Is selling a source code package for $100 too cheap or expensive

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maccyfin, May 16, 2014.

1. maccyfin

maccyfin Active Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Hey all. I wanted to get some opinions.
    If we sell some source code for a basic game do you think $100 is too much or too cheap? Some people said that they bought some for several hundred and it didn't work out, others have said they got a good ROI. I've also seen a variety from $50 to $1000 for source code :s

just want to know what people think is a good price roughly.

thanks for any advice :)

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    depends on quality of source code.

If you want an idea of price there are plenty of full projects that range from free to about $100 (which seems to be the top end on the unity store which have to be super high in quality).

I actually got 12 quick android games for free the store to look at sample code which I thought was amazing someone was giving it away.

3. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    coders get free

Hang on
    I pay coders to upload binary and
    Put
    Ad network
    Sdk in my source code where I have to send
    Them my source code so should I be asking for cheap
    Coding as
    They probably sell that or something/

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I am not entirely sure what you are asking but there is a big difference between custom work and selling something to multiple customers as an asset.

I was also just simply stating what the market currently has.

5. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    #5 OnlyJoe, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

It would be really cool if you could let us know how it goes. I have been thinking about selling source code, its just really hard to workout how many people actually buy it. On those sites like ChupaMobile $100 seems about the normal. You could go in and undercut them, if your source code is very similar to another. I don't think the people that buy the code are really that aware of how simple or complex the project is, they just want a good return on investment. Or they are first time, and don't really know how much they should be spending at all.

I see it a little like the get rich quick, ebook market. Lots of people have seen some kind of talk on how if you have 50 apps on the app store, you can be brining in a million dollars a day. So they think $100 to buy an app is an amazing deal. You might as well profit off this market while you can. But I can see it as a bit of a bubble that will have to come down to earth at some point, once people see that its hard to even make $100 on an app.

I think you also have to offer a reasonable amount of support, because I think most of the people that buy code are not developers at all, just general people who want a game in the app store. The most successful source codes seem to also have Udemy courses on how to use and set the code up.