rank changed illogically?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jerry1923, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Jerry1923

Jerry1923 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm wondering does there any other apps that are changed widely in their rank during the holiday?
    I haven't done any advertisement on my game (A Doodle Fly) but the rank is increased suddenly.

http://www.appannie.com/a-doodle-fly-fly-to-mars/ranking/history/

It's now on kids #9. I don't know what's happening. Does there any developers come across the similar situation?

Thanks

2. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Maybe a popular website reviewed it?

3. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's not unprecedented for a game to suddenly jump in rank due to a random spike in downloads, then benefit from it's newly increased visibility. After itunes connect is working again, it'll be interesting to see if the jump in rank you see corresponds to an actual increase in downloads.

I've seen some really wacky things happening in the AppStore, as viewed on an iPhone.

One of my games has been re-listed as $0.99 even though it had been $1.99 for many months, and I'd made no price change (this affects only listings of apps within categories - the app details page remains correct). Another game abruptly disappeared from the top free card game category. Some games have reverted to being displayed with "average review for all versions." Some games are listing the wrong number of user ratings.

I'm assuming that these are problems with Apple's caching servers that'll be quickly resolved on December 29th, but who knows.

Phil

4. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    #190 top paid app overall......dont question it just accept it