Iphone screen protector or not for gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by willmeek, Jun 19, 2009.

1. willmeek

willmeek Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Hello all,

I've always used an InvisibleSheild to protect the screen from little hairline scratches from my fingers. I game a lot and the screen gets a good workout. However, I'm considering not putting one on my new 3GS.

For those not using a screen protector, has your iPhone/Touch gotten a lot of scratches from your fingers or has it not been a problem?

Thanks for your comments.

Have a good weekend.

2. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Wrong section.

And I would 100% recommend a screen protector. It doesn't interfere with gaming. You can hardly notice it. Unless you want fingerprint smudges, scratches, and all kinds of debris and other things all over your screen. Me? No thanks. I'll stick with the screen protector that costs me 2 bucks in comparison to paying for a much more expensive screen and in extension, the iPhone/iPod itself.

3. Password

Password Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I've had my ipod touch 1g for about a year now, and I never got around to buying a screen protector. However, after a year, it doesn't have a single visible scratch, and I've found that when I used other ipods with screen protectors, it feels really unnatural, so I probably won't ever get one. Anyway, screen's durable enough that scratches have never been an issue

4. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I don't mean just scratches. I mean smudges and imprints that mess up the visuals. I hate to look at a screen and play a game full of smudges. YOu can try to get it off but it'll happen again and again.

5. AlvinoTheChipmunk

AlvinoTheChipmunk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Yea, I don't have a screen protector, and it's been many months, with no scratches. And when I see smudges, I just pause the game, grab a tissue, wet it a little, then wipe =P I attempted to put on the one that came with my case, but I couldn't get out all the bubbles, so I just gave up lmfao...

6. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    The oleophobic coating on the 3Gs should help with fingerprints and oils but not scratches. The iDevice is an expensive piece of gadgetry and personally I'd do everything I could to protect it to keep it looking new and for resale value, if you ever decide to sell it when a new device hits the market.

7. accidental

accidental Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I thought everyone knew that the iPhone and iPod Touch have scratch proof glass. I guess not. Don't bother with a screen protector, it doesn't need it.

There are videos of people taking to iPhone screens with keys, and no damage.

Apple designed it so that you could put it in your bag or pocket and not need a screen protector.

So no, soft little fingers are not going to damage it at all. In fact, in my experience with screen protectors, they make smudges are MORE annoying to wipe off.

8. Password

Password Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I've never found smudges or fingerprints to be a problem when playing, even though sometimes I'll look at it from an angle and notice a few. If I do, I just wipe it with my shirt and it's okay. Even if it was a problem, id on't know if I could give up the natural feel of the screen for the somewhat rough feel of a screen protector

9. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

Those videos all have the invsible shield on it. Take a key to your idevice and see what happens.

10. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    It is not scratch proof, there have been articles about it. Yes people have found ways to scratch the iPhone screen, google it.

11. trylleklovn

trylleklovn Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I've rubbed keys against my iPhone screen plenty of times to impress people with its super natural un-scratchable screen.

Unfortunally the screen has gotten som small, hardly visible scratches. Although not from my keys but from something else, non intended.

If you want an invishield, then buy one and put it on. My brother did. It's almost impossible to see and actually makes to touch-grid less visible in direct sunlight. I can't feel any difference when using his, so i don't see why not. Would it have preventet some scratches? Perhaps.

12. mikoburnz

mikoburnz Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    It's still scratch proof from the most common things, sure if you use krypton to scratch it, something might happen. If you use it regularly than you should be fine.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The only marks I have on my Touch's screen are dings from a fall and a trip in the washer, and their tiny. I mean, as small as the period on this screen, and only a couple. Now that's because of my own carelessness. The aluminum, though, I'm not gonna lie, is scratched like hell, which is why I don't really recommend screen protectors, just a good silicone sleeve or strong plastic case. And as an extra precaution, don't keep your phone in your pocket with your keys, coins, or anything that might, just might rub too hard against your phone and dent or something. If you go to the beach, be careful, sand CAN scratch glass.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Protective glass or not it is very good glass, i'm yet to have a scratch on mine since the beginning of this year and I carry it around in my pockets a lot. I don't however carry it in the same pocket as my keys, that's just silly even with a protector on it.

15. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I would absolutely recommend using a screen protector. I used to use one on my 3G, then I took it off. Then it got scratched and now I'm back to using it again. Any future iPhones I get I'm always going to use it starting day one.

16. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I'm pretty sure the screen is tempered glass, so it's pretty dang hard to scratch from normal day to day activity.

Sure there are smudges but just go "aah" right next to screen and wipe the breath off with your shirt. It gets all the smudges off and makes the screen perfect again. You're going to get smudges whether you have a screen protector on or not..

17. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    No screen protector - 10 months of being in my pocket every day - one scratch but not on the screen - right beside the home button.

Smudges come off easy and if unless you are in direct sunlight playing a dark game - you probably wont notice much... save your money and buy another game or two ;)

18. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    Waste of time

As an earlier poster said, the back scratches much more readily than the front. In my opinion a screen protector is a waste of time. In the end how long do you really expect your device to last - 2 years max probably, and at this time the resale value will be next to nothing anyway - why bother with cases and protectors that hide the sleekness and beauty of the device, and also make it bigger to carry around?