Dumb things about iPhones?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, May 22, 2017.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    OK, so I love my iPhone 6s Plus...... will keep it til it dies or is really obsolete.... but I have 2 issues with it..... one software, one hardware.

1. The screen / phone timeout is 1,2,3,4,5 minutes....... or never..... why not a nice choice like 15 minutes or 30 minutes? 5 is too short and "never" is not a good idea for my battery.

2. That stupid button on the side that makes it so I don't hear my phone ring..... why is it so easy for it to switch when it is in my pocket? Make it harder to switch the position.

Anything you hate about your iPhone?

For the life of me, I can't comprehend why we don't have more choices on screen / phone timeout.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Totally agree with your number 1. I haven't experienced number 2 but that's probably because my case covers that switch just enough that I have to reach in with the tip of my finger or finger nail to flip it. Maybe you can find a similar case.

I really dislike where they put the lock button on the 6+. I hold my phone mostly in my left hand and that switch is hard to reach the way I hold it. It requires that I shift the phone down in my grip or just use the other hand. If they switched the mute and lock buttons it would be better.

3. KevinC120

KevinC120 Member

May 17, 2017
    I feel like you should easily be able to customize the lock time. Get rid of the different options and let us put in whatever we want lol

4. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Great idea.... I mean, we know what we want to do with our phones.

5. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer

I hate my iPhone6 right now due to:
    1. Slow response when trying to call/msg somebody from contacts.
    2. Sometimes it hangs.
    3. GPS location detection is so damn weak. (Im literally outside, and it says cannot detect location).
    4. 3g/4g line slow to recover (even when my friend's Xiaomi internet works well in elevator, but not my iPhone6).

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't experienced accidental mute-switching, but I actually keep my phone on mute 95% of the time anyway. Well it doesn't switch out of mute in my pocket. And I don't seem to have an issues with the phone GPS being weak or slow. Works fine.

I guess if I had any complaint about my iPhone 6 it's that it doesn't seem as fast as when I first got it.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    1) I would have been happy with an option to stay unlocked if plugged in / charging. Time should either be a dial or include a few others like 10, 15, 25, 45, 60 / etc...

2) Have my iPhone 6 Plus in an OtterBox Commuter, which solves this one nicely w/out being too bulky. What I hate here are apps that do not respect the switch! There should be NO SOUNDS AT ALL when this is switched!

And a minor one to add: I love how the Plus is a bit more iPad like, especially in landscape mode - I wish it take that a step further by being totally orientation agnostic and rotate properly when it's upside down.

8. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Interestingly, there are at least two apps that I know of that do properly rotate when your device is upside down: Puzzle and Dragons and The Quest. Not sure why it's a feature, but it's possible to do.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The original version of The Quest had options to set any of the four orientations - and that dates back to when I was playing it on a 2nd gen iPod Touch! ;)

And that reminds me - storage of app data sucks. Unless the app developer builds something into the app (like the aforementioned The Quest with iTunes File Sharing) you lose your app data if you remove the app from your device. The only other place where it gets saved is your backups (and there is software to explore those) made while the app was installed.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Another app that rotates upside down is Shazam. Which makes sense since the mic is on the bottom of the phone. So you can rotate it to point the mic at the music source.

11. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Well, since I posted.... 3 major issues with my phone....

It would not connect to a network when I went to Boston.

It would not go past the Apple logo screen until Apple worked with me on it.... took over an hour for them to get it working.

And then, last week it asked me to "register your new iPhone." That was another bitch to fix.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Actually there is one thing that drives me crazy. In Apple Maps if you are navigating and then use the feature that lets you sub-navigate to coffee or a restaurant. After you do that, and tap to resume the original route, the screen will dim after a while instead of staying bright like it normally does. It's been doing this for a while and they've never fixed it. Maybe in iOS 11....

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yup. I had that on my old HTC Tytn II Windows Mobile phone years ago. It's annoying that that useful functionality is lost in the iPhone.

14. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    iOS 11 has the option to remove apps, but leave their data behind.

15. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    To me the most stupid one is the fact they remove the slide to unlock.
    That's like the iconic feature of iPhone.

16. asobitech

asobitech Member

Nov 2, 2016
    As a previous Symbian 60, Windows Mobile, Android and now iOS user, getting an iPhone 6 from new.
    The most annoying thing I've found with it, is the fact the SNOOZE time is set to 9 minutes and cannot be changed.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Good news!