Dead King (next game from Wizard Golf Dev)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by floor27industries, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Dead King is an autorunning platformer starring a resurrected, deposed king. The catch is that you must buy back all of your abilities to return to the throne.

At the start you can only jump. But by finding gold hidden through the levels, you can get new abilities like double jump and the ability to crash through barricades. Instead of there being one endless level there are dozens of distinct levels across different environments.

I am in the early stages of development. Will be opening TestFlight beta soon so I really want to get the feedback of the TA community.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

This has just caught my eye!

3. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Heck yeah, this looks like it'll be good fun. I'd be happy to beta test this!

4. A little more about how the level structure will work. There will be 4 distinct areas and each will have a series of randomly generated levels. If players are getting stuck on any level they can opt to "re-roll" the level for a chance to get a more favorable path.

I will have more screenshots of the world in a bit. But for now, here is a picture of the king grabbing some money. [​IMG]

5. Tankpuz

Tankpuz Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Lookd fun, i like the style and graphics,
    I will keep an eye for this

is it free or pay ?

6. Sponggy

Sponggy Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    This has just caught my eye, looking great

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, this looks really great. I like the idea of earning back all the abilities.

Sounds familiar to Run Roo Run? Or will you be going for distance rather than doing a tiny level

8. It is going to be a paid game and no ads or anything (although you can buy a gem doubler).

9. Cool! Checking Run Roo Run right now. I was thinking longer levels that would take you about 1 minute to beat. The levels will be somewhat auto generated.

10. I am still setting up the Beta test for Dead King. Just need to work out some of these auto-level generator bugs.

If you are interested in testing it, please message me and I will add you to the list.
    [​IMG].

11. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I'm certainly interested in testing, this looks great! We're even prototyping some stuff here in the company that is similar to what you're doing, so yeah, I'm really into this type of game! hehe

12. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Looking cool (like the wall jumping) and glad to see your guys next title gl.

13. RTAMGames

RTAMGames Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Ok, yes, Dead King is an auto runner. But it is so much more.

In today's post I wanted to give a little background to the meta structure Dead King will play.
    Part 1 is earning gold

You play a king, and like any good king you know how to exploit the natural resources and peasants and turn them into gold. At the end of every level you will get a count-up of what you did in the level.
    [​IMG]

Sure you can collect straight up coins, but you can also unlock the ability to turn animal pelts into gold.
    Or you can unlock the ability to turn any remaining life you have into gold.

Basically you spend gold and invest it in skills that will earn even more gold.
    It is all just an analogy life. Deep right? >Mind blown<

Anyway, sign up for the old RTAM mailing list if you want updates. Click Here (I don't spam, think of it as more of Nintendo Power but for your email inbox)

14. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    This looks fantastic!
    It definately looks like there is much more to it then just an auto runner!

15. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Thursday Update: Ability Treasures

So in my last post I mentioned that Dead King is all about gathering treasure to buy stuff. Well here is what you spend it on. Abilities...

Each world (there are 10 of them) has at least one ability locked away in a treasure. You have to fight your way through levels to get to that treasure.

[​IMG]

The level is dead simple. Just a chest to unlock...

[​IMG]

But that chest contains the instructions for an ability. To learn and actually use it, you still need to buy the ability in the shop.

Here is the king joyously jumping as he tries out the new double-jump ability

[​IMG]

As always you can get more info about Dead King here:
    http://eepurl.com/bemIsP

16. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Map Screen

When they say "only the GUI is left" they are 50% done with the game. The updates for the map screen took 3 days but it was worth it. You can now pan between levels, beating a level will switch you to the next one. Really fun and gives a sense of the "world."

Up next is adding more themes and worlds. Stay tuned and sign up for more updates

[​IMG]

17. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Everything I have shown so far of Dead King has been set in the first world, a sprawling Jungle. I am excited to show you the world beyond: The Caves. These dank caverns feature many more spikes than the soft, squishy jungle. Be sure to think quickly and make it out in time

[​IMG]

18. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Spike Boots Prevent Spike Deaths

So one of the most helpful upgrades in Dead King is the spike boot. Normally spikes kill you, but if you buy spike boots your get to bounce off the spikes. Unfortunately boots are one use (you can see them flying off) so be sure to buy lots of them.

[​IMG]

19. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Try it in person

Hey I know a few of you live in the Phoenix Metro region. I will be showing off Dead King at the Grid Bar tonight soliciting feedback. It would be great to meet some of you and to get your input.

Here is more info. It is a bar but you can be under 21 to get in and any age to play the latest build of Dead King.

https://igdaphoenix.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/december-2015-meeting-announcements/

20. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Oh and I forgot to mention if you say you came from the TA forums, I will buy you a beer.