Will the iDevice platform ever see more modern/epic RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Feb 16, 2010.

1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm curious if anyone thinks we will see more epic and modern JRPG and WRPGs on the iDevice platform. Right now we get roguelikes, SNES style ARPGs and other cheaper mobile style rpg's. When we will begin to see higher quality epic RPGs on the platform?

Discuss...

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ravensword II will a be a full-fledged RPG (unlike the first one, which was an action/adventure game with RPG elements) and should be pretty epic. Square Enix is partnering with Media.Visions to develop an RPG (though the project seems pretty vague right now). Final Fantasy I and II are coming -- technically NES games, but the versions we're getting are actually PSP ports. There's a secret online multiplayer RPG project that should be releasing soon -- not quite epic in story, but certainly modern in form. Then there's that rumor of a Kingdom Hearts port, and a supposedly forthcoming Bethesda project...

Modern epic RPGs (either J or W) are probably some of the most expensive games to produce, particularly if they're going to have the 20+ hours of gameplay that fans demand. Considering App Store economics, we're more likely to see ports from other platforms rather than original productions.

3. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Any idea when Ravensword II hits? I heard alot of disappointing reviews on the first so I haven't picked it up. Seems like it's only 8 hours or so, which is disappointing, but then it's not really an RPG either. Is there any additional info on it? I'd like to see what they are working on.

I would love to see the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes that were released on the DS. Maybe if FF 1 and 2 do well we'll see those down the pipeline. I already played and beat FF 1 and 2 on the PSX (I believe remake was falled Final Fantasy Origins), but I might purchase those just to help sales.

The Bethesda project, if true, is exciting. Their games can be buggy as hell, but they are also epic. Not sure what they would put on the iPhone, but hopefully it would be something of the same quality but on a smaller scale. I hope it isn't something gimmicky like the Mass Effect game Bioware made.

Not sure if we will ever reach this point, but I'd love to see some Japanese developers jump on the iPhone. Handhelds have been the huge market for JRPG's this generation, especially the DS, and I'd love see taht spill over onto the iPhone. The only issue is I'm not sure how well the iPhone sells in Japan. If it doesn't do well, that will never happen.

Finally, I guess this is more evidence the App Store needs some changes. I love the fact that big time games are only a few dollars, but it definately is preventing bigger developers and major projects, especially original productions, from coming out up to this point.

4. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Something of the caliber of a Chrono Trigger, World Ends With You, or even more recent stuff like Fallout, Mass Effect or Oblivion? I don't think so.

RPG's require of a lot of man power and a big budget (well, at least if you want the game to be relevant), and that's something that not many developers are willing to go for an iPod project that has to be sold for under $9.99 and whiny kids will still complain.

5. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Well games like Mass Effect and Fallout aren't meant to carry over to handhelds in any case. For whatever reason, JRPG's seem to fit better as a handheld, which I'd like to see.

I agree that price is an issue. I'd easily pay a premium for a high quality epic JRPG on the iPhone. It may not be the optimal platform, but it'll give me a excellent game to experience on the road, in line, at work, and so on. I payed $60 without question for Mass Effect 2 and will likely do the same for Final Fantasy XIII next month, so I can easily fork out $20-30 for a high quality RPG on the iPhone if that ever happens. It's unfortunate all the screaming that would occur here though.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #6 squarezero, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    You'll be surprised to hear that I actually agree with you. The iDevice may get ports of the DS versions of some of those games, depending on how FF1 and FF2 do on the platform. But, under the current market conditions, I don't expect anything original of quite that scope.

@txag2005: A port of an existing DS property doesn't really have to sell for $20.00 to be profitable -- the costs of adapting the game for the iDevice are much lower than those of actually developing a brand new property. Omega-F will likely cry foul, but I think that the iPhone would be an excellent platform for a turn-based JRPG. The one thing I dislike about playing console RPGs is cycling through all the options. On the DS you can at least select with a stylus, but it would be great just to tap your character, select an action, then tap on the target.

7. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Any idea if we'll ever see changes to the App store or at least specific to gaming? I think that will be a huge step is getting more complete game experiences on the iPhone.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Frankly, I don't thing so. But who knows -- it's such a young market, pretty much anything is possible at this point.

As far as JRPGs are concerned, one encouraging sign is that the iPhone is selling extremely well in Japan. Perhaps that will encourage the usual players to invest more heavily on the platform.

9. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    That is a good sign. On the other hand practically everyone in Japan owns and plays the DS, which explains why the DS is the major JRPG platform this gen. I would like to see alot of the good JRPG developers look towards the iPhone, but I'm sure there are tons of Nintendo exclusivity deals that might kill that. I know Japanese game development has shifting towards handhelds also just due to the massive cost of developing for the PS3/360, and since the iPhone is definately cheaper to develop for, maybe that will pull some over.

All that is irrelvant if the App store doesn't change. Big Japanese developers aren't going to want to sell their epic RPG's for $10 a pop, especially since outside of major names like GTA/CoD, it seems like $10 games sell terribly on the App store.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    There are already a few high quality RPGs, such as Ravensword and Dungeon Hunter.

11. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    They are far too short to be considered "high quality". Ravensword was decent but dungeon hunter was extremely disappointing; it would have been better if there had been a different story line for each character

12. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Well, if you want "long" rpgs, there's always Zenonia and Inotia 2... I haven't finished either. But that's because I lost interest in them mostly. But they each have like 40 hours of gameplay.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    That's called quantity over quality. Seriously, Zenonia is 90% made up of grinding. Once you play the first level you know it all. Repetitive quests and heavy grinding, no wonder many people get bored with it. Yes it was a good game when released because there was no competitor, but compared with RPG games on other consoles it just plain sucks.

Even compared to mediocre jRPGs on the DS, Zenonia is nothing. Let alone Zelda, Final Fantasy or The World Ends With You.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Will the iDevice platform ever see more modern/epic RPGs?
    Yes, definately. But that takes time... the most time, in fact.

15. Tashawn

Tashawn Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Crusade of Destiny.

16. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    All I'd want to see would be a Chrono Trigger port and I'd be the most happy human evar.

17. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    And remember final fantasy is rumored to come out this year......