[OPEN BETA] MEGATROID: Megaman and Metroid meets procedurally generated content

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SmurGoes, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Game Designer/Music Producer/Marketer
    Skövde, Sweden
    #1 SmurGoes, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

(NOTE: thread title is outdated, the beta was held sometime in February)

Hello Touch Arcade forums!

I would like to make you all aware of our upcoming game MEGATROID by Triolith Entertainment!

RELEASE DATE: August 1

[​IMG]

Game concept

MEGATROID is an intense action-platformer with near-infinite stage variation!

Playing any of the old classic platformers, be it Super Mario Bros., Megaman or Sonic, you always play the same stages; often in strict order and structure: the stages are the same every time you play.

MEGATROID gives the player the possibility to generate a new stage at every session of play. Whether it’s your 100th, 1000th or even 10 000th time you boot up the game, you have the possibility of playing a stage you still haven’t played before.

The stages are generated by the simple act of typing something in. It doesn’t matter if it’s a real word like “ball” or “fish”, or complete nonsense like “adpwg)(&#N”, the game will still accept it and generate a stage based on it.

[​IMG]

After generating a stage the game plays like a classic platformer where you have to make your way from start to finish. You have to run, jump, shoot and wall-hang your way to the end of the stage and collect the treasures within.

As you progress through the stages you also earn experience points, which play a role in what items you are able to purchase from the in-game store!

[​IMG]

Liked/hated the stage you generated? Have your friends try it out! The game will generate the same stage on any device, across any platform, based on the same text input! Your stage “Master Chief Rulez!” will generate exactly the same stage on the phones of your friends!

MEGATROID follows the current trend of mobile games in that it’s free to play. The in-game store will feature items purchasable either by the game’s own currency or real money. Short of a few premium items, everything in the game can be earned by simply playing the game and collecting Credits. For those who aren’t afraid to spend a few cents though, there’s always the option to purchase items with real money.

The game can and will be expanded dynamically, with new items like weapons, armor and power-ups being added to the in-game store regularly!

[​IMG]

TRAILER:

DEVELOPER VIDEO 1:

2. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    This looks awesome :)

3. Triolith_Magnus

Jun 16, 2011
    Thank you! It's nice to see that we have gotten quite a few survey answers too! Makes it easier for us to make it the game you gamers want, so please let those comments in the survey flow!

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Played the first few Missions. A nice little Game also I would prefer it if it would have some Story Driven Gameplay...

5. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
    The story elements are yet to be implemented! We've received comments that players feel little incentive to go on playing and we feel that incorporating the story will keep the player motivated to continue!

Very glad that you like the game! Would be awesome if you could tell your friends about it. The more answers on our survey, the better we know on what things we need to improve in the game.

6. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
    Attention! Today is the last day of the MEGATROID Beta!

We want the game to be as excellent as can be, but we need your help! Play the game, get a feel for it and provide your thoughts. That way you're helping us make a great game and a great experience!

Thank you!

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Would have loved to have tried it but would have better if it was a normal beta as I can't be bothered to go find my laptop (in the cupboard) and turn it on when I've always got my idevice close at hand :)

8. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
    I'm sorry to hear that! The reason we're testing the game via browser distribution is however a question of accessibility. We figured that even people without iDevices should be able to give feedback.

Thank you for commenting though.

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I can see your point, makes more sense to have a bigger test audience.
    Sounds cool though and I'll pick it up when it comes out.

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
  11. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Reminds me a bit of Grokion (think that's how it was spelled), and that's a really good thing. Excited for this to be released.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'll be getting this whenever its out (hopefully soon), hope you can move the buttons around if you want to, always like the left/right buttons next to each other. Either way happy it has touch screen controls.

Is there a date for release yet ?

13. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
  14. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The game looks so interesting and the graphics look amazing. Waiting eagerly... ;)

15. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
    Thanks! We're currently waiting for Apple to approve the app. After that, we can set a release date! :)

16. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    Just played the first level and I'm really impressed. The only thing I didn't like was the boss fight. It seemed a little underwhelming, but I assume the bosses get bigger and badder as you level up?

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    #18 JoshCM, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    can i redo your guys' logo?

i meant the megatroid logo, not the triolith logo, because that one is pretty cool already :D

18. SmurGoes

SmurGoes Active Member

May 3, 2011
    Skövde, Sweden
    Firetruck94: The first boss fight is meant to be easy in order to demonstrate the mechanics of boss battles. The next time you meet Kierm, he will not be so nice! ;)

JoshCM: Lol, cool! You can redo it if you like, but I can't promise an official commitment to use it. If you do make one tho, we'll be sure to post it on out Triolith Entertainment and MEGATROID Facebook pages. :)

19. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    My iPhone4 is struggling to keep up. Gameplay gets choppy (especially when there are a few movable objects that I kicked) and the store takes a severely long time to load.

Otherwise I love the concept of level creations. I just did the level for 'who what where' and 'randomwordhere'. They seemed different enough to be quite fun.