Best 3GS games these days?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirithX, Dec 23, 2009.

1. SirithX

SirithX New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Now that it's been a few months since the 3GS came out, are there any ambitious games out there or in the pipeline that take full advantage of the 3GS hardware and OpenGL 2.0 features? I know that it's not a generally smart move by developers to do so as it would eliminate a majority of the iPhone audience by only catering to those with 3GSs and the newest iPod Touches, but are there any games out there that do?

I'm trying to find some new fun things to do with my 3GS now that I'm on vacation and it seems like Zen Bound, HAWX and maybe NOVA are still the most impressive titles I'm going to find on the platform.

PS: One more question, any recommendations on really fun/addictive quirky titles that have come out recently? I haven't been keeping up with the app store lately and games like Flight Control, Labyrinth, and FS5 Hockey have been incredibly fun games that kept me occupied for months but I'm sure by now there have to be a lot more out there and the Top 100 apps in the iTunes Store isn't really a big help on finding these little gems sometimes.

2. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The UT3 engine is coming to the iPhone for developers to make use of for starts. :cool:

Other than that there's a 3d golf game with 3GS-specific effects and a helicopter game with the same features as well. I can't remember the names off the top of my head though.

3. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    From my experience, Eliminate looks kind of dark on my 2nd gen, but on the videos on TA it looks really bright and colorful on their 3GS's.. ( i prefer NOVA though).. not sure if there is a dif in NOVA...

You could try Ravensword... gets a bit laggy on the 2G touch

4. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

The next Zen Bound will utilize OpenGL ES 2.0 and the new hardware. It's an ambitious project for us, but still unfortunately a number of months away from completion.

5. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Unreal Engine 3 (aka, Alien Aerna or Gears of War 2) :p

6. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Hey I really liked the Zen one but at times I sort of felt depressed or ... pensive.. maybe some more upbeat puzzles/music, like simple but detailed or laborius?

7. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    We have plans in the future for Jet Car Stunts to use some shader effects.

8. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Hm. I would say Asphalt 5. It runs smooth and looks great.

9. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    There is that helicopter game but it really is nothing special at all looking at. And the game itself is boring. Ravensword has good ambitions but fails becouse of the slow rendered graphic and jerky controls even on 3gs with everything turned off.

Give me playeble games even if it is on the cost of some gfx. :S

10. SirithX

SirithX New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I see, well I guess I'll just have to wait to see what games come out utilizing UE3. Glad to hear about Zen Bound 2 btw, the first is one of my favorites.

I'll probably plop down the $7 for NOVA, everyone keeps telling me that game is great!

11. fructose

fructose Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Anything else recently?

12. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I have heard that deadstrike has ragdoll physics for killed zombies when played on a 3gs. That is kinda cool.

However, if you haven't bought Jet car stunts yet... just do it

And if you want a high quality good graphics game at a pretty low price, try ATV off road

13. Ricinator

Ricinator Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    Need For Speed: Shift has and so does Speed Forge Extreme.

14. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Speed Forge has some pretty sweet effects for 3GS. It's also amazing how much improved the Eliminate graphics are on my 3GS compared to my old first gen iPhone

15. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Warp by Freeverse if it ever gets released is said to have 3gs specific features.

16. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    Iron fist 3rd strike
    nfs shift
    asphalt5
    real soccer 10

etc. Lots of gameloft titles have few 3gs
    opimizations, nothing mind blowing but better than nothing :)