be a 10 min job, but it is often a two day job. People use so many file formats, and not all support all the things you want.

15. AxBattler

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    Yeah, that was definitely a challenge for us too. We think we did a good job in the end but it took some time.
    On the bright side it was not as bad as the android version, with all the cheap/old devices around :)

16. anthonym534

anthonym534 Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Awesome! I'm going to promote it on my FB to my friends.

here is the link:
    https://www.facebook.com/anthony.miranda.14

Hope you don't mind I called you my friend :D

17. AxBattler

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    That's great, thank you! :D

18. AxBattler

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    Another thing I'm having trouble right now is keep doing actual work instead of checking compulsively every corner of the Internet for comments and reviews of the game ;)

19. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Testing can be a pain. Every time I make the slightest change I feel compelled to play the game all the way through, practice creating deleting and editing levels and so on. It would be nice to do incremental testing, i.e., if I just changed one thing I should just test that. But you never know where bugs might have a knock on effect...