Marketing VS Proprietary Idea

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by readysetretro, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What side would you choose?

1. Post gameplay footage for the feedback, and gain interested followers

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Protect original ideas; release vague teaser trailers closer to launch date

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. readysetretro

readysetretro Well-Known Member

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on releasing early gameplay footage.

On one side, I would like to post a gameplay video of a game I'm working on to build interest, increase awareness, get feedback, etc. On the other hand, I worry that ideas and game mechanics that make this game unique, could easily be half assed into a rip off game before I have time to finish.

So lets hear the pros and cons of releasing gameplay footage

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The biggest thing is, don't release anything too early. Not even because you run the risk if being ripped off, but because if you delay too long, excitement will invariably die down.

3. readysetretro

Point well taken, thanks. Still, I wonder if having people upset about a longer wait for a game is better than nobody knowing about it in the first place.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I've noticed (mostly around these forums, but applicable to the gaming scene in general) that if you reveal too early and then take too long do deliver anything, people will start to ignore the name (or thread) since they lose interest and just stop caring.

If they gloss over the upcoming news, chances are they'll gloss over the released game as well and that's pretty obviously bad for business. If they're upset, they're still interested. Once they stop caring you should be getting worried and that's the balance you have to (somehow) figure out.

5. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Don't worry about someone stealing your mechanics or game idea. Chances are it is far less unique than you'd think it is (maybe more market research would quickly reveal that) or somebody else has the same idea already. If not and if your game is a success (a lot of ifs already), people will quickly copycat it anyway.

Execution is the key, nothing is an instant success just by virtue of having interesting mechanics or a "good idea". Get over this.

Post information about your game early on. It can't be too early but the key point is: keep posting more info as you're making progress. Another concept art, screenshot, developer blog, important achievement, plot, whatever, share it.

6. readysetretro

Seems to be conflicting opinions so far. I'm going to struggle with developing the most appropriate strategy.

For those who feel that too soon is a bad idea, how soon is too soon?