Fruit vs Veg iOS game ($4.99 -> Free)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by fancypencil, Sep 1, 2012.

1. fancypencil

fancypencil Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Fruit vs Veg is now free for a limited time, starting Labor Day Weekend.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fruit-vs-veg/id546981562?mt=8

Enjoy! And let us know what you think of the game. We're a small indie company, and we spent a year making this game. If nobody likes the game, then we'll probably shut down the company.

Attached Files:

2. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Thanks for the free offer! I'll give this a go. :)

I couldn't help but note that your iTunes ratings are incredibly high, and includes a number of reviews with very high praise; surely you must know there are people who enjoyed your game very much. I'm a big fan of indie developers on iOS, and I hope you'll stay around and make more quality games.

3. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    If it will not be a profitable game for you, your first attempt, I think that you don't have to quit. It's your first game, so don't abandon it yet. Now you know better the hardware for development and you can make another games or different ones. I believe that you are not a large company but you can try though to make at least a second game.

4. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    It seems pretty solid, I like the artwork... but I have to mention that the ad space appearing throughout gameplay is really off-putting for something that you were charging $5 for.

5. fancypencil

fancypencil Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Can you explain the ad space you're talking about? There are no banner ads in the app.

6. fancypencil

fancypencil Member

Apr 23, 2012
    We have a second and third game called Ballonia & Slash It! So far, our costs of paying our employees for the entire year that it took us to make these games is way higher than the profits we're getting. It's hard to compete against big companies that have the user base and ad revenue to hog up all of the high ranking spots. The most we can do is hope and pray that people will like our games and tell their friends to get it. We've sort of run out of money at our company, so we cannot pay for like $150,000 in marketing ads that companies like Chilingo can do.

7. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Thank for this cool game

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    could be that you're charging $5 for a type of game that's been done TO DEATH in the AppStore, and is basically available either for free, or $0.99 via 20 billion other titles...

I'm not above paying for premium titles - hell, this week I've spent a good $45 on 7 titles, not to mention all the $0.99 games I've bought... but really?? $5 for a typical run-of-the-mill physics puzzler? ???

9. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I had a banner ad runnin completely across the top of the screen throughout gameplay, though it just said test adverisement as if it wasn'tt configured. Id look through that code again...

10. fancypencil

fancypencil Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Ah, I see. Yea, we're going to push an update soon to get rid of that. We originally had plans to make this a free app supported by ads. But decided against it at the last moment. The banner ads don't show up for us during testing, but we'll take out the code anyway in the next update. We'll also be adding more ways to earn gold for free.

As for syntheticvoid, yea, but even with our 99 cents games, people still aren't buying it. I guess you're right. We should just give up. The indie iOS game scene is dead with all those Rovio, Chillingo, and EA games out there.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If that's how you really feel...

But the indie Dev scene is very alive, especially here on the iOS.

12. fancypencil

fancypencil Member

Apr 23, 2012
    We'll see how well this game does. So far it's the #15 iPad arcade game, beating out Angry Birds Rio and Seasons, but not regular and space.