Best way to archive game data?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MarkDF, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MarkDF

MarkDF Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Is there a way to delete a game from my iPad (oh, on the off chance that I run out of room), but save my progress so when I re-install it I don't have to start over again?

I've got several games that I'm quite a ways through, but don't find myself playing currently. I'd like to get back to them, but in the mean time, I need some room to try out newer ones.

I know in theory that when I do a backup to iTunes the game data must be somewhere in those thousands of files, but I'll never find it or know what to do with it if I found it.

Thanks for any help.

2. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    same wondering here

3. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    If you're jailbroken, Datadeposit is amazing and free. It stores your game data into your Dropbox folder. You can also store it manually through SSH.

4. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    With jailbreaking you can extract the required files with SSH and reserve them... I'm doing it this way now as i couldn't find any other way...

5. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Two days ago i updated to iOS 5.0 without jailbreak and successfully restored all saves.
    1. Backup save data with Datadeposit (cydia app)
    2. Restore save data with iExplorer (mac, windows free app). Worked successfully with none-jb devices. Restored about 40 games and all working perfectly

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    umm doesn't cydia mean jailbreaking... cydia+datdeposit=jailbreaking?

7. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #7 Andrey1610, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I backup my save data on jailbroken device with datadeposit and restored on none-jailbroken.

Edit:
    two ways backup saves without jailbreak:
    1. iPhone Backup Extractor. App can extract any file from itunes-backup.
    2. iExplorer. App can extract folders documents and library from any third party app (none system)

one way to restore
    1. iExplorer