iPad For The Win (by Martin Grider)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sizzlakalonji, Dec 17, 2012.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Bought it and what bad tutorial?! There must be something out there which can fix this, but I have my hands tied by all the MP games and the Carcassonne new expansion, Café International and...

2. Awesomenessprime

Awesomenessprime Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Ok unforgivable tutorial aside, is it actually fun?

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    How to tell when you can't figure out how to play from the tutorial?

4. iOSBoardGames

iOSBoardGames Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Interactive tutorial will be something we add. If the AI is challenging you, try the vain style instead.

You can also click the question mark at the top of screen to get in game hints about things in the game.

Really, I just want you to enjoy your purchase, so let me know if I can help.

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    It is fun actually and I disagree. The tutorial is not great, but at the end of it all rules are clear. Learning t play needs playing. It is a game that is different from what I was expecting and played so far. But in a positive way.

I hope their universal async update comes fast so that the game still gets a decent adoption, since playing online (especially with more than two) seems to be quite nice.

To the devs: please make an async playing with a timer of choice like for playdek plsss

6. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Let's be honest now. Although there certainly is things to improve with the tutorial it goes through the rules, which are quite simple and elegant. If the tutorial doesn't make it for you, it's possible to read the rules so if you where able to learn a boardgame prior to ios gaming you most certainly can learn to play this one.

The app itself is very polished and nice, although there are some bugs. Switchen from three players back to two before starting a game, still lets you choose the third color when using the zombie, and activating the follow on facebook-thing gives you a pointless middle screen when pressing back fron the options. But the game is rather well designed, although the amount of strategic choices makes it a bit overwhelming, at least for starters. It's like playing chess for the first time, even though you know how the peices move you still suck since you aren't familiar with the different setups and longer term tactics.

The AI however is far from impossible and I am 3-0 against balanced easy as for now. A bit pro is the stats, which shows you how many moves, shoves, activated abilities on differens classes and other interested things. These accumulates as well.

Overall a very good abstract game. May not be for everyone but fans of certain Knizia's should take a gamble with their dollar. Making it universal and async could really make it compete with other titles like outwitters for fans of turn based strategy titles.

Thanks
    Pedroapan

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    And I still keep loosing every game! Refreshingly good AI, at least for a noob

8. iOSBoardGames

iOSBoardGames Member

Dec 6, 2012
  9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I lost a bunch and just kept playing until I finally won a game. The AI is so good that you actually feel accomplished when you beat it. Plus this game is so sneaky, lol.

Anyway, now I'm afraid to play again, because I fear the game I won was a fluke and I'm going to go right back to losing. :D

10. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi,

Any updates on making the game universal and add async mp?

//Pedroapan

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I went to buy this, after reading some good things on boardgamegeek.com and it shows up in the app store but when I tried to download it, it says no longer available. Anyone know what's up?

12. jnt325

jnt325 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Just tried purchasing as well. Same issue. Bummer.

13. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    This looks like the same game but free. Still no multiplayer though.

https://appsto.re/se/2gOPY.i

Pedroapan

14. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Yep, that's the game. Wow, haven't played that one in a while, heh.

15. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, just a quick reply to explain about the game disappearing (and reappearing) from the app store.

I am the game's iOS developer. I was as surprised as everyone when it was gone from the app store. I contacted Tasty Minstrel Games (who paid me to develop the app), asking about what had happened. Essentially it just wasn't making them any money and they didn't want to keep paying apple to keep it in the store. (There is a $99 fee from apple to keep any number of apps in the store.) TMG was happy to allow me to put the game back in the store under my own account.

I very much still want to make the app Universal and give it async multiplayer, but I have too much going on right now to do so in my spare time. Maybe later this year I'll carve out some time, but I think it's about a solid two-weeks of work. (If I do that, I'll probably make the app paid again, so grab it now while it's free! ...especially if you own the old one, because I can't update that one, only the new one.)

More information about all of this is available on my blog here: http://chesstris.com/2014/04/04/for-the-win-app-relaunching-soon-app-store-rejection/

Thanks for reading!

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info! Great game btw!

17. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    Great news about a possible update and a great game in all its simplicity! Async mp would really improve this game. This is one of the few apps that made me buy the physical version as well. Good luck with the re-release!

//Pedroapan

18. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    Love this game. Hoping for multiplayer and ipad support though.

Pedroapan

19. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Dear Martin Grider,

thank you for re-uploading 'For the Win' under your own account! As a matter of fact I've owned the iOS version since release in 2012 but was unable to "get into it" until very recently... Originally I believe I was mildly put off by the cartoon-like graphics of the splash screen (the box cover of the physical version) and the fact the app wasn't universal but—more significantly—I wasn't prepared for the learning curve.

But now, after spending a few days playing with the app, I'm simply flabbergasted at how great this game is! And similarly awestruck by how diverse (selectable playing styles) and challenging (the 3 levels) the AI is.

Wow!

I much, much prefer this game to Hive. It's a crying shame that more 'abstract' gamers don't know about it.

Thanks again for keeping it alive!
    :)