Games You Have Purchased That Have Become Free Shortly After

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Burton, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    It's starting to get pretty annoying... My list just keeps growing and I'll probably never learn my lesson -.-

Fastar!
    Bird Strike
    Scoops
    Dizzypad
    Sky Burger
    Mega Jump
    Tilt to Live
    :Shift:
    Tunnel Shoot
    Battle Bears
    Babylonian Twins

And those are just the ones that have gone for free within a month of my purchase... I have twice the length of that list of games that have still gone for free a few months or so after I had bought them.

I definitely understand that it's an effective way of promoting your game, but before I used to be able to SAVE money by getting a game when it goes on sale. Now I'll get it on sale thinking that I'm saving money, but in fact they end up going as far as giving it away for free shortly after.

Oh well.

2. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Quell
    Psychoban

3. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
  4. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Fastar!
    Tilt to Live
    Galcon Labs
    Glyder 2

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Ugh. Yeah, I hate it when this happens.

Fastar! Bird Strike, Dizzypad, Tilt to Live come to mind.
    If free app a day keeps this up, many people might start getting reluctant to spend money, but to wait for it to be free.
    For example, I decided not to buy mega jump, then it went free a few days later. This might become a habit after a while...

6. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    If I paid a dollar or 2, I don't really mind. If its like $7 or what not, than I will rant.

Luckily that hasn't really happened often the past 2-3 years.

It's called having a fairly good sense on how an app is performing and how it will perform in the recent future, kinda like stocks =P

7. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    chop chop runner and chop chop tennis both went free within a week of me purchasing them. Beat it! Went free a while after I bought it.

There have been tonnes of games that have gone on a massive discount really soon after I bought them though.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Shift
    Mega Jump (literally had it a few hours before free!)

9. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Robo Rampage,
    as far as I can remember.

and some others I that where just SEVERLY dropped in price.

All in all I was quite lucky.

10. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
  11. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I think I've had a $6.99 game or two drop to $.99 a few days after I bought it, but I can't remember purchasing a game that went free afterwards. I usually don't buy many $.99-$2.99 apps unless they're just a short high production level app. I only get myself to purchase $6.99-$9.99 apps typically, and then pick up cheaper apps by surprise when they're free. Sometimes I'll see an app, think "that's cool," then don't really give it much thought until it's unexpectedly free out of nowhere.

12. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Chop Chop Runner
    Chop Chop Tennis
    Golf Putt Pro
    Fastar!
    Highborn
    Tunnel Shoot
    Babylonian Twins

13. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Exactly. And getting something while it's new has its own value. Some people can't wait to get the hot new game so they spend the buck or two. If it then goes on sale or free a month later, then they spent the money to have the game before other people who got it at the sale price or for free. I get plenty of great games for free but I'll always continue to buy games.

And to be fair, a lot of the games I see mentioned here are games I would never pay for.

I think that all the complaining about this does more harm than good.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I completely agree with you. It doesn't bother me when a game turns free after I buy it because it means my money went to support that dev. If it's done backwards though, like a game goes free and then the dev suddenly adds in limitations and required purchases....then there's a big problem. That doesn't happen very often, though.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Last time I went to Costco I bought a box of 144 pizza bagels for the hefty sum of $11.99. Yesterday when I went back, there was a woman standing next to the freezer just giving them away! Cooked and all!

I'm done with pizza bagels AND Costco.

16. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Babilonian Twins
    Quell

17. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Fastar!
    Bird strike
    Tilt to live
    Highborn
    Quell
    Psychoban
    Jump o'clock
    Chop chop tennis

And many more, I don't remember right now.

18. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Guys, again, rule of thumb, never instantly buy something unless it's on an LIMITED time intro sale, or if you personally want to fully support the dev. Just keep playing your other games, I'm sure the majority here have tons of games they haven't started. If you really are that impatient, get it if it doesn't go down anytime soon. Now, with the percentages slimmed, if you do happen to get a game that goes on sale after, be happy that you supported the developer (if it was a good game). This is what I do and I really don't have any purchase to regret. Oh, but I have a really thorough check on feedback and reviews before buying a game to see if it's right for me- that's a big plus.

19. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Happens all the time. Just a fact of life.

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Chop Chop Ninja
    Chop Chop Runner
    Chop Chop Tennis
    Fastar!

ugh... I regret that so much...