Moonga the new trading card game for iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Moonga, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Moonga

Moonga Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #1 Moonga, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    Hello everyone

We are happy to announce Moonga the online trading card game for iPhone

What is Moonga ?
    Moonga is a new massively online multiplayer game for iPhone and iPod touch. In Moonga you are playing with a deck of 5 cards to try to take your opponent down. You will build your strategy by playing the right card at the right moment, anticipate opponent play and try to bluff him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Amazing graphics
    Card graphics are realized by talented artists from all over the world with various styles, to give Moonga a unique atmosphere. Build your deck to fit your strategy and your esthetical tastes.

[​IMG]

Unique game, unlimited possibilities
    Moonga is designed to be simple but rich in the gameplay diversity. It takes a few minutes to know how to play. Each player plays with a deck of 5 cards, 4 cards are revealed and one is face down. Games are short and intense, that perfectly fit mobile gaming experience on iPhone.

[​IMG]

A perfectly suitable platform
    Each card has its own capacity that can shatter the game’s rule and your opponent strategy. The different cards combination creates infinite strategies and possibilities.

[​IMG]

What next ?
    You can be informed on Moonga news or view some more screenshots by clicking on this button :
    [​IMG]

Follow us on twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    How does the trading aspect of the cards work? Can you earn more cards through play or are you going to have to buy more sets as they come out?

3. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Moonga The Gathering?!

So, how many cards are going to be included total? Can you trade cards online? Are all cards available from the start or do you unlocked them?

Thanks, the app store can use more games like that.

4. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    Looks good. :)

May I suggest to have a variety of monsters/creatures, if they are all dragons and elves then its no fun. Think of some more mythical creatures like Griffons or Demons. :D

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Yeah, do we have a deck of many cards and choose 5 to play at a time...and yes, how do we earn more cards to select from.

Also, will there be a single player mode?

Registered for the beta.

6. Moonga

Moonga Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you for your interest !

The first edition of Moonga will contain 100 cards. About 30 will be available at the game release. You choose 5 cards in your collection to make your deck.

When you download the game you get your deck for free. Then to get more cards you can
    - Buy themed pre constructed set of cards on the App Store (Dragon set, Griffon set, etc.)
    - Win some cards and set in events (tournaments, website offer, etc.)

You can play against computer (internet access still required) or VS a human player.

If you have any other question don't hesitate
    Hope you'll enjoy it !

Lukearcade22 this a preview of something different from a dragon
    [​IMG]

7. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    are the games timed? like what if you get into a game with someone and they just don't make a choice...or they suddenly leave?

8. Moonga

Moonga Member

Sep 8, 2009
    The game is not timed but if your opponent leave the game you get the notification and you win the game.

You have played games that doesn't handle that sort of case ?

9. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Not timed is bad
    cheesy losers will simply wait until you quit
    give it a reasonable time limit or find cheaters abusing the online game and find the legitimate players not playing and your game flopping

10. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    #10 Comassion, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    I don't think I really want to get into a collectible card game where I'm going to have to continually buy new sets of cards or else become obsolete against those who do. That can wind up making Moonga, like other trading card games, a very expensive game in the long run.

I'd like it if we could earn new cards by, say, beating other players who use them against us. That way some people who just want the card sets can buy them themselves, and the rest of us can work hard for them by beating those players.

Features like that will get you more people buying the game in the first place, and may ultimately be a better business decision. Lots of people don't want to get into a trading card game these days knowing that they're going to be shelling out a lot of cash to play down the road.

The timing issue is also important. Give players something like two-three minutes to play a card. Apparently there are only five cards to choose from at most - so people shouldn't need to take very long to decide what to do.

Finally, while we're critiquing things, I'd sic one of your card artists on your lifebar display. It could look a lot better.

11. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Finally another TCG! Been wanting one other than Orions for quite some time. Could you explain more about the mechanics of the game? What are the steps/phases? Do you get only 5 cards total in a hand, or 5 TYPES of cards (so like 6 of each of the 5 types of cards would make a deck of 30 cards).
    Signed up for the beta.

