Best day of week to launch

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simpleinteractive, Feb 27, 2014.

1. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    When an app is launched, it goes into the "new" list which, for many, is the only publicity we will get. Within hours, it is pushed into obscurity by new arrivals. What day of the week is best to launch to get attention? It seems to me weekend would be a bad idea as people are not checking for apps... But I may be wrong...

2. suppoman

suppoman Active Member

Oct 24, 2013
    It stays in the New list for about a week or two and then loses it's position.

In my personal experience, I launched an app on Friday and it got 800 downloads on the Saturday and 600 on the Sunday, and then during the week it fluctuated anywhere between 300 - 500 max and only went down from there. So my recommendation is to release it just in time for the weekend.

Be sure to send a press release out about it on day 1. Day 1 is when good new apps are likely to be picked up if it's hot enough to be newsworthy.

Good luck.

3. I am not sure press websites work on Saturday/Sunday? As in release stories. Wednesday and Thursday might be better as it allows time for someone to review your game before the weekend ( on your first week of release ).

4. Ironcode

Ironcode Active Member

Oct 23, 2013
    India
    Apple recommends launching an app on Thursday, because it is on that day they change the New & Noteworthy lists. If You feel your app has a chance of making that list, launch on thursday. Else launching on saturday is probably the best idea.

5. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    I would hold off on release things for a week or two. There are just so many flappy bird clones coming out at the moment, it is pushing everything off the new chart so fast. I did a simple game, and it had dropped off the new section in about 10 hours, I haven't seen anything like it before.

But generally, apple says Thursday is best, because they update everything. Sunday is the highest visited day for the app store, so most people download then. That is Thursday and Sunday in the USA, just in case you need to adjust the time zones.

6. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Thanks for all your help guys! Much appreciated. I will take on board this advice.

7. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    From my own personal experience, i find the best day to release is Thursday too - feels like there are a few more extra downloads gained from releasing on this day compared with other days (the other days i've released an app was Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, i think).

Just my opinion of course!..