What do you guys think of the OUYA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Deewin, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I know it got terrible early reviews and impressions but for 99 dollars I bought one anyways for the heck of it, and I'm actually really, really surprised. Most of the games are really well optimized for 1080P and I really enjoy the experience of playing Final Fantasy III and League of Evil on an actual Gamepad. One of the things that always drove me nuts about mobile gaming on the iPhone/iPad is that sometimes iOS updates will render a game incompatible and sometimes the developer either takes a while or never updates the app because they moved on. This was never an issue with console gaming and I don't think it will be an issue with the Ouya.

The software out at the moment is really anything special but what really made the price worth it was the ability to play the games I used to play as a kid while growing up via emulator apps. Gameboy, Nintendo, Snes, Genesis all the way up to the n64 and PS1. The 2D emulators all work perfect and the n64 one so far is a hit or miss depending on the title. I know you can do these types of emulations on the PC (or even a WII) but I prefer having a dedicated console to do this an enjoy them with a laid back experience on a nice big screen tv :)

I hope this things ends up being a success, but I have a feeling that Apple's next big market is going to be the redefining the TV experience and their iOS7 gamepad enabled apis are going to play a huge role in this :-D

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I prefer my mobile games on my mobile, rather than on my 50" LCD. I got my console on that :).

I do want a gamepad for my iPhone though! I'm waiting for the release of the icontrolpad 2 to launch or the bladepad. As for emulation, well some will like that aspect. Most will dislike that for obvious reasons.

3. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I hope you realize the PS1 is the only emulator not for iOS devices.
    So I can literally play nearly every game you played.

4. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    As for the OUYA, I wasn't really fond of it, considering my iPad and iPod solve my indie gaming needs, along with my PC. I hope I can see some more reviews of it though.

5. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I used to play emulators on my iPad and iPhone, but the experience isn't the same as on a bigger screen and I don't really like touch screen gaming for games that are designed for tactile controls. So far, the emulation alone is it for me but once I get more controllers and a few buddies I'm going to try out this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obma4F2IKB8

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I hate it. The name sucks, but the console does look stylish at least. Stylish, affordable, and easy-to-use.

But I hate it. It's essentially bringing mobile gaming to the home television screen. Everything on iOS, that kind of stuff, is being brought to the television... I think it's just another rivet to be blasted out before the bridge of gaming comes undone completely.

I already passionately express my disdain for where console games are going, and how gaming in general is starting to become nothing more than Angry Birds and Cut the Rope (in the near-future at least). The consumers are becoming too used to freemium games and $1 masterpieces, and they refuse to buy consoles for a lot of money anymore. It may be a vocal minority, but I have seen and heard many people talk down on console gaming because it's too expensive and Cut the Rope makes them happy.

Whatever makes them happy is okay, but I fear this mentality is spreading like wildfire with the perpetuation of substance-devoid Facebook Social games, the popularity of such thin gameplay concepts as stuff like Angry Birds, and all that jazz. Mobile games have come a long way, and they are certainly enjoyable, but not on the same level as something on the consoles.

The OUYA is just another reminder to me that people have no idea what they're doing when they support this kind of stuff. This digital era is pissing me off so much and I can honestly see a future where I will still be playing my PS3, GameCube, Vita, Xbox original, and skip the next generation entirely. I don't want to support horrible gimmicks that take away from the experience of gaming, like Kinect and Move. More immersion? Maybe. But it's also less intuitive and more frustrating as a result of this.

This dystopian digital future is probably far away, but history repeats itself, and I fear we will see another explosive gaming crash in the next decade. Even if it doesn't crash, though, every single time a game becomes too popular on the App Store, or consoles like the OUYA sell out... it's baby steps to an apocalypse where the market will become endlessly saturated in too many games, too many people will realize they are playing the same crap over and over, and then they will turn away from it.

Convenience is wonderful. Trust me, I'm lazy. But we are becoming too wishful of convenience. Everything can literally be done in the comfort of your own bed. Hypocritically, I am always in my bed because I have never have the energy to do anything (except post insanely long comments that no one will read :p), and I think it may not be just because of this depression. I think it's because gaming and movie-watching has become too convenient. I've become accustomed to being able to just flip over and grab my phone and play a game, or roll back over and gently touch the next Netflix thing I want to watch. Everything I want to do is in a reachable distance from my pillow. And it is scaring the hell out of me.

It's time for a change, and I want to change. I hope this is the pinnacle of the digital age, because if it gets even simpler than this, then the terrible future that WALL-E portrays gets closer and closer :(

7. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I still hook up my dreamcast and play with my cousin, brothers and friend. The memories :)

8. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Powerstone 2 is still my favorite party game ever :)

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Oh yes! But we play Wacky Races 4-player! The laughs :D

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This.

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    i lost interest in the Ouya when I read you couldn't download games from Google play, it's hard enough to get good games on Android never mind limited that selection further I think people would be better off hooking their phone up to the Tv and a controller.

The early reviews I read pretty much slated it as well

12. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Is there a need for big screen IAP filled games?

When I first heard of this, I was thinking it would have some more "deep" games, and now I guess it is just like a big iOS style gaming console. I hope it turns out to be more than that.

13. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The issue is saw with the ouya, was the outdated hardware. Newer games will not run great, unless they can upgrade the cpu/gpu/ram.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    That doesn't make any sense. The games are all designed for OUYA, so they should work great on it. It is Android based, but it is not an Android mobile platform, it is a console that happens to have Android underneath. Games will be designed specifically for it. I'm not claiming this is working out in practice, because I don't have one. Like many, I'm waiting to see how it plays out. The price is certainly right, though. I might end up picking one up sooner rather than later - the price is in impulse buy territory.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Dude, just get your meds in order, get off your butt and go outside, and maybe you'll feel better about things!

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #16 Gov, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Well what I've learned is, that there will be a new Ouya released every year. With better processors etc. The CEO said they will offer a new version of the hardware, every single year.

You'll see the Ouya 2 then 3 etc, the current one will have the outdated Tegra 3. Then Tegra 4 an so forth. There strategy is very similar to mobiles.

Great thing is, you games won't be tied to just one Ouya console. You can ditch your old one, and get an upgraded one and use your downloads on it.

Personally, it would be better if you could upgrade your internal CPU/GPU IMO.

17. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I go outside! I don't feel better about things! D:

What you say now, nucka? :eek:

18. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Truthfully I think Ouya has no future it's already been outdated for a year or longer then there are things like Google making their own game console that will likely be compatible with every single game on Play and not just a dozen or so then there are thing's like project shield by Nvidia.

I just don't get why anyone would buy it apart from curiosity.

19. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    You know a lot of people are solely buying it for emulation too. RB has released all his .emu on it.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If you took 95% of Google Play games and put them on a console with a physical controller, they would be unplayable, or at the best, play poorly. It might be that OUYA is hampered by being Android-based. If it was it's own unique hardware/software it wouldn't get people complaining that they can't play their Android copy of Candy Crush Saga on it.