I would tend to agree on the timing issue as well - more as a cheat prevention method than to pressure a player to go.

12. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I was interested in this until I read that to even play vs the computer you need to be online. I travel a lot by train and then by tube each day. I wouldn't be able to play this at all because the signal isn't always available.

Any particular reason why this can't be played in single player mode offline?

Jamie.

13. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Yeah, you really need a timer; otherwise, like someone said the system could be terribly abused as someone just waits for you to leave so they can auto-win a game.

I like the idea of being able to win new cards for your deck...either getting awarded a random one you don't already have for winning or achieving a certain number of wins either through live or AI opponents or being able to choose a card from the loser's deck...not literally taking their card, but now you have access to that same card.

Having to buy new decks I don't think would fly too well as an idea...yeah, it will get expensive and then those who choose not to buy will perhaps suffer for not having the newer cards to play against opponents.

I was hoping the game would be set up so that you had more cards in your deck, but selected 5 at a time to play against an opponent that round and next round you would draw more cards to replace those that had been played if you needed to.

Also do agree with the previous poster...your card art is beautiful, but the basic table background is much too simple and does not look nearly as nice...are you planning on making that more elaborate since the game is not in beta yet?

14. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I thought id throw in my two cents. I love the cards they look great and thats something i always love about trading Card games. The whole joy when you get that "really good card" or whatever. A timer is definitely needed.

I think i signed for the beta. Im not too sure. I just put in my email address.

15. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I'm not sure buying new cards is that big of a deal, as long as the cost is not too prohibitive ($1 for a new set/pack maybe every 6 mos. would be ok). People have become accustomed to the idea of paying for new sets every so often with real TCGs, and while some may not like spending that much money over and over, as long as the new cards are not too costly and aren't more powerful than previous sets, I think it's ok. TCGs have an addictive nature - game developers not only know this but take full advantage of it (and for good reason - brings in the money), and if you don't like that fact, then don't succumb to it (either don't buy the game at all, or simply be happy with the set you get from the start).

But I do agree with the idea of being able to win cards from matches - for example either a totally random card or a card selected randomly from the opponent's deck (but getting a copy of it, not taking the person's actual card) if you win.

16. #16 ta11on, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Looks decent. But only 5 cards in a game? There must not be much strategy. As I said it "looks" decent, as in the art is good, but the game play already seems lacking. And you said the cards need to be played at the "right moment", which suggests this is a fast paced action game more than a turn based strategy game.

17. Rolento

Rolento Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    a TCG has been sorely needed on this platform, especially with the play anywhere + internet play functions of the platform. My question is why it has taken devs this long to actually make one (i know it takes time, but I mean in terms of focus).

bravo. All that I wonder now is how well the mechanics can hold.

18. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    This looks really good, and I think that if it explodes and does well, the buying of in-game cards will become really popular.

How awesome would it be for this to be the new Pokemon? Buy the packs of cards STRAIGHT from your couch!

19. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    They are obviously not going to give away card expansions for free. Games like this make money from dedicated players willing to shell out regularly for expansions, rather than from a huge number of one off sales. Even if it did offer free card updates, the difference in sales isn't likely to be big enough to compare to the potential revenue from paid expansions. This is especially true with games of this genre; there don't tend to be a huge number of casual players, but rather a small number of very dedicated players. People interested in the genre are likely to buy the game even if they do have to pay for expansion sets. People that are not particularly fans of the genre are unlikley to buy the game on the promise of free content updates, something that is very common in the app store anyway. So offering free expansions will likely only attract a few new buyers, whilst forgoing a huge potential revenue from dedicated gamers.

20. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Heh a game with only 5 cards per game, and a theme like Pokemon or Yugioh cards where it forces you to buy more powerful cards in order to stand a chance at winning any matches? I was hoping for an actual card game, where everyone has similar decks, no extra purchase necessary, and new cards can be won by battling AI (meaning everyone has an equal chance at getting the good cards, not by simply purchasing them), very disappointed. Pass.