Awesome multiplayer iOS games for long-distance relationships

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ziggyonice, May 12, 2013.

1. ziggyonice

ziggyonice New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    So the girlfriend and I are about to do long-distance. We both have an iPhone 5 and she's got an iPad. What awesome iOS games are out there that have support for online multiplayer?

I'll take any suggestions I can get, from the simple stuff (word games, card games, board games, etc.) to the more active stuff (platformers, side scrollers, etc.). Anything co-op would definitely be a plus, but certainly isn't required.

Thanks.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, as much as I hate to mention anything by Zynga because in other areas they're greedy whores, Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends are fun games for to play with a friend. Particularly good for girlfriends/wives who aren't into video games.

3. ziggyonice

ziggyonice New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Haha, good point. My significant other isn't quite that casual of a gamer, but something like a first person shooter might be overdoing it.

I just downloaded Oh My Heroes! which seems like a great option, but I don't see a way to play online with a specific friend, just random people. :/

4. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Good point. Your best bet is to do what awp69 said. Playing these type of games would help stay in touch and you chat right on them also. Zynga hasn't (as of yet) made these games totally unplayable without buying in app purchases.

5. ziggyonice

ziggyonice New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    The games by Zynga are nice, but a lot of them aren't live co-op (more like my turn, your turn, repeat). But I like a few of them.

D some more research and just tried out Mighty Wardens. Very fun hack 'n slash (which translates to easy for the lady friend). In addition, it has in-game chat. How awesome is that for doing long-distance? :)

Really liking this one.

6. Two great two player games are tabletop racing and osmos for couples. Try them out.

7. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Starbase Orion for a long term space conquering rendezvous. Asynchronous romanticism, featuring text chat (metaphorically whisper sweet nothings) and co-operative play. Show that star cluster the only married space team in such a corner of the universe.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starbase-orion/id438375580?mt=8

There's also a co-op themed overhead Tomb Raider

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lara-croft-guardian-light/id394106986?mt=8

8. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Outwitters for sure. There's 1v1 and 2v2 so you can be on a team. Both options have text chat. Plus, it's a blast, and free.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
  10. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Your best options for long distance are gonna be plentyoffish.com and okcupid.com. Both those games can be fun. Altho she won't need those to play...

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Seems like an instanced MMO might be a good thing to try. Something like Pocket Legends or one of STS's other offerings depending on your taste in themes. You guys could just play private games together.

12. plamzi

plamzi Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm the dev of Bedlam MMORPG. We are very couple-friendly and have a more grown-up community than most MMO's, including couples. Players can form parties, hunt and explore the game together. We actually have in-game marriage, and the depth of our world puts games like Pocket Legends in, uhm, its pocket.

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Heroes and Castles. You can even send messages to each other in-game.

14. doughogg

doughogg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Mac Consultant, Research and Promotion Director
    Los Angeles
    Outwitters rules

Definitely Outwitters. My son and I play as a team in 2-on-2 matches and we are having a blast. We also play solo against other people.

If playing as partners, I would recommend taking each game as a learning experience. Also you can chat between yourselves about strategy as you get more into it.

It is great to be able to play with and against people from all over the world and not have to worry about time zones. Also as you improve, you will move up the ranks and have harder competition.

15. necrocat219

necrocat219 Active Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Accountant
    England
    I third Outwitters, there is a point where it does get a bit repetative, but if you have someone you know and get along with well, 2vs2 becomes a blast :)

16. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Can not believe not one person has suggested Clash of Clans yet....

This would be a great game for you guys because, you would create or join the same clan and be able to communicate with each other flawlessly. Its also a great game and one of the few games on the App Store that is completely free with no advertisements. Not to say you can't spend money on it. Supercell makes millions off of this game...

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Because it's horrible. The anti-game.

Junk Jack X would be good though, build yourselves a virtual home together and go exploring, hand in hand. Die by each other's side.

18. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    This. Clash of clans isn't really a "multiplayer game". It's more a log on once every day and collect stuff game. JJX would most likely be a blast if you two are into those type of games.