Godfire IAP Debate and Discussion - Can a game have IAP and still be labeled premium?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chief78, Jun 18, 2014.

1. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The answer is NO.

The model that both devs and gamers would agree upon is this.

You have both freemium and premium in the same app. The app launches as freemium with a premium UNLOCK within the app. The dev gets to have many downloads and gamers get to 'trial' the game and also unlock the premium if they like it. For those that don't want to pay they can continue playing freemium. Freemium can use whatever tactics they like to try and encourage a sale because it's basically just a trial and to get exposure.

Win/win situation for both devs and gamers and finally we can ALL be at peace and concentrate on the game.

A LOT of very good games have gone down the drain because all the attention was on IAP not the game.

They need to separate the two freemium and premium with clear boundaries so as not to encroach on each other's domain.

Freemium is to gain exposure and provide a trial and premium is to give the full unadulterated experience of the game.

2. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Why is this argument still going on? I can see both sides, but if your gonna complain, complain about the combat, or the length. Not 'oh I can't unlock 100% of everything without spending more money. IM UPSET AND I DEMAND I GET IT*

3. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's just the start of many things you know,They call it a premium game worth 7$ but still include non attainable iap's.I'm yet to see any console game which does so If I have the digital download for which I paid for I should get everything on it,Next they'll block out survival mode and say the same thing "you don't need it to complete the game",okay I agree but there are people who still play games for 'fun' if you block out the best weapons behind iaps then it certainly spoils the game a little bit for me.If we don't stand up against now then it will become a norm like how iaps and timers have become.

And before anyone says it,The game is worth 7$ no more no less,It's the perfect price for it's short length and overall every aspect of it.It's not journey neither it's god of war and doesn't deserve anymore than that price simply because they didn't put enough money/time into it.If it was GOW quality then I would gladly pay another 10$ for it.It's like a fruit seller complaining about how much less money he makes compared to a CEO in a huge corporation.You can't/shoudn't expect yourself to make millions out of something if you aren't willing to put in that kind of money/risk.If you do then good but you shouldn't expect it to.

I wouldn't charge 20$ for my endless runner and lock levels behind iaps and then complain as to why it didn't sell as much as Fm or Oceanhorn.It should be obviously understandable.

Also no it's not a premium game/experience when yoh don't get the whole game if anything it's paymium.In a premium game nothing is hidden/locked out from me I can unlock everything without paying anymore like Oceanhorn or Bh:legacy.This is just as premium as Six guns since you 'don't need iaps to complete the game' in either of them.

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    That's why they moved this stuff to it's own thread - it gets tiring ;)

5. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    I thought do. Your worried about the slippery slope argument. That's a valid concern... But at the same time, all you have to do is vote with your wallet: say no.

6. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I got the game but didn't buy any one of the iap,Which I do 98% of the time with all games.It's a good game nothing as bad people make it out to be,But hiding weapons behind iap is just shady when you can't unlock them ingame.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Because, basically, IAP arguments are the 2014 equivalent of-

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think one problem with freemium games is that the types of gamers who have to get 100% on every level, or get every reward/medal etc must go mad with some of these games.

Remember my sister playing Simpsons Tapped Out begging me to get friends to add her so she can get certain items or to basically spam my Facebook/twitter to get more points in other games. Frustrating.

I tend to play a game, get to the end of a level and move on. The types who have to get 100% on every single level must have a nightmare with 'some' freemium games where they have to max out everything.

As others have said vote with your wallet. Not every freemium game is 'evil' so dont judge before hand (Look at Dungeon Quest, a great game). But freemium games arent actually that 'evil' to me anymore, its the dreaded 'timers' i dont get/understand. I want to play your game but i cant for 15 mins, so i'll simply play some of the other 500 games on my iphone instead and probably wont come back to this one.

9. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Oh god how long is that video? I don't even want to try and listen to it all. And I just think it's stupid unless it's something meaningful, like a big chunk of the game for extra money. I consider IAP's like DLC and micro transactions. I don't like them persay, but if the DLC is good, I'll get it and if micro transactions don't affect the gameplay, I'll still buy the game.

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#130 Anonomation, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Well, just watch the first few minutes of the song and replace the misunderstanding of the song with IAP. It's IAP in a nutshell.

----------------------------------
    This is the (argument) that never ends!

It goes on and on my friends!

Some people started (arguing) not knowing what it what it was,

And they'll continue (arguing) forever just because.
    -----------------------------------
    It's amazing the kind of IAP's you'll find, like with Gameloft's Ever so freemuim asphalt 8, in which you hit a point to where you have to grin for hours, or, pay real money. The best cars cost over 100 $ in IAP. If you want to be leaderboard worthy, you'll have to fully upgrade your car and give it boosters, which also cost many, many credits. I wish they made the freemuim version on side of a premium one for those who did not want to pay, as they ruined the game.