Playdek Sale: Ascension, Summoner Wars, Nightfall, Food Fight

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Card, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
  2. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    So, I'm terrible at card-battle games -- had to spend two days learning how to play Yu-Gi-Oh on DS before I could effectively beat the first battle. Which of these is the most newb-friendly?

3. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Ascension is still my favourite IOS game... and my most played game since I've had my iPad.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks, I have all those games but I don't have the expansions for Ascension. Is Summoner Wars good enough to spend $5 on that iap? Only spent 10 minutes trying it out.

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

All fantastic games, definitely recommended. If I had to pick only one, then I would say Ascension.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ascension. I never really got into these card games..but Ascension is the first one that clicked with me. Basic rules is pretty easy to learn. There's depth in how you adjust your strategies on the fly. I'm not at that level and I basically just play random cards. :p

7. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    How is food fight? is the only one i'm missing

8. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Debating on summoner wars. Outwitters came out at the same time so didn't get into it. With dominion coming Thursday also... I dunno! Choices choices...

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I am also terrible at card-battle games. I got Ascension and that may be the most newb-friendly, but I even was lost and gave up playing it. I could tell, though, that it was a well made game --- just not for me.

Glad I gave it a try (also when it was on sale for $.99) though. I had always wanted tor try one, but felt a little intimidated by them.

10. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    4.99 is an absolute steal for the amount of content you get in Summoner Wars right now. Same goes for the 2.99 you can spend for all the content in Ascension. Nightfall is getting a new expansion that will add a lot soon, hopefully next week, so this is a great time to dive into that as well.

12. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    (Food Fight is the most newb-friendly, actually.)

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..yeah..I don't have that yet and will pick it up. Sounds like Food Fight is newb friendly, and actually has a single player "campaign" if I understand it instead of the typical tutorial, then throwing you into the game. Was interested in Nightfall, but sounds like that game is pretty complex. But maybe I should pick it up anyways.. =P

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Summoner Wars is pretty unstable on iPod Touch 4G right?

15. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Guys when will this sale begin ? Want to grab all Ascension expansions :)

16. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    The press release says the sale starts on August 16.

17. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Nightfall is extremely difficult and I could just not get into it like I did with Ascension. Looking forward to buying Food Fight and the last expansion pack in Ascension!

18. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Man, it's not that difficult, trust me! :P
    Nightfall is hard at the beginning but once you master the rules it comes to be pretty awesome and easy to start building strategies. Why don't you give it a second chance? (They've improved the tutorials, btw.)

Not really, I play it on mine and it's cool.

19. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Well I recently bought it when it went on sale like a month ago. The tutorial is so wordy and long I just couldn't sit through it. I want to like it I do but I don't know....maybe I will give it another try.

20. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    So the general consensus is that Ascension is the best of the bunch?