Is there some sort of login time limit?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ThumbSnail, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    A lot of times when I've finished writing a post or reply, when I click submit it does not go through because I've been logged out. I'm not sure if this is a forum or browser issue. I looked at the forum options and didn't see anything, but is there some kind of login time limit? And/or is there an option to not be logged out so quickly?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'd make sure your browser isn't doing anything weird. Like any forum, VBulletin here just sets cookies and should keep you logged in basically forever.

3. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    Ok, thank you! I was guessing it was browser related, but I was surprised it was happening in both Safari and Firefox.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #4 bigrand1, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Ya know---There's nothing wrong with my browser, and I've noticed as well, that I'll log in, then write a long wall of text that I've taken awhile to compose, and I hit submit only to see the same thing--says I'm not logged in, and I lose my entire post. Poof! Gone! I've been SO pissed off before when that happens sometimes I just forget the whole thing because I'd have to do it all over again and I don't bother 'cause it'd take too long! I'll hit the back button to no avail. So now to prevent that from happening to me I'll submit the post before I'm done, then edit it, then save. That way, I don't get cut off. I've always wondered if anyone else has had that happen to them but haven't seen it mentioned 'till now!

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I had the same issue and noticed I'd not checked off the "remember me" box next to my log-in name (prior to logging in). No issues with being timed out after that.

6. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ha! That's all it is?! Maybe that's just the ticket! See how it goes now that I've done that! Thanks for the tip! :D

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Also if you are posting something that had taken a long time to write it's worth highlighting and copying the text, then if it disappears it's just a case of pasting when you log back in.

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Makes sense. I've actually taken a picture of it and copied it over before--heh-heh, but Coldar came up with the answer I needed! Problem solved! Once again thanks for that tip! :D