Vans SK8: Pool Service–approved by Apple

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dubane, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

I promised I'd let all of you know once I had more details to share about our upcoming game Vans SK8: Pool Service.

I've just finished submitting this to Apple and it should go live shortly after they approve it.

We'll have an "official" announcement once it's approved but until then I'm happy to share whatever information you'd like to know. We have posted a bit of information already on our blog and plan to continue our series of Developer Diaries in the coming few weeks - http://www.fuelgames.com/

We also posted the official trailer a couple weeks back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ89B5kVcC0&fmt=18) as well as a gameplay test a couple weeks before that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlcSCB5_dE&fmt=18)

We believe this is one of the first true action sports games available for the iPhone as it immerses you into a full 3D environment, allowing you to ride as either Bucky Lasek or Omar Hassan. You can perform 13 tricks (actually I think there might be 14 now :)), and compete in 10 different events all the while unlocking numerous boards, wheels and earning achievements.

Vans SK8: Pool Service will be sold for $4.99

I hope you enjoy the game, and feel free to ask if there's anything else you'd like to know.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm looking forward to this, and have been since you first announced it:). My guesstimate is probably Friday night. Can you tell me the Application file size? If not I can wait until the release. Thanks, can't wait.

3. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

I don't know what the final file size will be once it goes through the packaging process for Apple. The .zip file that I uploaded is just over 60MB. In addition to the core game content, we also have a couple videos to be unlocked as well as 5 music tracks from some great independent bands (Methadones, Penuckle, Slowride and Dwarves).

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This sounds like it's going to be a hit! I will give you my impressions as soon as I get a chance to buy it.;)

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    awesome :D
    Can't wait :D
    this game looks to be awesome :D

6. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

I tend to like the lower priced apps.....BUT......I am all over this one. The youtube video was short but from what I see....its looks insane! And seems easy to control as well!

7. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    That's about tops of what I've paid recently for some proper "overhyped" apps! But I'm getting the feeling that this one will be up there with some of the best. Some great music too, it's gonna be a long week... :D

8. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    #8 Almy, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Looking good! Are you planning on taking advantage of the 3.0 changes to offer expansions later? Like for new locations and such.

9. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    Aahhhh, yes!! So excited.

10. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    I have a few questions:

1. Is there only one pool to skate in? If so, will there be any updates providing more?

2. Can you get sponsors?

3. Is there any story mode at all?

11. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

Initially yes, there is just one pool to skate in. We'd love to be able to extend this with future updates, as we have a lot of ideas for how to make this even better.

You do not earn additional sponsors and while there is a career mode it does not have a defined story to play through. Our goal with this version was simply to provide the best core skate experience we could and we didn't want to let other stuff get in the way of that.

12. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    How many boards will there be?

13. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

#13 dubane, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    We've got 20 boards including Bucky and Omar's actual board designs. We also have 10 different wheels to unlock.

Here's a couple screenshots from the board and wheel select I just took. Some of the boards are based on actual board designs, while others were created by our internal concept artists. The board in the center of the screen is my second favorite in the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Wow! Those screenshots are awesome. So many boards and so many wheels... I can't wait for this game! ;)

15. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    Ok thanks!! I'm looking forward to this game.

16. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to this one. I agree that differeft pools to skate on would be a sweet update. I cant wait to check this game out!

17. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah new areas would really increase the life of this game, but as of now it looks great and I can't wait for the release! :D

18. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Looking forward to this. Hopefully this will be a better experience than grind

19. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    I realllly hope this comes out in the next day or two.

20. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    ditto