Final Fantasy 1 & 2, each $8.99-> $3.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by nightc1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Romeo Longsword

Romeo Longsword Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    #21 Romeo Longsword, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Hi guys, is Final Fantasy II on Iphone the same as Final Fantasy IV in Japan SNES?

Edit: Sorry I just re-read the pass comments, saying the FF2 on iPhone is actually the Japanese FF2.

2. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Dear Square Enix,

Please release Final Fantasy VI (or even the SNES FF VI) without any 3D bullcrap. And please don't make it a grind fest and put in save anywhere and an option to have the whole gang level up automatically. K Thx Bye.

-Serian

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Pretty much all the versions of FF2 after the SNES release have been the original Japanese FF2 instead of FF4 (USA FF2).

4. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Are either of the versions on sale worth the $? I played a couple version of FF as a kid but don't remember which ones. I generally don't have enough time for RPGs these days, but might consider one of these for nostalgic purposes since I think this is the biggest sale they've had to date.

5. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    ^^^^ This!!

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #26 nightc1, Dec 7, 2012
    I think of these games, FF3 is probably the most competent of the three as it adds job systems and stuff. But FF1 is the only one of the three that came to the NES in the US. So depending on how long ago it was when you were a kid will affect which game will bring the most nostalgia. For me, I started with FF on the NES... but I also like digging through an entire series and for ~$17 to get all 3 games seems like a good deal since Square rarely has a sale on anything.

Of the two cheaper ones, FF2 is probably the better overall game.

7. ap3604

ap3604 Member

Nov 27, 2011
    LoL I was going to say the exact same thing :p

I can wait though. I love having the patience to get good deals on Square Enix games :D

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #28 undeadcow, Dec 7, 2012
    If you haven't played the iOS port prepared to have your childhood memories ravaged by defunct difficulty and other "updates." It's odd to me that people hear the name Final Fantasy and immediately compare to the NES classic(s) when there is perhaps too much "updating." George Lucas has nothing on these guys. The plot, such as there is any plot, is the same but the gameplay is streamlined somewhat. The Final Fantasy iOS ports are worth picking up for the uninitiated but don't compare to the actual original games.
    Yes! Where is the like button?

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Does this version of FF1 fix the mistake where Masters have worse stat growth than Black Belts?

10. NaiveCynic

NaiveCynic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    If you're a fan of old school 8-bit and 16-bit RPGs I'd say they're worth it. The updated visuals are nice but still have a nostalgic charm and the gameplay holds up surprisingly well despite the passage of time.

Maybe be wary of FFII though. A lot of people don't like the stat leveling system in that game. It's a bit ridiculous having to attack yourself to grind for HP increases and silly things like that.

11. Romeo Longsword

Romeo Longsword Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Hong Kong, London, Osaka
    I so look forward to the release of FFIV on iPhone, I've played it as a kid and did not finish it due to moving aboard (the SNES wasn't mine).

I also played it in Japanese, a language that I did not, and do not understand, but interestingly the 8 or 16 bit animation still tells the story, I knew roughly what went on. Since the FFIV experience as a child I have been looking for games such as this all my life, it would be great to finally know what they say after 20 years.

12. killerkat68

killerkat68 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Are these games worth buying if you are new to the series?

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes. Final Fantasy has a great sense of world exploration with enrivonmental "puzzles" and an open world dynamic. On the iDevices it is nearly unparalleled in depth. I regret that some of the iOS port tweaks weaken the difficulty but that makes it a better choice for novices and it does include an extra-hard challenge dungeon. Get Final Fantasy 1 for $3.99 while you can and if you like it then go for the sequel. If nothing else you'd be exposing yourself to an important part of video game history. Maybe it's bias but I prefer the "older" Final Fantasy games (FF1-6) to the newer incarnations (FF7+); to me Final Fantasy 9 marked the end of the franchise.

14. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The games are good... but I can't deny that I have a lot of nostalgia for FF1 and wanting to have all of the games on iOS (since my iPhone is pretty much with me all the time) is a big drive for my purchase. Still, I do love classic turn based RPG's. IF you like the genre a bunch then it might be worth it for you, though there are probably better modern games on iOS to pick from for less money.

15. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    couldnt agree more! The series also died for me after the psone incarnations and I actually liked a lot FF Dimensions precisely because it harkens back to the roots of the franchise.

FF I is a little barren compared with more recent rpgs (like FF III for instance) but its a great introduction to the series and, as undead cow said it is for sure a piece of gaming history.

16. killerkat68

killerkat68 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the answers, I will probably pick up FFI

17. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    same question here.

18. shinbone64

shinbone64 Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Only iPhone? :(

19. NaiveCynic

NaiveCynic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    The iPad version of FFIII is on sale for $9.99.

20. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    ? Not sure. I looked at FF2 and it says compatible with all 3 types of ios devices with ios 3 and above.