Generations (working title) a Metroidvania type game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Diablohead, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Hi all, long time poster and long time wanna-be iOS game maker!

Over the years I have tried many times to get into iOS gaming but it's been rather hard, as someone who can 3D model, draw and with a huge interest in the platform I have worked on lots of things including the anime styled MUD Rally which never saw the light of day :(

However, I am glad to announce that my latest game based on an idea I have had for years has finally become reality, and I call it Generations.

[​IMG]

Generations is based on the genre of upgrading and progressing to finish the story aka metroid and castlevania SotN to name a few classics.

The game was originally designed to work on all devices but as the game went on it's now become a more modern device only game 3GS and up. Do not let the 480 x 320 res fool you as the game has a lot of visual effects going for it right now and is also suppose to emulate the look and feel of those old 16 bit games from the snes and megadrive era, which I think works really well currently :)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I look forward to updating this thread where possible! enjoy!

2. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Graphics look good.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  5. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    Sometime soon hopefully, still need to nail a few things before I can move on to that stage.

6. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I hope it'll at least be universal. Cause as you said my 2nd Gen just won't cut it.

7. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    Any new material you can show us?

8. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
  9. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    #9 Diablohead, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Due to christmas, the new year and my job not much :( but I can say what's been changed for now.

[​IMG]

HUD is completely gone, now your health is displayed above the character in certain situations.

Added in a slightly dark shadow around the edge of the screen to emulate an old SDTV feeling, this game is like a throwback to metroid and 16 bit gaming.

Adding in cover mechanics so the areas you run around are a little more dynamic.

And some tweaks to the lighting, the stuff not baked on from the sprite work.

I am also thinking about the differences in selling the game for a set price or giving it away but use iAD for the menus, any thoughts?

10. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Definately sell it for a price. A lot of people really really dislike ads and iAps

11. WizMan

WizMan Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Graphics look great but lack of monsters in the screens.

12. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    It's one of the next things I need to add, making sure the character moves as intended first.

13. ReddestDream

ReddestDream Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Student
    NC, USA
    Seconded! There aren't too many Metroidvania games on the App Store, so this could be pretty cool! :)

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Without a doubt...sell it.

15. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Definitely sell it for a price!! I absolutely hate ads of any kind in my apps. :) That being said, this looks very promising!! I can't wait to see a gameplay video!!

16. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    Well that's a pretty clean screen. Any news on whether it'll be universal or not?

17. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    Hopefully yes.

18. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    How far along is this development ? Really will be ready for release in a couple of weeks ?

19. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    Sorry for a slow reply, i've been working hard on the game between my real life job but it will still be a month or two before this makes it to the light of day.

Things are going very strong right now, i'll be able to make a small gameplay video at some point soon.

20. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    My low budget webcam is no good for capturing footage from an iphone so for now it's a few more pictures until I can get my hands on a good digital camera.

Over the last few weeks a few things have been added but a lot has been refined, you can automatically take cover behind certain scenery and you will automatically crouch when there is not enough space above your head to move, this will also slow you down.

Speech is finally in:

[​IMG]

You can interact with switches and other things via touch when prompted, a bubble will appear to say you can do so when close to an object.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also this is the current launch image :p

[​IMG]