Evil Genius: Scrap Squad [Relevant Games]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kilswich, Feb 10, 2014.

1. kilswich

kilswich Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Video game developer
    Durham, NC
    #1 kilswich, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hi! My name is Mike and I'm with Relevant Games. We'd like to share a game with you that we've been working on. It will be released in a couple of months.

In Scrap Squad, you play as an evil genius bent on (of course) world domination by making use of a never-ending stream of the world's garbage. By collecting and matching up varying types of recyclable items, you, as the evil genius, will fund your efforts. Use your ill-gotten gains to buy upgrades for your clanky collection of helper 'bots, while also tricking out your lair. Turn your scrap heap team of robots into a well-oiled super robot squad of collectors! Build an evil lair that will make you the envy of your sinister friends.

*Fast-paced gameplay challenging players to match and sort objects in a limited amount of time
    *Robot upgrades and special power-ups help the player keep up with the never-ending flow of mixed-up objects
    *A great mix of fun for kids and adults
    *Customization options let the player trick out their secret lab and make it their own

Scrap Squad puts players in the role of the game's namesake mad scientist in a frantically fun-on-the-run action game. Players start out with a secret lab, a few clunker robots and a simple mission to match up falling objects, which those robots haul away and turn into cash to finance your nefarious plans. The trash treadmill soon speeds up, challenging the player to upgrade his army of 'bots to become faster and more efficient. As players earn more and more money, they can unlock tons of upgrades, and make stylishly cool customizations to their evil lair - making them the envy of mad men everywhere!

[​IMG]

We're an indie developer/publisher located in Durham, NC. We're a super passionate group of industry veterans who have worked for Ubisoft, Epic Games, Insomniac Games, Westwood Studios, EA and cdv Software and worked on franchises like Ratchet and Clank, Ghost Recon, Command & Conquer, Rainbow Six, Gears of War, and Sacred.

More to come!

http://scrapsquadgame.com
    https://twitter.com/RelevantGames

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    #2 Based Xatu, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    You posted this 7 days ago, and no posts? Your game sounds and looks like you put a lot of polish into it. I hate when developers put their heart into their work and it gets no attention. If anything, I'll buy this on launch day to support your team.

Edit: I just saw where you guys are in durham,NC. That's so cool, because that's where I live, lol. I'm definently supporting you guys now.

3. kilswich

kilswich Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Video game developer
    Durham, NC
    Thank you so much for your kind words and support! We've spent a lot of time making this game feel right and look great, so it's nice to see someone outside of our team recognize that. We're continuing to polish to make it the best we possibly can for our players. I can't wait until you'll be able to check it out!

Yep, we're in Durham at the American Underground. Fantastic place to be creative!

4. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    I loved here since I was 2 and still don't know where that is, ha.

5. kilswich

kilswich Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Video game developer
    Durham, NC
    It’s been a crazy week! Our region of North Carolina was slammed with bad weather and an attack from the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Don't believe us, check it out for yourself..

[​IMG]

The teams at Relevant Games & Hazard Studios survived it all and persevered through it.

This week our Main Menu system got a lot of love and is approaching a level where we can start showing it off soon. Much code was written, many gameplay bugs fixed, and amazingly enough, some polish was added to our Power-up Belt Plugins too.

We’ll be back next week with updates. Please post any questions you have here and we’ll get them answered for you. For now, take a look at the new and shiny screenshot!
    [​IMG]

6. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    Is this freemium?

7. kilswich

kilswich Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Video game developer
    Durham, NC
    It's free 2 play.

8. kilswich

kilswich Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Video game developer
    Durham, NC
    Focus Testing

In-between stomping out bugs and finalizing features, the Scrap Squad team has been spending the week adding on polish to the game. The crew was motivated and pushed by preparing for an end of the week focus test. 15 pairs of fresh-eyes would be playing the game and then telling us exactly what they think about what we’ve all been working on for the past few months. No stress, right? Everyone hunkered down, stayed late and busted out some great work, so all worry about what the focus group would say ended up turning into nervous excitement to hear their thoughts.

Here's a first look at our splash screen. Trust us, it only gets cooler from here!

[​IMG]

Hard work and preparations paid off! Two groups from CPCC came down from Charlotte, each spent two hours playing Scrap Squad, taking surveys and giving us candid Big Brother-style feedback in our camera room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of us at Relevant Games & Hazard Studios couldn’t be more proud, or more anxious to review all of the analytics and their thoughts next week.

Here are a few screens from our latest build of the game. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]