Universal Tengami - (by Nyamyam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 19, 2014.

1. This game is awesome! Keep up the good work!!!

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tengami is very difficult. I am stuck after hardly a few screens. First adventure game where I hit a brick wall so early in the game...

3. Loda74

Loda74 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Found this to be quite good. Only an hour or so gameplay though, so quite short.

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Just finished Tengami. It was one of the more beautiful things I've ever played. I don't know that it was one of the most fun, but it was alright. But, like I said, very beautiful. As far as experiences go, I will walk away feeling positive.

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #85 y2kmp3, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Bought this game a while back but did not get a chance to play it until now.

There is no doubt that the strong element of this game is its visual aesthetics. To this end, the developer deserves a lot of credits for making an engine that can render the pop-up effects so seamlessly and so fluidly. I can easily imagine each scene existing in real life in a real pop-up book that can fold and unfold just like in the game. Along with a beautifully scored soundtrack, the game is filled to the brim with atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the Achilles' heel in this game is its paper-thin puzzles (pardon the pun). The puzzles are sparse in number in a game that is already too short in length. I also found all of the puzzles to be trivially simple. As well, I am puzzled by the decision of the developer to use the last puzzle to turn this game into a hidden object game hunting for hidden symbols. This puzzle and a similar puzzle shortly before it simply do not fit into the intended tone of the game, particularly when they are contrasted against puzzles that succeed in truly leveraging the folding mechanics such as the two puzzles in which you need to choose the correct folds to form a climbable path. In all, the lack of satisfying puzzle play is a real missed opportunity for a game that is trying to make a great effort to experiment with novel and interesting mechanics.

6. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I really dont recommend this game to anyone. Art-game fans will expect a lot and get no emotional payback, adventure game fans will not get any challange or provocation. I appreciate the effort here, but I really think this game is a waste of time in a pretty wrapper. I bought this for a buck and I kinda feel like my money has gone to waste.
    Pretty weak. I dont understand the high reviews. If you are wondering weather to get this - wait for a sale if you must. Or just dont - looking at the pretty screenshots is all you need. Everything else is just really slow walking and weak haikus.

7. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Christ, in what world is one dollar for a beautiful digital pop-up book a waste?

8. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Wuhuuu one more backlog game is finished and it was a good experience.

Graphics

This is definitely the strong point of this game. Even though the game is a bit old by now the graphics still hold up. The way the game looks and how the look and style weave into the gameplay is unique, decent looking and creates a fantastic atmosphere. Even though I would habe liked a little bit more depth to the character sometimes and I found a very minor amount of edges after folding something that could be improved, I am overall very impressed by the mood the game is setting and the great graphical style which is so unique. Bonus point for uniqueness here.

4.8/5

Sound

This is another strong suit. When you get used to the graphical style and have seen it before so to speak, the sounds still go strong, especially in the later part of the game. While there are 2 or 3 bad sound loops where you hear a loop ending and starting again, it is overall phenomenal usage of sound. I also like the absence of music on a lot of scenes and a soundtrack that can carry the game by itself at that point is really great.
    The music y well done and very fitting as well.
    I only would have liked some more sound effects, like footsteps or other things in the environment which I felt like were too sparsely used.

Gameplay

This one has me think that the puzzle aspect would have better been streamlined more. The puzzles themselves varied for me between trivial and hard (where the harder parts came later) but they were mostly one thing: annoying. This comes not only from the vast amount of backtracking that you have to do constantly but also because the puzzles do distract from the overall experience I've felt.

If I wanted to take in the scenery and just experience the game I had to twist my mind around some puzzles I could and mostly didn't want to solve. This lead to me looking up solutions online and using hints very early just to minimize the amount of distraction I got from the puzzles. Walking is fine but I am not sure while you can't just tap once or hold to move (or both!) to walk around.

This, for me, was more an experience and where other experience games weave in easy puzzles to show you neat effects or scenery the puzzles in this game were mostly annoying as soon as I could not solve them easily. I wanted to see more of he world and the puzzles prevented me far to often from doing that. Coupled with the slow walking speed, no form of teleporting to prevent backtracking the gameplay suffered quite a bit.

2/5

Conclusion

Overall this game was a p good experience. A zen mode with easy puzzles would have done the game a favor but if you are looking for an experience game this game's got you covered while it is a bit flawed in the gameplay department this still holds true. For a price of 4€ though I would suggest to wait for a sale which this game gets every now and then.

3.8/5

9. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The devs must be on drugs, it now requires iOS 9.2 wtf?