Keep playing through a game or move on to something new?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Aug 19, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    There's nothing worse then getting partially through a game and wondering if you should keep playing it or move on to something new. You're wondering if the game is going to pick up or not. Maybe it's just not the right game for you. Other times you get over that hump and wind up totally loving it. So post the name of the game you're stuck on and list several qualities that you like and dislike about it. Touch Arcade members can then chime in with their advice if you should keep playing it or choose to move on to something new.

2. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    That usually happens for me when I reach an awfully huge difficulty spike (The Fury on MGS3, Pakrat on Stranger's Wrath), I would usually stop playing that game until I had the nerves to keep push through

3. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Sad fact about me - I don't think I've ever finished a game....

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This is was sort of a loaded topic because I'm not sure I want to keep playing Deathwatch. I've completed the first two acts . The graphics are great and it has a triple A feel to it. However it's not very challenging and it's unnecessarily cumbersome managing your team.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've always tried to finish games, but couldnt back then due to the fast moving nature of mobile games.

Ever since i slowed down on the purchases, i have been finishing more and more games, and still get to play games like Temple Run 2, Infinity Blade 3 and MHFU even til now.

Im pretty sure we dont really get bored with the games, but we do get swamped with the rest of our downloads and purchases.

6. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Not even Monument Valley or Thomas Was Alone or any short game?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im pretty sure you have finished a few games of flappy bird.

8. reyreyrey

reyreyrey Active Member

Dec 22, 2014
    I don't stick on a particular game. Every week passes, i decided to search new interesting game. I always Got bored

9. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Something like the Angry Birds series... For Rio, I played until I got to all the bosses. Then an update came out, but the data and progress was on my older Android phone, and I never bothered to figure out how to transfer it over. For other AB games, I did quit them when I've had enough. The Transformers one... too much freemium getting into the way with the waiting. The Star Wars ones... I got through as much as possible without spending excessive times on it.

For tower defense games with a campaign mode and endless zone, I'll play through the campaign/story mode, but will only see how far I can get in endless within a few tries. I won't optimize nor grind to get to level 400 like everyone else, when the best I can currently do is something like lv80.

In general, if I get bored or frustrated (Final Fantasy IV!!), I'll move on. But if I stick to it, the least I'll do is "do the minimum". For example, in puzzle games, just pass the level without getting stars or par time. I'll come back to it later so I don't get stuck on one spot for too long.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    For me it's simply a matter of enthusiasm, and a game can wear that down through various means. Difficulty spike, nominal difficulty areas, grind walls etc. Sometimes I just lose enthusiasm for the plot if I haven't played the game in a while. I find myself wondering if I'm really interested in finding out how the game ends.